1960 Pontiac Ventura

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Dan,
That is very interesting materisl, where did you find that manual? Jim Matteson, owner of PHS had told me that he felt less than 25 four speed car were actually built so I'm supprised there was a manual printed. Unfortunately Jim can't document them as his records only go back to 61 and not all 61's

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Dan when you started the the transmission choice were you planning ah:crazyead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:DYou rebuilt and painted the auto column and put the auto tran's in!!!!!!!:confused:confused:confusedNow you are going to standard??????

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan when you started the the transmission choice were you planning ah:crazyead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:DYou rebuilt and painted the auto column and put the auto tran's in!!!!!!!:confused:confused:confusedNow you are going to standard??????
Yes, I always try to plan ah:crazyead...:think

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan, you must have pretty good sources for parts. That stuff has to be very rare. Did you find all the pedals, linkage, shifter, floor cover and column all together? Do you have to make any of the parts you need. Interesting stuff. Jon
Yes, I am pretty resourceful and was lucky enough to know the right people. This stuff is extremely hard to come by but I knew of a few guys that had it and I was able to purchase it complete minus two things the steering column and the shift porch. I was lucky enough to know someone local that had the column but the shift porch is much harder to come by, I don't have it, I will probably make that myself or modify another reproduction GM one. The 61-64 shift porch is much easier to find but still different and I would never cut one of those up for my application.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan,
That is very interesting materisl, where did you find that manual? Jim Matteson, owner of PHS had told me that he felt less than 25 four speed car were actually built so I'm supprised there was a manual printed. Unfortunately Jim can't document them as his records only go back to 61 and not all 61's
Tommy,
Yes the 4-speed manual is extremely hard to come by but it is available.

blkss64

Well Known Member
Yes, I am pretty resourceful and was lucky enough to know the right people. This stuff is extremely hard to come by but I knew of a few guys that had it and I was able to purchase it complete minus two things the steering column and the shift porch. I was lucky enough to know someone local that had the column but the shift porch is much harder to come by, I don't have it, I will probably make that myself or modify another reproduction GM one. The 61-64 shift porch is much easier to find but still different and I would never cut one of those up for my application.
Did Pontiac use a cast iron B/W T-10 in that year. That is what it looks like in the manual. did you manage to find a driveshaft or do you have to make a new one or modify your old one? Is your shifter going to be an original one or are you going with a Hurst? Your projects are cool! Itchin to get back to the Buick?

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Pontiac continued to use the cast iron cased T-10 even through 1962, I'm not sure about 1963.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Dan,
Fabcraft makes a shifter poarch for a 61 that you can probably modify to fit your floor pan.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did Pontiac use a cast iron B/W T-10 in that year. That is what it looks like in the manual. did you manage to find a driveshaft or do you have to make a new one or modify your old one? Is your shifter going to be an original one or are you going with a Hurst? Your projects are cool! Itchin to get back to the Buick?
Jon,
As Tommy mentioned, yes cast iron main case. I will just have my front shaft re-tubed and probably use a Hurst linkage. As I have mentioned before I was not planning on taking this car this far but as Tommy says " I just can't leave well enough alone". I also want to get back on the Buick and get that car finished up. I am just about the same place on it. Once its done I have plans for another project. Thanks for the complements.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan,
Fabcraft makes a shifter poarch for a 61 that you can probably modify to fit your floor pan.
Tommy,
I will take a look at what Brad has, thanks. Here are a couple pics of 62 and 64 from a friends cars. First 2-pics are 62, last 2-pics are 64.

20151204_161420.jpg 20151204_161201.jpg 20151204_155454.jpg 20151204_155317.jpg

Last edited:

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Dan,
I would think you could make that fiberglass poarch work. You know there 4 different poarches in 1961. One for the Catalina/Ventura with bench seat, one for this model with the bucket seats and then the same thing for the Bonneville/Star Chief with bench seat and one for the Bonneville/Star Chief with bucket seats. The Catalina/Ventura floor board was different from the Bonneville/Star Chief because they used different transmissions. Just a tid bit of useless information, oh and the bench seat poarches had round holes and round boots whereas the bucket seat cars had square holes with square boots

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan,
I would think you could make that fiberglass poarch work. You know there 4 different poarches in 1961. One for the Catalina/Ventura with bench seat, one for this model with the bucket seats and then the same thing for the Bonneville/Star Chief with bench seat and one for the Bonneville/Star Chief with bucket seats. The Catalina/Ventura floor board was different from the Bonneville/Star Chief because they used different transmissions. Just a tid bit of useless information, oh and the bench seat poarches had round holes and round boots whereas the bucket seat cars had square holes with square boots
Tommy,
I started to say that in my previous post and then deleted it. If you notice the pic of the 62 porch is Bonneville while the 64 is Catalina. I have two freinds with original 60 shift porches. Once I get a look at one of those I will make a decision.

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pontiac sure went to a lot of trouble to do that many different variations on the floor and the shifters. Expensive for the manufacturing.

Don