1959 Biscayne 348 4-Barrel

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Thanks Don, I'm wondering the same thing. It's tough to track down accurate information on the production numbers of police cars in 1959, and even harder to narrow it down to how many were sold in Oregon. So far I haven't seen any examples of 59 Biscayne police cars that are two-door and that unique dark blue, with the exception of the car that de31168 posted above. I've found other 59 police cars online, but they we all black and white 4-doors. If anyone out there has any clues or knows anyone who is/was in law enforcement in Oregon, give me a shout! Lets figure out just where this car came from!

de31168

Well Known Member
The other thing I find interesting is, when you look at the articles of the original car from the ebay ad, and when you look at the GM hardcover model book that came out, the Biscayne emblem is on the front fender like most other models. It appears they changed their mind on the production cars and moved it to the quarter panel to fill in the bare spot. I also agree it could be just a regular patrol car without the fancy engine, but any 348 Biscayne is an awesome car! I kind of doubt that they'd order more than 40 cars to cover the state highways though, especially way back in 1959.

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Thanks de31168, that is interesting. My car does share a lot of similarities with the car on the ebay ad, and obviously whoever restored that car dug up the history on those interceptors somehow. I e-mailed rk motorsports, where the car is currently waiting to be sold, so i could ask them about the cars history. But I haven't heard anything back from them yet, and I doubt they'd take the time to tell me the story unless I made an offer on the car...

de31168

Well Known Member
I believe that car was on sale on ebay years ago - like 7 or 8 at this point, someone bought and restored it, it went thru mecum auto auction at a price tag over 100k and was not sold, it has been at several "brokers" since then. I don't know who the true owner is. RK Motorsports might just be selling it for someone else. It has been listed on ebay a few times. The price has steadily dropped from the over 100k to its current 59,900. I think they thought the rarity of the car and what it was would demand big $$. I think if it ever hits the 40's I'm going to seriously consider buying it. It would be well bought because I'd spend way more than that to get mine into similar condition. I've kind of been following it for a while since I really like that car a lot.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Based on that engines intake/carb it's not an interceptor, but a patrol car very possibly.
BUT, carbs and engines are easily replaced thru the years so who knows

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Wow it's been on the market for that long? It's cool that you've been keeping up on that particular car, de31168. Have you ever had a chance to see the car in person? Something my old man taught me when I was young is that, even if a car is old and rare, that doesn't make it especially valuable. Just try telling THAT to the owners of all those obscure old cars who have dreams of six-figure price tags! Considering the condition of my Biscayne, it might cost more to restore than it could potentially be worth... But it's not the value of the car that I'm most interested in, it's the history and the story that goes along with it. Just having an opportunity to own a piece of Chevrolet history, valuable or not, is what makes me really excited! Thanks for keeping up with my story and please continue to post any info you have on the Police Interceptor package and Oregon police vehicles.

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Thanks 1958 Delivery, and believe my I'm just as skeptical as the next guy. I should be able to open up the engine tomorrow and take a look at the pistons, plus I'll document all the numbers on the engine (block, heads, intake, carb, distributor) and car, and post them for you guys to smoke over. If there are any specific numbers I should be looking for please let me know!

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
It would be nice if someone could decipher the cowl tag accurately to know for sure what purpose this car was built for. The Ebay car has the number "30" stamped on the tag and Alec's car has the number "13" at the same location. Could this possibly be the sequence number of the 40 car Duntov motor run? It will be interesting to see if Alec's motor date codes match the body time frame or if the original motor was changed out. Leo

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Okay guys, here's the latest update. I went home and tore apart that 348 that I got with the 59. Turns out it's just a run-of-the-mill 250HP 348, not a Duntov motor. Sad for sure, but not a total disaster. I'm fairly certain that even though the motor isn't correct, the Biscayne is one of the Oregon State Interceptors. There are just too many similarities between my car and the only other existing example of the 59 Biscayne interceptor, which can be seen on R.K. Motorsports' website. I'm still searching for more clues to the cars past, and if anyone has any information or questions, feel free to speak up! Here's some photos of the similarities between my car and the restored example:

100_3648_zpsc10c4035.jpg

The cowl tag is the biggest clue as far as I'm concerned. Both cars are 1221 Business Coupes, both were manufactured in Oakland, Ca., and both share the same trim, paint and accessory codes.

100_3682_zpsb1549ef6.jpg

Here you can see the original dark blue paint, and the hole in the quarter panel where it once had a large antenna. At one point someone was working on the car, which is why some areas are sanded down. Also, the passenger side fender and door were replaced, which was easy to spot since they're different colors than the rest of the car. I'm wondering if the car was involved in a collision, had the drivetrain pulled out, and the rest was sold at auction. Without a hopped-up 348 I couldn't imagine a bare-bones Biscayne would have cost much back in the day. My guess is someone hit the junkyard, found the body panels and a donor motor, and kept on driving. Eventually the car was pushed onto its side and stripped of its rear-end, transmission, suspension, fuel tank, and just about everything else. And that's how is sat for a long time... The newest penny I found on the floorboards was from 1964, which makes me think the car has been off the road since the mid-sixties.
100_3660_zps4072ecaf.jpg

Here's another view of the dark blue paint. It's pretty surprising that it can still be shined up... sort of. The clues continue on the inside, where the original light blue paint can be seen beneath a layer of rattle-can black, as someone had painted over the dash at one time. It has the same two-spoke wheel as the other interceptor and has holes beneath the dash where a radio might have been mounted. It was equipped with rubber floor covering from the factory, instead of carpet.
100_3658_zps1129458a.jpg

Another interesting point is the fact that the factory "chalk marks" remain intact on the firewall. I know that 1221 denotes the body style, but if anyone knows what the other marks mean then please speak up!
100_3666_zps1e6b7c95.jpg

This marking is on the lower passenger side firewall behind the inner fender.
100_3665_zpsaeacc156.jpg

This marking is right in the middle of the firewall, above the trans tunnel opening. It's faded and hard to make out, but maybe someone has some insight?

