1961 Biscayne project in Fargo ND

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Awesome work Brian.... I love how you left the North Dakoda plate on... Nice touch.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
My glove compartment is the same way. If you fit them much tighter, they won't open!! Hope someone has an answer.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
My glove compartment is the same way. If you fit them much tighter, they won't open!! Hope someone has an answer.
Are your cars glove compartment doors spring loaded? The reason I ask is because my cars glove door spring was placed on the hinge pin without the spring legs in the loaded position. My door was also difficult to open. I rearmed the spring and everything works great now that the door is spring loaded. I have talked to several other '62 Chevy owners that had hard to open doors that turned out not to be spring loaded properly. I am beginning to think maybe a vendor was assembling the doors wrong.:dunno Let me know If anyone else has run into this issue. BTW, I have a Janesville car. Leo

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Mine doesn't seem to be spring-loaded at all...I've never had it off, but I will check it soon. Thanks!

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Dave, My car was an unmolested one owner when I got it many years ago from my 80 year old neighbor. Not spring loaded from new. I had to pull the steel pin from the hinge halfs to load the spring legs for tension. Leo

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Okay this must be an epidemic... How do I (we) fix this please ?

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
So far, one method is to carry a knife to pop it open, but I will be looking into the spring tomorrow!

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I used to have to pry my door open too. I found that the the "L" shaped ends of the spring were not engaged in the door hinge. I pulled the hinge wire and engaged the spring ends. The door now pops open when I push the keyed button. :danceLeo

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I hang my gps on the door with the suction cup. The extra weight help to open the door. I was playing a bit with the spring. So you have to pre load a bit with the spring?

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I hang my gps on the door with the suction cup. The extra weight help to open the door. I was playing a bit with the spring. So you have to pre load a bit with the spring?
The door hinge should have a wound spring 1 1/4" long installed midway between each end of the hinge. The hinge pin will hold the spring in place. The spring should have a 90 degree bent leg about 3/4" long on each end. One end of the spring leg should be visible laying on top of the hinge halve when the door is open. The other end of the spring leg is captured under the dash by the other hinge half. My door has considerable tension to will hold it in the open position when the hinge spring is installed correctly. My spring was installed incorrectly and would not pop the door open when the latch button was pushed. I hope this explains things a bit better.Leo

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Somebody somewhere mentioned a GM car that came with a stainless ring around the button/key with a tab on it that pointed down. I remember those on some old cars, may have been Pontiac? Never had a problem with the 59, but the 62 is impossible to open without a knife.

Don

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Don, I have seen those rings with the pull open hook on Ebay. Apparently this is a common complaint. Mine was always difficult to open until I repositioned the spring. Pops open smartly when I push the latch button now.:beerLeo

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Can't think of anything to type that wouldn't sound homo. :laugh Oh wait.....can talk about the pistons..... didn't you say you were having them made by Diamond?

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That's a BIG CAM! :clap
That engine is going to make a ton of power and I'll bet it's going to rev to the moon. :deal
That car is going to be FAST! :beer

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It's a shame no one will be able to see that work of art once it's installed and "talking". When you get the carb(s) tuned right it is going to have one of those "rolling" idles. Not sure how to describe the sound I mean, but anyone who's spent time at a track knows what I am talking about. When you hear it....you know the thing is RIGHT.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
That's a BIG CAM! :clap
That engine is going to make a ton of power and I'll bet it's going to rev to the moon. :deal
That car is going to be FAST! :beer
Jim I can only hope and :pray we just never know with these old W what will work or not:rub

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think 9's are going to be a cinch. You are already a slight tailwind away from it with the 62.

1961 Biscayne 409 Stick,Not sure yet Hope in the 9s
1962 Biscayne 409 Stick, 10.04 @ 133MPH

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Jim I can only hope and :pray we just never know with these old W what will work or not:rub

I know what you mean. I've often heard that modifications that work every time on a regular engine can give unpredictable results on these engines.
Still, I don't think you're leaving anything on the table with this build. I think it's going to make a tremendous amount of power. I can't wait to see how it turns out. :beer
I think you're going to need a parachute on that car. :D