1960 Pontiac Ventura

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Dan,
I do have what I was told is the original shifter that came in my 60 and also in my 61. The levers appear to be same. You are correct, all of these repo handles are way too tall. The people making them have the bends correct but they never have taken into consideration the fact that the factory shifter mounts to the side of the tail shaft. The Hurst shifter mounts to a plate that is mounted on the side of the tail shaft. The body of the Hurst shifter is a couple inches higher than the body of the stock shifter. The bends in a Pontiac shifter are similar to the bends in a 63 Super Sport although not the same. The photos below are not the best but the car with the red interior is the 60, that is a repo lever on a Hurst shifter. The blue car is the 61, that's a stock lever.20160201_171247.jpg

Attachments

• 20150801_114937.jpg
    20150801_114937.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 57

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I will see I can make templete of the original handle, scan it and send it to you

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pontiac never heard of the KISS system I guess, they got lots of stuff Chevies didn't need/get.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Actually, I think the 60 dash looks even better than the 61 Pontiac and that's say'n something! !

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Actually, I think the 60 dash looks even better than the 61 Pontiac and that's say'n something! !
Yes Tommy I am going to have to agree with you. Here is a pic of the front end on jack stands when I was doing the backup light harness. I'm going to post it for Troy.

20160228_115232.jpg

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Looking good. I've never met Troy but he only lives a couple of hours from me. He is good buddies with the guy that I bought my 60 from

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I wanted to show the Neutral Safety Jumper that Pontiac used on 4-speed 1960-65. The first pic is a original, a reproduction of this is available from Fabcraft for 19.95 + 9.95 shipping (29.90). I decided to make my own as I have factory GM connectors and plugs, not exactly the same as the original but it was a savings of 30.00 bucks I could spend somewhere else...:deal

Neutral Saftey Jumper.JPG Nuetral Saftey Jumper 1.jpg Nuetral Saftey Jumper 2.jpg Nuetral Saftey Jumper 3.jpg

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Dan,
I can't get under the dash yet (at least with the cane I can go to the shop now) I stuck the camera under the dash and took this photo. It may be the jumper that you just made, it is mounted just to the left of the steering column on my 60. 20160306_160646.jpg

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Another detail item for you, the cover (looks like a dutch hat) on the "hot nut" going to the starter . When I bought the car the owner pointed that cover out me, said he was able to find an NOS one.

Attachments

• 20160306_160310.jpg
    20160306_160310.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 53

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Another detail item for you, the cover (looks like a dutch hat) on the "hot nut" going to the starter . When I bought the car the owner pointed that cover out me, said he was able to find an NOS one.
Never saw that cover before...:scratch

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
62 Chevrolet 4 speed jumper, seems easier.

I like seeing all the different Pontiac stuff!!

Attachments

• IMG_2455.JPG
    IMG_2455.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 29