1959 Biscayne 348 4-Barrel

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
I'm from the Yakima Valley, and the car came from the Pasco area. It had been sitting there for about thirty years and the owner of the property knew nothing about it.

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Are you sure about that 808 trim number? I show 808 as a 58 trim code, but not 59. Your 1221 Biscayne Business coupe should have 800 or 801 trim code which, in any case would be medium gray. It also shows as a 3 passenger, 2 door sedan so should not have a back seat

So the car would not have a back seat originally? Because the back seat that came out of it looked like it had been cobbled together at an upholstery shop.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
WELCOME Alec !!
I was going thru some late great chevy numbers from a few years ago and found this info on the trim#. Problem is, we don't know exactly how much good or mis information is out there.
Model 1221 Trim817 Med. yellow green pattern cloth & light yellow green vinyl
Trim833 Med. blue pattern cloth & light blue vinyl................................. :dunno
I found this in an older Late Great chevy judging manual. That was the only two numbers that they had for a 1221 59 model.
Ken

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Thanks Jim! It sure would be sweet because I caught a lot of grief for dragging the car home in the first place. I really only wanted the engine, but those 59's just look so damn cool!

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Thanks Ken, that just furthers the mystery surrounding my car. But that's ok because I really enjoy trying to dig up the history on it, and I hope it turns out to be something really special. But you know what they say about things that seem too good to be true... I'll be going to the shop this coming Tuesday and I will take a lot of photos to post for everybody's viewing pleasure. Keep in mind the car isn't pretty, it was sitting in a field for like 30 years....... On it's side.... But the floor is surprisingly rust free!

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
2219a50d-6021-4764-9a0f-885b5d6bb0b2_zps53f0e930.jpg

So here we have a photo from when we first dragged this mystery car back home, thanks to Mike Dub for snapping the cell phone photo.

100_0335_zps167602f3.jpg

And here's the 348 that will be opened up and examined soon. It was still between the fenders of the car when we found it, though the motor mounts were long gone. Plus the car was on it's side so the engine came to rest upside down, and sat there for 30 years. Note the rusted through road-draft tube.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That sure looks like the color of all Oregon state police cars and trucks I can remember since I was young! :rub

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Really? Thats awesome to hear 409newbie, it makes me that much more hopeful that it's one of those Oregon interceptors! Thanks a lot for posting, that's just the kind of info I need to figure out this cars story.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Alec: are there any indications of emergency equipment that had ever been installed? Lights-bubble gum machine on top? anything on the inner fenders?
Ken.....................

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
It doesn't look like it ever had anything mounted on the roof, but it has been out in the elements for decades. And I don't remember seeing anything on the inner fenders... but it's been a while since I've looked under the hood since I had to wire it shut. It does look like it had a radio or switches mounted under the dash and a large antenna on the driver's quarter panel. When I go to the shop on tuesday I'll be very thorough and photograph everything. Let me know if there's anything else police-specific that I should look for. Thanks Ken!

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Yeah I saw that same car and saved a copy of that same photo for comparison! The numbers do appear to match what I have written down, and this coming week I'll post a pic of the cowl tag on my car. If the tags match would that be definitive proof that it's a police interceptor? Thanks de31168!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Judging from the pictures,it could have been a police vehicle,but one wonders if the state bought more than the 40 intercepters that year.It could have been a "regular" patrol unit.perhaps.:think