Overheating question

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maybe someone with a 409-409 could let their engine idle and see how long it will run before overheating. That would give a baseline on what is acceptable.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I would bet a properly running 409 would run out of fuel before it would overheat. Bet mine would!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil,As MRHP said it stands for hydrocarbons.In this case,it'a more accuate to call it unburned hydrocarbons because it's unburned hydrocarbons [basicly and exhaust gas leak] caused by the warpage/poor sealing gaskets.Before we had the more modern air/fuel meters for tunning,we often used the CO [carbon monoxide],and HC [unburned hydrocarbon] readings to make the car perform better,get better mileage[unburned hydrocarbons are after all unburned MONEY going out the tailpipe]Hope that helps.

DOMINIC

Sorry again. I thought i posted this hrs ago.
Thermometer, raytec and independent guage. All the same. A baseline would be good but before this began the car would overheat within a few miles on a mild day. Any motor in this setup should idle for quite awhile without exceeding 220. I have done this with every motor I build. Great for breaking in cams, adjusting valves and carbs, timing and especially verifying no oil leaks before install. I like to run at least 5gals of fuel through a motor before I pull it off. I think compression is to high for street use idling. The 104 octane made a difference of 10 extra minutes in idle time. Im gonna get after it again on Monday. It makes sense lowering the combustion temp. with 104. And yep,, this engine should run out of gas before it overheats. Little frustrated, Dom

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Dominic, did you say you ran a cylinder leakage test? I agree that 150 lbs compression is very low, which means the obvious. If there was warpage between the block and heads could be that a couple of thousandths might not have cleaned it up especially if the number pad is still legible.
Now, a real left field overheating problem I had.....I have a 340 HP 62 Vette. When we rebuilt it a couple of years ago it overheated almost immediately. Bottom line without dragging everyone through the agony of hearing the entire story, we found "slag" inside the water jacket of the block that had come loose, looked like a coat hanger stuffed inside the block. I really doubt the slag pieces are your problem, but I would recheck the amount the block/heads were decked.
Good Luck.

No409

Supporting Member 1
triple check timing, make sure it aint running to lean, do you have a fan in front of rad to siumlate road driving, or just trying to get a sitting there ,no overheat condition? my motor is 13.5 to 1, and will sit there all day with a stock rad, stock shroud, and a fan clutch setup, 160 stat, wont go over 200. . Ive found myself in similar situations, K.I.S.S. we`ll figure it out

Bernie

what about upper rad. hose? Is top of hose above or below top of rad. Was talking to an old racer last night and he told me of a problem he
had with his 427 66 Biscayne. Air was trap in hose because of height to rad. just a idea. I know you used a air lift system.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I also remember reading about block pressure ( water pump pressure) to be checked. I don't remember all the perticulars, but it is a good diagnostic tool to see if the waterpump is flowing enough gpm to properly cool the motor. I would also try an aftermarket hi performance pump if you believe your radiator, airflow, cam timing, initial timing, are correct. I believe compression has little to no effect on your heat problem. Can you get the specs on the cam, and where it was degreed in at. I can't help but think 150 cranking compression is too low for this motor. My 12.0 motor cools decent. Yours should too.

DOMINIC

13.5 to 1 wow. What octane do you use? How big is the bore?Has anyone taken temps at original exhaust manifold exists while running?
I like your questions about radiator/hose height. That is often overlooked but I am perfect there. leak down was done. 2% to 4%. Im locked up tight there. Compression is upper 150's as I look at my notes but it is what it is. Leak down is good.
You all gave me some things to revisit. Yes Tom,, I live by the K.I.S.S. method. Keep It Simple Stupid !!!!!

Bernie

What about water pump by pass hose? I plugged mine to force all coolant through the radiator. only left a small weep hole. I also read some where that those hi performance water
pumps can push water too fast through the radiator, not giving it enough time to do it's job. (just thinking here.)

DOMINIC

Yep. I took that off to. No change. Im friends with glenn jr at billet specialties. Maybe he can lend me a pump.I'll try it next week.Along with alot of other stuff . You guys gave me some stuff to go on. Thank you again.Dominic

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The car I bought from my buddy in 1988 always had overheating problems when he had the car. Found the problem was the radiator was from a 6 banger. Wrong inlet/outlet placement. FYI..............

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The car I bought from my buddy in 1988 always had overheating problems when he had the car. Found the problem was the radiator was from a 6 banger. Wrong inlet/outlet placement. FYI..............
What's different about the 6cyl radiator?? I was planning on recoreing the radiator in the parts car I just bought and using it in front of my new engine..

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Bad impeller or impeller to back cover clearance. Will cause it to cavitate. Try a different water pump. Sometimes there is casting metal inside the block where the water pump bolts up. hard to see. Adds a big restriction. Make sure the lower radiator hose has a spring in it, hose likes to suck closed. Mine can idle all day in the summer at 210, drop to 160 when I start moving.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
What's different about the 6cyl radiator?? I was planning on recoreing the radiator in the parts car I just bought and using it in front of my new engine..
Too small Ricky. Get an appropriate size for your new engine. I consider a 4-core radiator an absolute necessity for any 409. You can't get a wide enough core with the 6-cylinder side brackets.