1960 Pontiac Ventura

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Hey Dan ,isn't that heater box suppose to be black ?????:poke:poke:D:D
I don't know about a 1960 Pontiac but in 1961 the Pontiac heater box and the clutch and brake pedals were painted to match the lower dash color.
Another Pontiac thing was the firewalls were painted like a Chevrolet but the top of the cowl was painted black.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I guess Dan will have to say what is was originally!!!!:dunno:dunnoI thought it might have been heater box gray or black.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I guess Dan will have to say what is was originally!!!!:dunno:dunnoI thought it might have been heater box gray or black.
Well its a Pontiac so things were done a little different.
If you veiw the pics I posted answering Dons post you can clearly see the heater box is the same color as the dash and garnish moldings.
I don't know about a 1960 Pontiac but in 1961 the Pontiac heater box and the clutch and brake pedals were painted to match the lower dash color.
Another Pontiac thing was the firewalls were painted like a Chevrolet but the top of the cowl was painted black.
Tommy is correct on all counts...:clap and don't forget the parking brake pedal arm but, the brake and parking brake are painted the same color as the dash cover Dark Burgundy Poly...:D

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Less than 11 months to this point...just makes me sick!:cry Love following this build, and the quickness with which you work and the level that you do it at...wow. If you could just keep knocking these builds out and posting over the next four or five years as I do mine, I'd appreciate it. It could be used a motivational tool.:D

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Less than 11 months to this point...just makes me sick!:cry Love following this build, and the quickness with which you work and the level that you do it at...wow. If you could just keep knocking these builds out and posting over the next four or five years as I do mine, I'd appreciate it. It could be used a motivational tool.:D
Thanks guys for the complements. I'll try to keep you guys motivated but I did take a month off for our 25th wedding aniversery...:D

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 63 is black so I didn't notice anything "abnormal". Pontiacs had way more "bling" to their finish.

Don

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Been working on some small stuff the last few days like all the rubber plugs that go in the floorboards and trunk pan. I blasted them then washed with soap and water and installed. Very time consuming but these are all original to the vehicle and in excelent condition. Then went down to the local upholstery shop and picked up some tack strip for the headliner and some new insulation for the firewall pad. My cardboard was in real nice shape but the 1" fiberglass insulation was falling apart. The dash cover also used the same 1" fiberglass insulation so I got enough to do that as well. Cleaned up the firewall cardboard, made up the new insulation pad and glued it on with contact cement. Went to lunch, came back from lunch and installed the firewall pad...:brow Then today I installed the tack strip and then the headliner, no wrinkles used my heat gun. I also picked up a upholstery stapler and a new pair of scissors from these guys.
http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/staplers.html

20151114_110534.jpg 20151115_121035.jpg 20151115_120946.jpg 20151115_154040.jpg 20151117_135024.jpg 20151117_162524.jpg

Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice job Dan...is that jute?
Thanks Cecil, no its a material they use under auto carpet. It's about 7/16" so I doubled it up and pieced it around the heater box. It forms over the humps and valleys unbelevibly well, you just push it into place and it takes that form. Very nice stuff to work with.