Overheating question

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Another thing. Mine needs some sort of restriction in the thermostat housing or the pump starts to cavatate. I use a hollowed out thermostat in the summer.

DOMINIC

Gonna look behind that pump today. There is 2 pics of the block in an earlier thread. Does anyone see anything funky there? Radiator is a 4-row ,high efficient fiins.I looked inside that waterpump the best I can. Tough to see but looks ok. Dom

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Too small Ricky. Get an appropriate size for your new engine. I consider a 4-core radiator an absolute necessity for any 409. You can't get a wide enough core with the 6-cylinder side brackets.

Also, if I remember right, the top hose tube is in the wrong location. My car overheated until I went to the 4 core as Phil suggested.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yep.... Yep... I see, I was hoping to back to an original radiator. I have a big aluminium one in there now. Dan, how is the clearance at the steering gear? I also didn't like the way the shroud fit around it. That's why I have that hacked up small block shroud in there... I didn't want to hack up an original 348 one...:cuss

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep.... Yep... I see, I was hoping to back to an original radiator. I have a big aluminium one in there now. Dan, how is the clearance at the steering gear? I also didn't like the way the shroud fit around it. That's why I have that hacked up small block shroud in there... I didn't want to hack up an original 348 one...:cuss
I have maybe just shy of a 1/8" clearance and I had to do some adjusting to get that much but it worked. I didn't have to hack up my original 348 fan shroud it bolted right up. What I don't like is the big square lugs they put on the the back side of the mounting flange.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
What I don't like is the big square lugs they put on the the back side of the mounting flange.
Dan... they have to do that to space the shroud out from the radiator side brackets for the wider radiator. All 409 radiators had that spacer.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have maybe just shy of a 1/8" clearance and I had to do some adjusting to get that much but it worked. I didn't have to hack up my original 348 fan shroud it bolted right up. What I don't like is the big square lugs they put on the the back side of the mounting flange.
Yea... I had to do some grinding on my steering gear... I wasn't too happy. That's why I was hoping to go to an original one and take the unviolated gear out of the parts car and have everything fit right.. I will post some pictures later of what I got now in my thread... don't want to hijack any more of Dominic' s thread

DOMINIC

It's Friday a.m. and I had very little oppurtunity's to get back on this engine. Here is what I found so far. Pulled the freeze plugs and found no obstructions,just a very clean block. I did find one burnt out set of points. Ordered new points condensor,set it up properly and its ready to fire. I don't want to make to many changes at once. I want to see what fixes it. I do have an aluminum waterpump coming "next week" so stay tuned. I am gonna run it again this weekend,do another compression and leak down test and check the valve lash. Thats's my plan!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Dominic,you may have found the problem,burned points=screwed up dwell=screwed up timing!

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Retarded timing, lean mixture in the carb(s) or old, insufficient radiator. Tackle all three of those things and you'll be in business. My 470hp 409 runs 170-185 in 80 degree humid Wisconsin summer weather

Bernie

I looked at the pictures of the front of block and my block looked the same. I ground out all of the flashing in the water pump
inlet holes. Wanted all the flow I could get.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I looked at the pictures of the front of block and my block looked the same. I ground out all of the flashing in the water pump
inlet holes. Wanted all the flow I could get.
I do that on every block I prep before taking over to have the machine work done to it.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Make sure you have the resistor wire or the external resistor to the points or it will burn again in short use.