83.9 KB · Views: 47
  • mopar 282 (Small).jpg
    mopar 282 (Small).jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 50

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Car looks awesome!! I've got a few questions:
Is that rollbar from a kit (S&W race cars maybe) or was it custom built?
What size wheels & slicks? What backspacing?

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Car looks awesome!! I've got a few questions:
Is that rollbar from a kit (S&W race cars maybe) or was it custom built?
What size wheels & slicks? What backspacing?

The rollbar was custom made by RJ Profab to meet NHRA 8.50 cert:clap and the wheels are 15x10 w 5"1/2 back space slicks are 29.5x10.5x15

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The rollbar was custom made by RJ Profab to meet NHRA 8.50 cert:clap and the wheels are 15x10 w 5" back space slicks are 29.5X15X10.5

Thank you for the quick reply. Is the rear stock width? I had some 15"x10" wheel vintiques rallys & M/T - L60-15's on my 61 about 15 years ago. I remember that I had to run 6" of BS for them to fit. That was with everything stock so the rear wasn't centered. I've got 15"x8" Pro Stars with 4.5" BS & M/T 28/10.5-15's now and looking to get back to a 10" rim with the same size slick. I know I'll have to measure my own car to see exactly what I need, but it's still nice to see what works for others.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thank you for the quick reply. Is the rear stock width? I had some 15"x10" wheel vintiques rallys & M/T - L60-15's on my 61 about 15 years ago. I remember that I had to run 6" of BS for them to fit. That was with everything stock so the rear wasn't centered. I've got 15"x8" Pro Stars with 4.5" BS & M/T 28/10.5-15's now and looking to get back to a 10" rim with the same size slick. I know I'll have to measure my own car to see exactly what I need, but it's still nice to see what works for others.
The 9” rear end was built to the stock width but I also have it back 1” more then the stock rear end, I did have to massage the inner fender wells though

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just realized that this whole build has only been about 8 months since the car was posted for sale!!! WOW..... I'll be happy if I can get mine to this point in my lifetime. Amazing work.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The 9” rear end was built to the stock width but I also have it back 1” more then the stock rear end, I did have to massage the inner fender wells though

How did you go about getting the rearend 1" back? I saw that your front upper & lower mounts are in the stock positions. Did you just use longer upper & lower control arms?

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
How did you go about getting the rearend 1" back? I saw that your front upper & lower mounts are in the stock positions. Did you just use longer upper & lower control arms?

Yes,
Globle west on the top and lengthened the bottem 1"

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,
Globle west on the top and lengthened the bottem 1"

Can you please post some pics of the rear suspension on the car? I know it's been discussed before, but I don't remember....are there any downsides to using a straight upper control arm? My UMI adjustable uppers are curved like stock arms. They are mounted to the housing in the stock location, but the front mounts have adjustment holes to change instant center. I might be better off to build some rod-ended straight uppers and lowers to move it back like yours.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
For your instant center the upper rear control arms should be up on the rear end housing and the front should be down at about 14 deg angle this is how I have both my drag cars setup

View attachment 22102View attachment 22103

Thank you. I see you still use stock LCA's (Boxed I'd bet).....did you lengthen the actual arms themselves or did you relocate the bracket to set it back an inch? I've got Metco Aluminum LCA's bolted to the stock front frame brackets, but I really like the way you reinforced yours. Maybe I could do something similar there and move them back 1" at the same time....keeping my same control arms.

Also, I see an nice Anti-Roll Bar hiding up there. I have been considering one of those to level up the launch. I can't use airbags because I've switched to coil-overs mounted off a custom bolt-in crossmember I designed. I haven't ran it since....so not sure if it still twists as much as it use to. On second look....I don't know if I could squeeze that anti roll bar in with the coil over crossmember. Looks like it would be close.

Hope I'm not cluttering your thread up to much with my questions. I will start a new one if that's better.

Jason

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thank you. I see you still use stock LCA's (Boxed I'd bet).....did you lengthen the actual arms themselves or did you relocate the bracket to set it back an inch? I've got Metco Aluminum LCA's bolted to the stock front frame brackets, but I really like the way you reinforced yours. Maybe I could do something similar there and move them back 1" at the same time....keeping my same control arms.

Also, I see an nice Anti-Roll Bar hiding up there. I have been considering one of those to level up the launch. I can't use airbags because I've switched to coil-overs mounted off a custom bolt-in crossmember I designed. I haven't ran it since....so not sure if it still twists as much as it use to. On second look....I don't know if I could squeeze that anti roll bar in with the coil over crossmember. Looks like it would be close.

Hope I'm not cluttering your thread up to much with my questions. I will start a new one if that's better.

Jason
Yes i still have the stock LCA all boxed in with graphite bushing and were lengthened under the spring mount. The anti-roll bar is one of the best things you can do:deal

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Any updates? Is the 61 going to be in Thompson?

My block is supposed to go the machine shop tomorrow @ lunch for cleaning, cam bearings, and a light cylinder hone. Unfortunately I have to send the crank to a different machine shop that's in the next town so I don't know when I'll have a chance to take it over.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The 1961 Biscayne pasted the NHRA 8.50 Chassis certification today and now all i need is the engine back to even try:D

mopar 326 (Small).jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It's great to see an update. I'm enjoying following this and the "Homewrecker" thread. If you know of any other drag build threads on here I would like to know about them.
I'm waiting to get my block and crank back from the machine shop(s) too. I'm only shooting for mid 6's in the 1/8th....mid 10's in the quarter so not nearly as quick as yours. Should be a little easier with a rat motor too. Maybe one day I can build a nice 409 for it. I don't even know what a 409 block to use for a core is worth these days.