1959 Biscayne 348 4-Barrel

flyboyike

This is why I love this forum, because you guys are talking about issues that I've been struggling with. While looking at the eBay car, I too noticed some things that seemed less than accurate. When they talked about the car, they used words like "stock-style" or "period-correct", and don't say that it's original or even what components are original. The RK Motorsports website also has photos of 'documentation', which looks to be photocopies from a reference guide that just shows casting numbers. Someone then took a highlighter and marked all the numbers that correspond with the car, or so it appears. But that's really not helpful at all, anybody can highlight numbers in a book and say, "Yep, this is what it is. That'll be $60,000 please." and some pages even have hand-written corrections. Then, they didn't even bother to provide us with photos of the casting numbers themselves... I found that information to be largely useless, and only added to the confusion.

I agree, the "documentation" they provide is largely about was the police package in 1959 was and what Duntov cars were about, but really almost nothing that establishes their car as one of them. I would imagine that police cars would have a back seat for the obvious reason of prisoner transport.

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
I agree, the "documentation" they provide is largely about was the police package in 1959 was and what Duntov cars were about, but really almost nothing that establishes their car as one of them. I would imagine that police cars would have a back seat for the obvious reason of prisoner transport.

One would think a police car would have a back seat, but what about the Interceptors? I find it curious that they would choose a 1221 Biscayne, which shouldn't have a back seat, as a police car when they would have to install a back seat to haul prisoners... Unless the Interceptors were never intended to haul prisoners, but that information is hard to track down. Thanks for offering your speculations, flyboyike, it seems we share similar reservations about that particular car.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
For the reasons you folks mentioned ,a 2 dr.police vehicle would only be used in intercepter duty.Once the 'perp was stopped,back-up would be called.Trying to transport someone in the back of a 2 dr car would,in my opinion,put the officer in unnecessary jepordy.

flyboyike

For the reasons you folks mentioned ,a 2 dr.police vehicle would only be used in intercepter duty.Once the 'perp was stopped,back-up would be called.Trying to transport someone in the back of a 2 dr car would,in my opinion,put the officer in unnecessary jepordy.

Good point, but what if backup is unavailable? Without a back seat, the officer would have to put the prisoner in the front which would place the officer in still more jeopardy.

flyboyike

One would think a police car would have a back seat, but what about the Interceptors? I find it curious that they would choose a 1221 Biscayne, which shouldn't have a back seat, as a police car when they would have to install a back seat to haul prisoners... Unless the Interceptors were never intended to haul prisoners, but that information is hard to track down. Thanks for offering your speculations, flyboyike, it seems we share similar reservations about that particular car.

My reservations just increased some more since RK has refused to provide a VIN.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Good point, but what if backup is unavailable? Without a back seat, the officer would have to put the prisoner in the front which would place the officer in still more jeopardy.

That's when you just shoot 'em!

machinegun.gif

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
In 1959-1960,he could likely justify shooting the "perp",not so easy in todays "pc" world!!:bat

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Just for the sake of curiosity, I'd like to know what you guys would do with the 59 Biscayne if it were yours? When we first brought it home we had plans to turn it into a dirt-track style, or a stock-car style "tribute" car that we could thrash on the street or track. The more we learn about it, the more likely it is we'll do a stock style restoration. But the option remains to restore the car to stock appearance, inside and out, but upgrade the brakes, suspension and drivetrain. I think it would be neat to make the Biscayne perform far better than it ever could in 1959, but retain the classic appearance of the car. If the car is a Police Interceptor would it really hurt the value to do bolt-on upgrades in order to make the car more drivable, but could be returned to stock if it were desired? It's missing so many parts that I never had the option to do a "numbers-matching" resto anyway! I'd much rather restore the car and DRIVE it, not put 8 miles on it then park it in some private collection to collect dust for years.... Just some ideas I'm kicking around, and please let me know what you think!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Since you are asking, I would do a stock looking solid lifter 348 looking 409 4 speed, stock looking car with 15 inch wheels and dogdish. Original interior & colour in and out, maybe a big whip aerial on the back. All the HP you can find while still looking as stock as possible.

Suspension and brake upgrades would be fine.

Don

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm guessing it would be more valuable if it was restored to stock condition but most guys do opt to upgrade a few things.
Disc brakes are nice, maybe an aftermarket sway bar, things like that. An overdrive tranny is also nice but you certainly don't want to bolt a paddle shifter to the steering wheel of a car like that.
It would be cool if you could keep a stock appearance under the hood, and in the interior etc. but I don't see a problem with stroking the 348 or even using a 409.
I think on that car I would avoid things like an MSD box that shows and things like braided stainless steel rad hoses etc. The bling would look wrong on that car.
A stock restored car NEVER goes out of style so I would exercise restraint if it were me.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I'm guessing it would be more valuable if it was restored to stock condition but most guys do opt to upgrade a few things.
Disc brakes are nice, maybe an aftermarket sway bar, things like that. An overdrive tranny is also nice but you certainly don't want to bolt a paddle shifter to the steering wheel of a car like that.
It would be cool if you could keep a stock appearance under the hood, and in the interior etc. but I don't see a problem with stroking the 348 or even using a 409.
I think on that car I would avoid things like an MSD box that shows and things like braided stainless steel rad hoses etc. The bling would look wrong on that car.
A stock restored car NEVER goes out of style so I would exercise restraint if it were me.

X2 :think

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Hey guys, it's been a while since I last checked out the message board. Looks like I haven't missed too much! I'm going back to my folks' place for a few days, so I might try to clean up the ol' Biscayne a little. I haven't been able to track down any new info on the car. But now I have a bit more free time with my new job I'll try to continue searching.

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Hello everyone. Been a while since I was last on the forum. I landed myself a job at a cool little turbo shop in western Washington and I've been spending a lot of time educating myself about turbochargers! Pretty neat gizmos those turbos are.
Anyway I still got my 59 and I've been focusing on other projects lately. But I want to start sourcing parts for the car. Maybe even go as far as buying a donor car for parts. You can see in my photos just how many parts my poor Biscayne needs! So if anyone can help, please let me know.
Thanks!
-Alec