Ross Pistons - Who carries?

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Are there any benefits to having Ross pistons in new STOCK .30 over rebuild of our 409, with stock heads

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Just on Show Cars and it shows a set .30 over (20 lbs) for 649.00 I did see that these are about 150 cheaper, there must be a reason.? I tried calling Ross this afternoon, but there phone was busy, also emailed them. Just learning guys, thanks for the help.
:doh

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I ordered mine from show cars on Nov. 15th, they came the day after Christmas. For $749.00, I don't think you can get custom forged pistons cheaper anywhere?

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The $650 and $750 ones from show cars are "off the shelf" Ross forgings.
I have bought several parts from Show Cars, but for the pistons I would order them through someone who can help you get them spec'd right for your needs.
Bore, stroke, rod length, 5/64" or 1/16" width rings, compression distance (deck height), compression ratio, dome volume and height, cam timing and valve relief depths, passenger or truck block, etc., etc. There are a lot of things that need to be correct to suit YOUR engine so I would not pay about the same price for an off the shelf piston as custom ones.
You can get custom ones to your specs for about $750, but then if you have them lightened you will end up at $900 or more. EVERYONE who has built a 348 / 409 highly recommends the lightening.

I paid another $115 or so for coated skirts. I wasn't planning on them, but at the time I was ordering I thought "at this point, what is another $100 or so?" Waited my whole life for this build....and knew I'd end up regretting it if I skipped the coating.

Jack Gibbs, Aubrey, Jim Richmond Engines, Day Automotive, can help you get the correct parts. I bet I am leaving a lot of people out.....my apologies.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I would think you should be able to buy them from your engine builder at good price

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I bought a set of the K-B Icon pistons for my 380 w,showed one to Ronnie and they met with his approval.Good enough for me.I got them from Show-Cars for 549.00,theyre already lightened.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
KB is the cheapest by FAR! Diamond is NOT cheap. My fully lightened custom built Diamond pistons were ordered by Tony at Day Automotive and cost $1000

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
$1000.00 was what diamond quoted me over the phone for mine... I called KB and they only offered 348 pistons with the stock pin location. Since I wanted to use the longer rods, the Ross custom pistons from show cars seemed like my best option at the time...

dean409

Well Known Member
I paid $699 for my Ross stock crank 6.135 rat h-beam rod 11:1 from Show Cars. They were so pretty I wanted to hang one from my rear view mirror.
Keith Black has under cut that pricing since and they are forged. Next Dubya motor gets KBs.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Same here. I'm acquiring some parts for a 348 build and will be trying the KB pistons also. A buddy of mine used them in his mild stroker 409 and they were nice pieces!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The K-B is a nice little piston as far as it goes.They are limited on sizes and compression ratios,and are not availeable in a "custom" form like the Ross,Diamond and others. As to the 409 ,they are only availeable in oversizes like .028,038,068 ect.,which as Buildit posted,makes for a better ring selection. As far as I am aware,the 348 is only availeable for the 4in stroker engine[it can also work when using the 409 stroke,and a 6.385 rod.].

dean409

Well Known Member
Remember...a 348 with a reground Rat 3.76" crank and .040 overbore equals 409 cubes! Ya gotta dig it.