409, .068" over.
4.25" stroke / 6.385" rod
14.5:1 not to sure on this 14.1 thou:rub
2.20" deep valve pocket
"button" pin retainers
Dykes rings
Gas ported
FULLY lightened... 590 grams

A couple years ago, a guy ordered these from me. I emailed the specs to Pat at Ross Pistons.
I'll never forget the very first thing Pat said to me when he picked up the phone the next day.

"I HATE yoooooo"

damn, did I laugh:laugh

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
We're about to rebuild our QB 62 409 and taking it to a machine shop. It had been checked for cracks, both block and heads and came up clean. I think the motor had been bored .30 over and I was told that it does not need bored, but just honed, and new
pistons, crank polished, and we could use our old rods. Im a little nervous, without changing machine shops, are there things to look out for.? We've used this machine shop before and he's a great guy and treats us very good, but ?

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
As Im not a motor person, I was told they were standard bore pistons, Im thinking they did the over bore and never finished doing the rest of the engine, thats why we would need to buy new .30 over pistons.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well,since youre going to have to buy new pistons anyway,go ahead and buy new rods.The most common long rods are the standard length 6.135 big block chevy rod.A better option,in my opinion,would be the 6.385 lenth big block relacement [the same price],which would allow for an even lighter piston.Ross,Diamond,K-B ICON,and some others make pistons for your application,so you bdo have parts from which to choose.PLEASE do not even consider any cast piston for this engine,it simply isnt worth the gamble.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Is it better to buy a Kit, like from Ross? Forged of course. We've never done a 409 before, is the cost of going the Stroker Motor
worth the price for the added performance, or just go stock?.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'll second what Don said. Scat Pro Comp 7/16" bolt, 6.385" long rods are excellent and only cost $300. They are far stronger than the stock rods. Just be sure to specify that length when you order pistons. Just resizing your stock rods and adding good (ARP) bolts would probably cost at least half that. It won't add anything to the piston cost.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It really depends on what you want to accomplish in my opinion. A stroker is fun and probably another $1000 to $1250 or so above just buying new pistons and rods for your stock crank, but if you just want a strong fun driver then I would stick with the 409 crank. I am building a stroker, but it will be primarily driven at the drag strip. A good high Torque stroker is plenty fun on the street I'm sure, but a .030" over 409 should still make more than street tires can make good use of.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks, thats the info I was needing, you always go through these thoughts, best to get them figured out before you start your project. at 71 were still young, but not as dumb. thanks for the help, this is a great site, especially for newbie's. Keep it under 60.... 1st gear of course.
:think

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
:bowIf I go with a stroker, are there other concerns with the extra power. We do have a posi 3:55, and did put the extra upper
control arm on the rear end housing. We did NOT change axels, are they the weakest link? /we are going with 4 speed. Thanks for all the help and idea's, its great having such experts
when doing something the first time out. Go.... W
:cheers:bow

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
After breaking a couple left axles with my 340 hp, I put in a pair of Dutchman's. No more axle problems

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Lets hear the story, did you break anything else when doing it, hurt the pumpkin parts?. I guess those are about 200 each.
What did you do, to break them, and what happened when you did? just curious, I have never broke much before, well there
:idea
was my 56 chev, 265 , 3 spd, I sucked a value, back in 63, but I don't think that counts, does it.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The track had was well prepped. NO tires slip. Heavy VHT. Just about pulled my tennis shoes off pushing it back to staging. I let out the clutch, left axle broke. Same thing a month later. I was running out of left axles, so I bought Dutchman's. Nothing else has ever broken. 50 years of abuse. Guess I need more HP.:brow

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Great Story, thanks. I was with my Mom when she bought her new 64 Impala SS, in march of 64, it had a small 283, maroon with
white bucket seats, auto with shifter on the floor. She bought it in seattle Wa. and at the time they were living in Anchorage Alaska, so we took off and drove it up there. That was when they had the huge earth quake, 1964, we pulled into Anchorage 2 days after the quake. It really was a great chevy, she kept it for over 20 years, and then wanted me to buy it, but I had no extra money and was working on restoring a 56 sedan. She wanted mass bucks.... $ 1200.00 Guess I should have bought it.

You REQUIRE bearing cap re-enforcements, CASH. They are the next weak link.
With 3.55 gears, you don't get real harsh torque multiplication into the axles. Let the tires spin a bit, n you won't break stuff.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Great Story, thanks. I was with my Mom when she bought her new 64 Impala SS, in march of 64, it had a small 283, maroon with
white bucket seats, auto with shifter on the floor. She bought it in seattle Wa. and at the time they were living in Anchorage Alaska, so we took off and drove it up there. That was when they had the huge earth quake, 1964, we pulled into Anchorage 2 days after the quake. It really was a great chevy, she kept it for over 20 years, and then wanted me to buy it, but I had no extra money and was working on restoring a 56 sedan. She wanted mass bucks.... $ 1200.00 Guess I should have bought it.
When and how long did you live in Anchorage???? My daughter and family live north of there.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
We moved from Seattle to Anchorage in June 1959, just in time to see it into State Hood. We lived in an apartment on top of
Spenard Rd, about 1 block from West Anchorage High School, where I graduated from in 1960. We then moved out to Lake Spendard, it was south of the airport a ways. We use to race out on the Seward highway, by the sound, quite a straightaway, there use to be lots of cars racing the 1/4 mile, it was a gas. I stayed in Anchorage until 1963, moved to Fairbanks in 1967 for a short time but got caught in the Flood of 67, and that was enough of Alaska for me, have been in Seattle the rest of the time. At that time it was quite a place to live, got to love cars up there, had my first ride in a 62 409, loved the Bubble Top & almost bought one new.