1960 Pontiac Ventura

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Dan,
I wish I could help but it's going to be several days before I can go to the shop. I remember that my 60 has the same connection s that yours has coming from the back up light switch and those two wires go up the firewall and from there I'm not sure where they go through the firewall.
I doubt the Pontiac being the same as the Chevrolet, the 60 and 61 Pontiac's use a fuse box that is wired into the harness , the Chevrolet wires plug into the fuse box. That's why the Pontiac harness is so expensive.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan,
I wish I could help but it's going to be several days before I can go to the shop. I remember that my 60 has the same connection s that yours has coming from the back up light switch and those two wires go up the firewall and from there I'm not sure where they go through the firewall.
I doubt the Pontiac being the same as the Chevrolet, the 60 and 61 Pontiac's use a fuse box that is wired into the harness , the Chevrolet wires plug into the fuse box. That's why the Pontiac harness is so expensive.
Tommy,
I know you would help if you could. I posted the same request over at PY hoping maybe Stewart or someone else will be able to help. I am ready to put the body on and would like to have that harness in place prior to installing the body.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan,
Tommy,
Do you know what the hole in the floorboard looks like on your 60 or 61, is it just a hole or is it trimmed out to match up with the shift porch? I used a 4" hole saw that lines up with the same 4" hole in the shift porch but was wondering if I should trim the material out below the hole so debris can't get caught in between the shift porch and the floorboard. You can see in the pic the amount I have drawn out below the hole that could be trimed so there would be no chance of debris to get caught. I think it should get trimmed but I also want it to look correct.

20160222_154347.jpg 20160222_154416.jpg

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Dan,
I answered you over on the Pontiac site. I hadn't seen this response. I think you have the hole about right. Pontiac didn't seem to hack the hole out like Chevrolet did.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan,
I answered you over on the Pontiac site. I hadn't seen this response. I think you have the hole about right. Pontiac didn't seem to hack the hole out like Chevrolet did.
Thanks Tommy, I asked you another question over there...:rub

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Also wanted to show the exhaust hangers I made up. I looked at what was available aftermarket and they where just made of tin...:doh so, I decided to make my own using a original to make a pattern. They are made from 3/16" plate, like originals, so substantialy heaver then aftermarket crap. The two originals are on the right. The third original was pitted pretty bad so I replaced it.

20160219_105055.jpg 20160219_105035.jpg
20160219_105414.jpg

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The exhaust hangers look great!! I'm sure you are aware that the 425a exhaust is different from the smaller engine cars. There is a article in the Shark Bites newsletter that I was reading about the 425a exhaust. They had shorter mufflers, I believe they were 20 inches long with 2.25 exhaust pipes and 2 inch tail pipes I believe. Also the tail pipes had the double cut like Chevrolet s had. I'll look that article up again tomorrow.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The exhaust hangers look great!! I'm sure you are aware that the 425a exhaust is different from the smaller engine cars. There is a article in the Shark Bites newsletter that I was reading about the 425a exhaust. They had shorter mufflers, I believe they were 20 inches long with 2.25 exhaust pipes and 2 inch tail pipes I believe. Also the tail pipes had the double cut like Chevrolet s had. I'll look that article up again tomorrow.
Yep I'm going 2-1/4".

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Dan ,hanger's look just as original. How did you cut them out chop saw or what, in order to retain the little bend tab's.And how did you bend them to all look the same??? Can you by the strap material??

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan ,hanger's look just as original. How did you cut them out chop saw or what, in order to retain the little bend tab's.And how did you bend them to all look the same??? Can you by the strap material??
I cut them out of some 3/16" plate that I had with a 1/32" cutting wheel on a L head grinder then sanded them on my 12" disc sander and bent them in my vice cold.
Sander is in the back ground of pic.

20151105_091405.jpg

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I cut them out of some 3/16" plate that I had with a 1/32" cutting wheel on a L head grinder then sanded them on my 12" disc sander and bent them in my vice cold.
Sander is in the back ground of pic.

View attachment 43700
Just wondering ,I go through a lot of cutting wheel's when I cut thick metal like that ,but I don't have the thin wheel's maybe that is the trick.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks, wheels are 17's & 20's.
Really? I don't know why I had it in my head that much difference wouldn't look as good as it does. I was trying to avoid using 18's & 20's, but I'm going to reconsider those now. But I'm having a hard time finding 18's & 19's in matched sizes.
What size tires are you using?