1960 Pontiac Ventura

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Anyone, that has done any Paint work knows, RED paint IS very expensive.:bang Back in the early 90's Ember RED, was around $ 100.00 Gallon, at our local Autobody Store. That forced me, to buy Quarts. In the early 2000's, our politicians decided to put Leaded Paint, on the Hit List.:bat After that, prices doubled, and if your didn't run a Body Shop, they weren't supposed to sell it, to the Genital Public.:cussHaving a couple friends, working there, kept my Ember RED, available. When, I finally needed more, it was $ 69.00 a qt. HOLY $HIT!!! One day, while reading a post, of somebody's resto, I learned about Global, a paint supplier, in California. I bought a half gallon, for around $ 70.00. Not sure, I would paint this car again, in Lacquer, since there are longer lasting, paints available. I DO like this color.:appl:clap

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks like Pontiac's version of Honduras Maroon.
Yep Cecil that is exactly what it is. When I ordered it I gave the pontiac paint code and name Coronado Red and on the invoice sas 1960 pontiac Coranodo Red but, on the paint can it says Honduras Maroon...:brow. The funny thing is though of the Honduras Maroon cars that I have seen i dont remember them being metalic...:dunno

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I did some trading today with one of my buddies and ended up with a couple of Super T-10 4-speeds. One is a 2:64 1st gear and appears to be a 81-82 Camaro Firebird application with a K1312 10/13/81 2nd shift date code and the other appears to be a Richmond Super T-10 3:42 1st gear with a 10/24/79 casting code. The Richmond has a much larger output shaft at 1-3/8" while the other has a 1-3/16" output shaft. Here are a couple pics.

20151213_150853.jpg 20151213_145648.jpg 20151213_145718.jpg 20151213_150315.jpg 20151213_150309.jpg

Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Plan is to use one of these tranys in the Ventura. Need to do a little further research to see which one fits the application best but, I'm kind of leaning twords the Camaro Firebird trany and save the Richmond for a future project. Any input would be welcome.

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Yep Cecil that is exactly what it is. When I ordered it I gave the pontiac paint code and name Coronado Red and on the invoice sas 1960 pontiac Coranodo Red but, on the paint can it says Honduras Maroon...:brow. The funny thing is though of the Honduras Maroon cars that I have seen i dont remember them being metalic...:dunno
Yep, definitely metallic. When I repainted my white 58 DelRay in 1961 I did it in Honduras Maroon.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep, definitely metallic. When I repainted my white 58 DelRay in 1961 I did it in Honduras Maroon.
Yeah I didn't realize it was metallic. I just looked at the 61 paint chart and sure enough Honduras Maroon Poly...:think

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dan, the top trans in your picture is for 82 Camaro/ Firebird... I believe that big hole on the bottom is for the torque arm to mount to... That tail house is going to be tricky to find a shifter for.... I'd use the 2:64 first gear one... Nice score by the way...:beer

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan, the top trans in your picture is for 82 Camaro/ Firebird... I believe that big hole on the bottom is for the torque arm to mount to... That tail house is going to be tricky to find a shifter for.... I'd use the 2:64 first gear one... Nice score by the way...:beer
Thanks Rick, I didn't know that but I do remember Jason talking about that stabilizer bar in another thread way back when, always something to learn, thanks. I wanted it because of the 3:42 1st gear but I think maybe I'll take it back and trade it in for another Richmond.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Rick, I didn't know that but I do remember Jason talking about that stabilizer bar in another thread way back when, always something to learn, thanks. I wanted it because of the 3:42 1st gear but I think maybe I'll take it back and trade it in for another Richmond.
If you really want the 3:42 first gear, you could always find another tail house and main shaft like the other one and switch it out.. Everything in the main case is the same...:deal

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
If you really want the 3:42 first gear, you could always find another tail house and main shaft like the other one and switch it out.. Everything in the main case is the same...:deal
3.42 is pretty deep...you might not like it after a bit.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Looks like you've found the elusive fan blade, eh?

The fun part was the search, but once you got it was transformed into perfection :).

Cheers!
TomK

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
3.42 is pretty deep...you might not like it after a bit.
Dave, I have 3:27 1st in my Bel-Air with the same rear end gears 3:23 and it launches real hard. Figured this cars engine does not have nearly the hp or torque at around 325hp would give a little advantage. The other trany is 2:64 1st and will probably be the one I use.
Anyone else have any suggestions:dunno?