1960 Pontiac Ventura

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Been working on some small stuff the last few days like all the rubber plugs that go in the floorboards and trunk pan. I blasted them then washed with soap and water and installed. Very time consuming but these are all original to the vehicle and in excelent condition. Then went down to the local upholstery shop and picked up some tack strip for the headliner and some new insulation for the firewall pad. My cardboard was in real nice shape but the 1" fiberglass insulation was falling apart. The dash cover also used the same 1" fiberglass insulation so I got enough to do that as well. Cleaned up the firewall cardboard, made up the new insulation pad and glued it on with contact cement. Went to lunch, came back from lunch and installed the firewall pad...:brow Then today I installed the tack strip and then the headliner, no wrinkles used my heat gun. I also picked up a upholstery stapler and a new pair of scissors from these guys.
http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/staplers.html

View attachment 40882 View attachment 40883 View attachment 40884 View attachment 40885 View attachment 40886 View attachment 40887
Very nice!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks guys for the complements, it really did turn out nice. The paint is Acrylic Lacquer so it has a matte finish once cured. The original dash and garnishes had a semi gloss finish while the dash cover had the matte finish so, I took some 2000 and wet sanded it then hand rubbed it trying to get it to the same sheen as the original finish and I think I nailed it. I also took the instrument cluster apart and painted it with a interior matte finish to match original. It is chrome cast potmetal and only the backdrop is painted while the bezels are chrome so there was a lot of masking in order to get it right.
The other thing I wanted to mention is the condition of the original chrome on all of the interior is very very nice including the window cranks and door handles with no pitting or blemishes, it just needed a little bit of cleaning and detail which makes it a very easy restoration. One of the benefits of starting with a clean car to begin with...:deal

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dash and new wire harness is in. Still need to finish up the wire harness, pull the engine harness through and mount the fuse block. The dash and engine harness are one unit with no bulkhead fittings.Will work on that and the brake pedal assembly tomorrow.

20151122_171818.jpg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So you decided to stay with automatic ,,,,,,,,ey!!!!:brow:brow

Dan is getting older now and planning for the future when he can't drive with that 3rd pedal.........:D:D

Oh and that car is looking great with those the lights in it.

Don

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan is getting older now and planning for the future when he can't drive with that 3rd pedal.........:D:D

Oh and that car is looking great with those the lights in it.

Don
I just had to put that Hydromatic in there and stare at it for awhile. The changeover is in the works NOW...:brow