Overheating question

DOMINIC

FIXED FIXED FIXED AND FIXED! I am sorry but it took me so long to get back on this engine. Due to the midwest freeze, my shop has been very busy. This is where I left off. I said I would perform a compression and leak down test as well as valve lash. Valves were perfect and leakdown was perfect at 2/4%. Cranking compression test,,not so good. It dropped to 130/135psi. I asked myself why was my compression evenly dropping across the board? Mechanical timing. I removed the timing cover and there was the timing chain,just dangl'n there. More than 12degrees in all. I called Lamaar W. to ask him why this chain would have stretched so quickly. He told me to remove the chain and inspect the block behind the cam gear for any signs of wear. I did. The cam gear was rubbing on the block. He said he use to sell this chain years ago but they were such a piece of crap, that he never sold them again. He sent me a chain set that he sells that works well with his stock cam grinds. The crank gear has 7 positions. I ended up installing the crank at 4 degrees adv. which gave me a cranking compression of 185 psi. I took your advise out there and cleaned out the block at the waterpump passages and put it all back together with the original pump. Started it up,set base timing at 18 degrees and whoola,,,,,it ran at 175 degrees for about 30 minutes.
Conclusion, when I disassembled the original rebuilt engine, the timing chain was falling off. When I Re-rebuilt the engine,, I ended up receiving and installing the same identical new timng chain set. What caused both chains to stretch was most likely poor quality metals and a cam gear that was not manufactured properly. The cam gear was rubbing against the block causing excessive heat, which in-turn caused the chain to stretch. This my friends was indeed where the problem first began! As my opening message states,,"It's never just one problem" Please feel free to ask away with any questions. I tried really hard to keep this post short. And P.S.,,,Ronnie Russell,,you were right! sincerely,,Dominic

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Now that's what I call solving a problem using our "collective knowledge"!

Thanks to Dom for sharing this episode, and to all who have contributed and given him something to consider.

In the end, we all learn something and we all win!

Double cheers!
TomK

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
I have had overheating issues. I have had new push rods new valve springs and modifications to fan shroud. Seems to be working well now. Put a piece of tissue on front grill and now sucking air through radiator to hold tissue to grill.

jramsey

Please forgive me if I am too late to reply here, I am new to this. I have two 1958 348 engines and one 409 engine. The 409 is in my 1960 Biscayne. I was fortunate enough to find one at a good price and I installed it myself. I had some problems with my engine and I was able to reach Lamar Walden by phone. He was very helpful. In my opinion, he is the foremost expert on these engines period. His number is 770-409-1962. I also have his cell number but he may not appreciate me giving that out. I am sure he can help you nail this down if you have not already done so. I do know the early models engines did have overheating problems because of a problem with the water jackets. According to Lamar, these issues were discovered with the 348's and eliminated by the time the 409's came out. Good luck , I hope you are able to fix that problem. 409's are awesome power plants.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Please forgive me if I am too late to reply here, I am new to this. I have two 1958 348 engines and one 409 engine. The 409 is in my 1960 Biscayne. I was fortunate enough to find one at a good price and I installed it myself. I had some problems with my engine and I was able to reach Lamar Walden by phone. He was very helpful. In my opinion, he is the foremost expert on these engines period. His number is 770-409-1962. I also have his cell number but he may not appreciate me giving that out. I am sure he can help you nail this down if you have not already done so. I do know the early models engines did have overheating problems because of a problem with the water jackets. According to Lamar, these issues were discovered with the 348's and eliminated by the time the 409's came out. Good luck , I hope you are able to fix that problem. 409's are awesome power plants.

jramsey

See post #81.

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
Please watch what is posted! I personally like almost all posts. They help us rookies put these old cars together. I am now not so anxious about my 409 running at 200 210 temp. I have got my power steering in the right direction. Many other solutions found by helpful people on this site. Keep ego in check, reap the rewards of humility and thanks to all that help for the best of reasons: being of service.

DOMINIC

Not sure what these last several posts are all about and I hope it's not geared towards me. I'm happy I don't have an ego and I don't like Obama either! This place is a perfect fit for me!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
:rubRay,a grouch???????NO ,it's just a lack of enthusium due to this terrible winter we've been going through.:deal
Don, you got that right. I haven't seen grass or dirt around here for months. As much as I love winter weather and a good snow storm I'm all done. I need some spring weather and quick. I was a little perturbed with jramsey's post, I think there are a few guys here that can go toe to toe with Lamar. I'm not disrespecting Lamar, when he talks I listen! Having said that , there are certain people here that when they post, I read their posts always. I used to be the "go to guy"years ago on this site for a number of things, now I do more listening than talking. That is an indication of how much this site has grown. The collective knowledge on this site would allow almost anyone to build a world class engine and chassis!

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I understand what you're saying Ray. I believe you have to look at the situation like this. There are a bunch of people who like these old "W" blocks. Every summer I meet one or two guys who love the engines but have never heard of 348-409.com! :eek In fact, Paintjohn is one of the most vocal advocates of the website! Now, if your outside (don't know about the site) and are interested in 348s or 409s you're most likely to only know about Lamar. Remember the shows Horsepower TV did about the 409. They used Lamars knowledge and resources. When World first announced the "new" 409 block they were going to make available they went to Lamar to do the builds with them. He has been around for a long time and knows a lot about and has done a lot with W blocks. As you say "I'm not disrespecting Lamar, when he talks I listen!". I think we all follow that school of thought! So, if you're outside the best resource you know of is Lamar.
Now, A guy out in the cold (who doesn't know about 348-409.com) finds out about the site. He wants to come in out of the cold so he joins or lurks for a while. jramsey's short coming was not lurking or listening long enough to realize that although Lamar is a great resource and is knowledge base is DEEP there are DEEP resources here as well. I'm sure he didn't mean any disrespect of anyone here.
Chalk it up to a new guy who was excited to find a cool place to hang out and wanted to be a contributor.

Dominic, Those posts were definitely not directed at you! I think this thread is one of the more valuable ones for those of us who are learning as we go along. I'm really glad you started it!!

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:yupI also have respect for what Lamar has done,and as has been said,when he speaks,I listen,but the most important difference is that Lamar is also trying to SELL someone something,whereas the people here are trying to HELP someone else.Just the way I see it.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Well said Dick !!
Well said Don !!
I thought I knew a little about the Ws when I joined here a few years ago, but come to find out I knew just enough to keep my mouth shut and listen.
I,ve learned a lot from this site and like was stated earlier, there are people here that are very, very knowledgeable.
Ken

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Me too Ken! I take a WHOLE LOT more then I give and I'm really happy to be part of this group! :deal

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That's an understatement as far as I'm concerned.I cant even begin to name all the folks who have helped me here.Being a member of this site,for me,is truly a blessing.Thanks to everyone,even Phil!

DOMINIC

As Rodney King once said,,"Can't we all just getta long". Talk with you guys after I install the motor in the 62, piece out, Dominic