1960 Pontiac Ventura

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Quick Pontiac question. I had a friend back in about 61 or so that had a great looking Silver 58 Bonneville Tripower and a 4 speed. Being a Chevy guy I never thought about the 4 speed, but did Pont put 4 speeds in back then?
No, first use of 4 speed transmissions in Pontiacs was 1960. I have a letter from Pontiac dated 1963 stating that 722 cars were built in 60 with the 4 speeds. Heck, I was supprised, the same letter states that only 1487 were built in 61 and then in 62 they sold 7771. Wonder how many 4 speeds did Chevrolet sell in those years. I don't know about other areas but where I grew up you didn't see a lot of Pontiacs and most of what you did see were 4 door family cars.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thanks Tommy.

What I remember was this car was "stunning"!!! Silver 58 Bonneville Tripower 4 speed, I never forgot it.

I have a rebuilt 59 Borg Warner 4 speed out of a Corvette and thought it was possible, but never asked.

Thanks, Pat

PS, did I say it was "Stunning"?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Don:

That one is "above my pay grade" to be sure !

Funny thing though, I tend to buy them rough and then throw a lot of time and $$$ into them, and end up spending just as much sometimes :).
I just drip the dollars over a longer period of time so as not to catch the attention of my better half :)....

Best, TomK

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
l
Quick Pontiac question. I had a friend back in about 61 or so that had a great looking Silver 58 Bonneville Tripower and a 4 speed. Being a Chevy guy I never thought about the 4 speed, but did Pont put 4 speeds in back then?
Pat, As Tommy mentioned 60 was the first year for 4-speed and it wasn't offered until mid year prodution. Here is the document that Tommy was refering to.

1960  SOS Pontiac 4 spd stats.jpg

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Dan,
I'm sorry, I forgot, you sent me that document. I was also suprised that they sold more cars in 60 than the other two years.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan,
I'm sorry, I forgot, you sent me that document. I was also suprised that they sold more cars in 60 than the other two years.
Tommy,
It is interesting that there was more cars sold in 1960 then 61 & 62 because the 61 & 62 seem to be more popular. Guess the new owners of the 1960 models were stuck with their vehicles for the next few years...:poke

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tommy, Pontiac outsold Chevy in Canada in some years.

A 58 Chevy with a factory 4 speed was talked about, but never proven, but I've heard stories of them coming with a 4 speed in the trunk and then the dealer would install them. Maybe that was possible with a 58 Pontiac as well? Looking at the 4 speed parts on Dan's 60, I wonder what would have been needed to install a 4 speed in a 58?

Since the frame and drive train of the 58 Canadian Pontiac is a Chevy, the 4 speed would have been easy to do to a Canadian Pontiac.

Don

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am trying to find information about the backup light extension harness for 4-speed for my 1960 Ventura. This is the harness that goes from the switch at the transmission and plugs into the main harness or fuse panel. From what I understand 1960 and 1961 used the same harness, from the 1964 Pontiac MPC
it shows Group # 2.698 1960-61 4 speed harness part # 2976875. I have been unsuccessful in locating a manufacturer that reproduces this harness such as American Auto wire or M&H Electric.
My question, is there anyone here that has a car with factory 4-speed and backup lights that could provide information as to the color code of the wire harness, its routeing from the switch at the transmission up the back of the engine and trough the firewall and last its concretion point in the main harness or fuse panel. Some pictures along with this information would be greatly appreciated.
Also I'm thinking the backup harness that plugs into the neutral safety switch for automatic transmission may be where I will need to make the connection.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dan

20160124_170220.jpg 20160126_122741.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sorry can't help on the wiring, but you might want to check the first/ second shift lever nut to be sure it's tight, unless the stud is just shorter than third/ fourth.