Converting a 348 into a 409

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Yeah, I'm not no "purist" though. So in other words, I wouldn't mind the look of an alternator at all on the 348. And all cars around here have alternators on them, the '59 is the only one with a generator. And I think I may need to replace it anyhow due to the issues with it as pointed out above; so I am trying to find out what's the better option, alternator or generator?
Since you have a generator Rick, do you have a voltage regulator hooked up? It may be a dumb question, but all cars around here have alternators and I thought voltage regulators were only used for externally regulated alternators. Long story short, my car has a voltage regulator hooked up with a generator.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yeah, I'm not no "purist" though. So in other words, I wouldn't mind the look of an alternator at all on the 348. And all cars around here have alternators on them, the '59 is the only one with a generator. And I think I may need to replace it anyhow due to the issues with it as pointed out above; so I am trying to find out what's the better option, alternator or generator?
Since you have a generator Rick, do you have a voltage regulator hooked up? It may be a dumb question, but all cars around here have alternators and I thought voltage regulators were only used for externally regulated alternators. Long story short, my car has a voltage regulator hooked up with a generator.
Yes... Mine has a voltage regulator..

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Does you car have power steering? If so your pump is on the back of the generator. You would have to change to the later 61 up pump if you go to alternator. If you are going to upgrade to the aluminum valve covers I would go with alternator. The generators and early alternators all had voltage regulators, you can see mine in the pics. Min is a squirl cage alternator 62 amp.

Nope, no power steering or power brakes.

Thanks for answering my question Dan about the voltage regulator.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks anyhow Rick. I just got that question answered by Dan. I was going to edit that reply as soon as I was done typing a reply for Dan, but you beat me to it.
That is why this is such a great site you don't have to wait a week to get a answer...:cool:

'59Imp

Well Known Member
So I found out my dad is still set on making this car a 409... Not a 348...
He says even with hopping up the 348 a great deal, you still won't have (or get) nearly the same horsepower as the 409 does. Is this true?

Also my dad (and me) are wondering why it wouldn't be possible to bore out the 348 to 409??? They are the same block, aren't they?
It is possible, I know, to bore out a 396 block to a 427 block. So why wouldn't it be possible to bore out the 348 block to 409 block?
It is what I want to do...

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Some will but most the walls will get to thin. The walls if thick enough will still get very thin at the bottom and will crack or chunk off. Then the block is junk unless there is enough to put a sleeve in which I doubt.:dunno2

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Ah jeez, don't know what to do now... :(
I was really hoping that I could bore this one out to a 409... But I'm outta luck, huh?

Alternative #2:
So anyone know where I can get a 409 block?

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jackie, Your Block casting is 3755011 and can not be bored to 409. It would not even make sence to try. There is nothing wrong with building the engine you have. As I pointed out earlier the only way your going to make more cubic inches with your engine is to stroke it and that is a very much better then trying to bore. You can easily achive 500hp with your original block.

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Yeah, my dad thinks something is wrong with sticking to the 348 though.
Me? I'm fine with the 348.
My dad on the other hand though really wants a 409 because he believes that you will NEVER see the amount of horsepower out of a 348 as you will with a 409. Is that true?

And I am pretty much forced to go with what my dad says because he owns more of the car than I do...
If she was 100% my car I would be the one to decide...

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Me, I'm fine with the 348... Hopefully I can convince my dad to leave the car a 348. I am more thinking about going down the stroker route now along with other 348 hop-up goodies. :D :burnout
So Dan, you said I could get 500hp out of the 348 if I stroke it. That sounds like plenty of horses for me!
So I don't have 1 single stroker motor around here; in other words I am not sure how to do it...
Is it easy? What all do I need to do? And also what all do I need to buy?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
One can extract TONS of torque and horsepower from the later 348 blocks, generally the "655" castings, which were poured at the end of the "W" era. Comments are that the webbing is stronger, the mains are ArmaSteel (better) and the cores are more similar to those of the 409s poured in those last years (1965). You might look for a 348 casting from 1965, which ends in "655". Those seem to be the best candidates. Then choices associated with cranks, rods, pistons, camshafts, heads and intakes can be made to develop massive (more than 500) horses and torque out of that 348 block base.

It seems that 348 blocks from that latter era are more plentiful and less expensive than a true 409 block. I've seen the "655" castings for as little as $300 while most 409 blocks go for $1500 on up depending on condition. From there it costs just as much to outfit a 348 as it does a 409, but the latter has more "value" to the public :). It's a "supply and demand" thing with the 409 block.

Good luck!

TomK

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Thanks for saying that Tom, that I can get TONS of torque/horsepower from the 348's. Makes me feel a lot better about the future for this 348. :D
So what about a 348 from '59? Can I get the same or almost the same results (horsepower/torque wise) as the later 348 blocks?

And thanks for the good luck wishes. :D

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So what about a 348 from '59? Can I get the same or almost the same results (horsepower/torque wise) as the later 348 blocks?

And thanks for the good luck wishes. :D

Yes, the only difference is the later blocks have a stronger webbing and armor steel main caps.

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Oh, ok, great news! Very happy to hear that I can get so much horsepower and torque out of a 348. It really makes me feel a LOT better for the future of this car and the 348 that's in her. :D
It's not at all what I was expecting! I was expecting to hear like what I heard from my dad that I won't be able to get very much horsepower at all from a 348.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Tell your Dad the good news :). He'll come around once he sees the many options to build massive torque and HP from a 348.

It just depends on your budget and what you want to accomplish. If I remember correctly the Joe Sherman 348 build from a few years back had 600+ horses built from a 1958 block.

I'd still start with a "655" casting, those seem to be plentiful. I've picked them up for anywhere between $100 and $300, but that was 3-4-5 years ago. I don't have any laying around at the moment, but I do see them from time to time. I think the "962" service replacement blocks also have the ArmaSteel main caps and could take the bigger bores.

Best, TomK