100_3668_zps507a26e8.jpg

This last marking is located on the drivers side firewall and is even harder to decipher. Anybody have any ideas?

It's obvious that the car is very rough and would need a TON of work to be road worthy again. But considering the cars possible history, I have no plans to scrap it or part it out. I intend to keep searching in order to figure out this cars complete story, and I thank all of you who have offered me advice and support along the way. Please let me know if there are any specific areas of the car you'd like to see, as I have a lot of photos. I'll leave you with one final photo of the car when we found it. Ask yourselves if you would have brought it home, or just let it rust in peace?
4dd1704a-9fde-4474-9fb9-6868bf243567_zpsbaefda46.jpg

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Good pics Alec.
I love mystery challenges like this. The first firewall chalk marks are obviously the body style number 1221 as you noted and in the second pic the bottom number is the accessory code of 12B (not 128) and the numbers above it look like 262?, possibly the job nuber on the assembly line.
On the drivers side, I can imagine IntrEP. Maybe the guy couldn't spell interceptor or just roughly abbreviated it.
Interesting that your tag has a later body number 403 but an earlier series number (if that is what it is) 13 vs the other cars earlier body number 373 and later series number 30.:scratch Possibly, if that is the original engine, it was number 13 of standard engined (250hp) cars and the other is number 30 of the 305hp cars. BTW, if you decide to restore the car, the F code block is ideal if you want to make it an FD code 305 hp.
Is there any evidence of the Biscayne emblem having been on the front fenders instead of the rear quarters?
Any evidence of a department serial number tag having been mounted on the dash dogleg where the other cars tag was?
Any evidence of heavy duty suspension, dual exhaust, 3/8ths fuel line, metallic brakes?
If the voltage regulator is still on the core support, is there a screw in the bottom hole or a rubber tit?
12 guage red hotwire from battery to VR instead of 12 guage black on L-6 and 283.
4 guage black starter cable vs 6 guage on L-6 and 283.
Back windows fixed or roll down?
What's under the back seat? Any evidence of a platform?
This is fun.:dance

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Thanks Cecil, you made some interesting observations about the cowl tag. I sure wish I could find someone who built these cars back in 59 and could fill in the blanks for us. But where's the fun in that, right? The Biscayne emblem was located on the quarter, there were heavy duty shocks on the car, and the rear windows are fixed. There may have been a tag on the dash, but i think it was likely removed when the dash was painted. As for the wiring, I'll look through my photos but there aren't many remaining electrical components in the engine bay. Thanks for the comments and I'll try to find answers for you. De31168 you're welcome to come see the car any time! And I found a gumdrop bag, but no donut crumbs...

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Alec: I had three uncles that worked and retired from the GM plant on Natural Bridge & Union aves in St. Louis. Sadly they are all gone, but I have one old friend of mine that worked at that plant back in those days and I'm going to ask him if he knows what that mark is above the trans tunnel. He is still pretty sharp and has given me some good insight on different subjects in the past. I realize that from plant to plant procedures were never exactly the same and certain jobs were done differently, but some things were universally done. VERY,VERY interesting !!!!Keep the info coming.
Ken......................

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Ken, you're my hero! I wish I could have sat and talked with your uncles about all the awesome cars they must have seen and built. I'm very excited to hear what your friend has to say about those chalk marks, and I'd really be interested to hear any other car stories he'd like to share. Thank you for your interest and I look forward to hopefully learning something new about my 59! I'll be sure to post more info as I find it.... Actually, when I was going through the car I found a folded up envelope in the ash tray addressed to a Miss Kay Grant of Maple Lane School in Centralia, WA, Route 1, Box 206. I haven't looked into whether or not Miss Kay Grant is still around, but I'll see what I can do. Oh, and the envelope was empty...

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The more I study it, the more I'm thinking it is "IntrCP".....what I initally thought was an E looks more like a C with an underline.:think

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
I think you might be onto to something there, Cecil. I wish I could have gotten a better photo with better light and less rust. Hopefully Ken will be able to tell us something about it soon!

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Alec: I'll try and see Jim this weekend and ask if he knows anything about this. Maybe I'll print it out and give him a little more idea what we're talking about. This guy worked at GM on the line for years and also on the corvette line as well as final assembly, repair and driveaway. A lot of these guys were walking encyclopedias and didn't know it !!! :)
As an example, back in the late 80s I was restoring a 57 hardtop and called a glass co to come out and install the windshield. The glass guy drove up to my shop and took one look at the car and said........... I'm not touching this one I may scratch it. So I called my old friend Jim and he came by the next day and we had it installed in about 15 minutes with a rope. Nothing to it !!!! He taught me how to do those and I,ve never hired anyone to install glass again and I've done a bunch of them. I have only broke one in the last 25 years :D. That was in a 57 pickup and they can deal you a fit !!!

Ken......................