1961 Biscayne project in Fargo ND

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Brian, If you decide to replace all the seats ( I would to be safe) Get at least 3/8 seats. When we put ours in they interlock for more support. The seats are so close together, the metal in between the seats gets thin and can burn out, leaving less support. You already have a good machine shop. They'll know what to do.

Bob

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Brian, If you decide to replace all the seats ( I would to be safe) Get at least 3/8 seats. When we put ours in they interlock for more support. The seats are so close together, the metal in between the seats gets thin and can burn out, leaving less support. You already have a good machine shop. They'll know what to do.
Yeah they do! unlike the DMF down in GA

Bob

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I have the engine almost in and now i have a little clearance problem with my kick out oil pan always something:bang
hot rod 091 (Small).jpghot rod 095 (Small).jpg

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian, can't really tell where its hitting. Moroso makes a spacer for their solid mounts . Check their website out and see if that would be a help.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Brian, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like it is probably hitting where the "boss" is at for the oil pan bolt to go through in that area of the kickout. Right up under the "E" and the "F" in the Stef's decal. There are tubes that bolts go through since the kickout covers the pan rail area. It also uses less bolts to hold it on for that side I think. The engine isn't sitting down in the mounts in the pics yet.
I didn't know about a mount spacer from Moroso, Ronnie. Thanks for that tip. Does it throw things off by making the mounts sit wider after spacing them down? I've ran into that before with home made mount spacers. They may take that into account and offset them somehow??? I'd be tempted to leave the Moroso mounts where they are and space the original frame mounts up and slightly wider to meet them.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Brian, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like it is probably hitting where the "boss" is at for the oil pan bolt to go through in that area of the kickout. Right up under the "E" and the "F" in the Stef's decal. There are tubes that bolts go through since the kickout covers the pan rail area. It also uses less bolts to hold it on for that side I think. The engine isn't sitting down in the mounts in the pics yet.
I didn't know about a mount spacer from Moroso, Ronnie. Thanks for that tip. Does it throw things off by making the mounts sit wider after spacing them down? I've ran into that before with home made mount spacers. They may take that into account and offset them somehow??? I'd be tempted to leave the Moroso mounts where they are and space the original frame mounts up and slightly wider to meet them.

Correct Jason,
Am going to try and drill about 2-1/2" or so hole from the bottem side and hope that it will drop through enough to clear:pray I have a pin in the motor mount so it will not sit on the pan

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Wow,that's quite a tight fit........that's not a standard 409 stephs pan is it.....???? I was not aware of fittment issues with their pans......!!!!!!!seems like I dont read so good....this was a wider than normal oil pan!!!!!!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've seen several X-frame cars that had the front crossmember notched and braced for maximum pan clearance. Like that idea, but I just can't bring myself to hack a frame like those were done. A simple hole like you made isn't bad at all.

Last edited:

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Probably another cowl hood I would guess right Brian? I see you installed front ball joint spacers also. Surprised you didn't go with tubular front control arms being this is a race car? :dunno