Converting a 348 into a 409

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Yep, I'll tell him the good news. :D
I'm not sure yet what my budget is, but I do know one thing, I like horsepower and lots of it at that! :D :burnout
But if I can get the same amount of horses out of the '59 348 block, I think I will stick with that one. Trying to cut costs, you know, since I don't have all that big of a budget...

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
My opinion and just take it as that is that the hunt for a 655 block should begin. Never know what might turn up.
Keep the original 348 going and thus the car on the road.
When another 348 shows up start the build.
Steve

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yep, I'll tell him the good news. :D
I'm not sure yet what my budget is, but I do know one thing, I like horsepower and lots of it at that! :D :burnout
But if I can get the same amount of horses out of the '59 348 block, I think I will stick with that one. Trying to cut costs, you know, since I don't have all that big of a budget...
Jackie, do you know of any engine builders in your area that have experience with 348's and 409's??

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
You mention "budget" so you might want to do a little planning before embarking on the project to build a stroked 348 or a high performance 409. You will be surprised, and not in a good way :).

It is pretty common to get into the $10K range when building one of these engines. A lot goes to your machinist, especially if you're stroking with a BBC crank that needs preparation. Like Rick said, you might want to locate a suitable machine shop that is VERY familiar with the nuances of the Mighty "W" engine...

There are several posts on this Forum that detail what some options might be (see Jim's posts on "truck engines") and additional posts that offer a list of expenditures that you might want to search and read through :).

Good luck!
TomK

Last edited:

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Regarding gobs of power, my 431 (348 block, 4inch crank, .020 over) should easily be build to hit 500 hp without problems and be drivable and quite reliable. My cam is supposed to be setup for about 450 hp. Also, I think I have the same block as you. Originally a 348 setup for 250 hp. I think this level of build can probably be done in the 10 - 12k range, maybe less with an existing block.

Jim_ss409 here had a no holes barred 348 (from Joe Shermann) with a similar block to ours and made 650 hp. And the build made it into Hot Rod magazine:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0911-chevy-w-series-engine-build/

If this isn't enough power, then no block or engine will ever be enough.

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Jackie, do you know of any engine builders in your area that have experience with 348's and 409's??

No, I actually don't. I haven't really looked that hard though. Probably there is some because there is a few restoration shops and engine shops around. I was more looking at doing the engine build by me and my dad.

NASTY 409

Banned
I don't think you or your father have ANY idea how much your dreams are going to cost. Tune up the 348 you already have and fix all the other problems the car may have and be happy .

'59Imp

Well Known Member
You mention "budget" so you might want to do a little planning before embarking on the project to build a stroked 348 or a high performance 409. You will be surprised, and not in a good way :).

It is pretty common to get into the $10K range when building one of these engines. A lot goes to your machinist, especially if you're stroking with a BBC crank that needs preparation. Like Rick said, you might want to locate a suitable machine shop that is VERY familiar with the nuances of the Mighty "W" engine...

There are several posts on this Forum that detail what some options might be (see Jim's posts on "truck engines") and additional posts that offer a list of expenditures that you might want to search and read through :).

Good luck!
TomK

Yes, I am well aware that this is, and will be, a spendy project. I am saving up my money for this project...
I was planning on doing this project myself. It saves a lot of money there where I don't have to pay someone to do it. And my dad does have experience in building engines. He built a 396 bored out to a 408 that he put in his '67 Chevelle SS, and it runs wonderful.

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Regarding gobs of power, my 431 (348 block, 4inch crank, .020 over) should easily be build to hit 500 hp without problems and be drivable and quite reliable. My cam is supposed to be setup for about 450 hp. Also, I think I have the same block as you. Originally a 348 setup for 250 hp. I think this level of build can probably be done in the 10 - 12k range, maybe less with an existing block.

Jim_ss409 here had a no holes barred 348 (from Joe Shermann) with a similar block to ours and made 650 hp. And the build made it into Hot Rod magazine:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0911-chevy-w-series-engine-build/

If this isn't enough power, then no block or engine will ever be enough.

Yes, that is plenty enough. 500 horses is plenty, let alone 650! Thank you for that info. :D