It's what's for supper

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’ve had smoked carp, my grandpa used to smoke them when I was a kid. Good but kinda greasy
Most of my life, almost exclusively, people always said not to eat carp. Different reasons but mostly they would say they have too many bones and it's not worth the hassle. I have only met a handful of people who have said they eat them. We would fish for them when the catfish stopped biting for something to do. We used dough balls that were basically bread, log cabin syrup, and peanut butter. We use to catch huge carp around our catfish hole, but always threw them back. Maybe we were wrong :dunno But that's what you get when tales persist through time.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I honestly never fished for them either. Walleye, perch or cats are all I keep to eat. Eelpout is supposed to be really good too but never kept one. Just remember my Finlander grandpa smoking them

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ive always heard that because of so many small bones that they were to be cooked in a presure cooker and that made the bones edible! Some people would can “jar” them in a tomato sauce and that it was good!! Never eat any myself!

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We used to cook about everything we caught when cooking a big community fish fry.
We would score the carp along the rib’s pretty deep and fry them up with everything else. Always enjoyed those time, haven’t been to one since moving to NC. We do have some good pig pickins around here though.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Most of my life, almost exclusively, people always said not to eat carp. Different reasons but mostly they would say they have too many bones and it's not worth the hassle. I have only met a handful of people who have said they eat them. We would fish for them when the catfish stopped biting for something to do. We used dough balls that were basically bread, log cabin syrup, and peanut butter. We use to catch huge carp around our catfish hole, but always threw them back. Maybe we were wrong :dunno But that's what you get when tales persist through time.

Smoke em if you got em....

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Jeff. Your biscuit recipe. You started off with a half a batch. How many biscuits did that make?

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dave,
Jayne has a round "cookie" cutter that is about 2-3/8" id. It made about 7-8 biscuits, I wanted something bigger. Used a 1" long piece of 3" pvc pipe beveling the outer edge on 1 end and made a 3" id cutter. Got 4 biscuits. Roll dough to 1/2" thickness and cut pressing down on cutter. They will rise to 3/4-1". Do not twist cutter, it seals the edges and they do not rise as well. Full recipe, 2 cups self rising flour, 1-1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream. Search Youtube, Kent Rollins 2 ingredient biscuits. This guy is a hoot.
Jeff

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
WOO HOO, Dave the rock crusher turned biscuit maker! How'd you like the biscuits? They look good. Not as easy as frozen Grands, but it gives you something to do. I was pretty proud of myself at how easy these are and they are just as good as the Grands IMO. I cook them in a cast iron skillet and grease it with bacon grease, per Kent.
Jeff

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Experimented today. Tried cooking my 2 ingredient biscuits over the fire at camp. Got them on and put a Weber lid over the top to make it like an oven. Worked so good I almost sprained my shoulder trying to pat myself on the back. The scrappy piece in the middle was the leftover dough wadded up.
Jeff

Attachments

• 20240824_084617[1].jpg
    20240824_084617[1].jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 7

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Experimented today. Tried cooking my 2 ingredient biscuits over the fire at camp. Got them on and put a Weber lid over the top to make it like an oven. Worked so good I almost sprained my shoulder trying to pat myself on the back. The scrappy piece in the middle was the leftover dough wadded up.
Jeff
Love it, but not sure I am buying the so called scrap piece in the middle :scratch:D:D:D

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Jeff

Nothing better than grub over a wood fire when camping.....:bow