58mark checking in

58mark

Well Known Member
1157. that's the number. Couldn't think of it from memory. thanks

those green lights inside are very confusing, but the entire car has been reworked from scratch, so I'm sure mistakes were made. I keep telling myself this will all be worth it, and when it's over I'll have a family treasure I can look at with pride for the rest of my life, but man... it's a pain sometimes.

I have said for years this job is 90% scavenger hunt, and 10% jigsaw puzzle. He has EVERYTHING we possibly need, but finding it in the house at the moment we need it is the tricky part.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
With one side of your parking lights dim and the other side bright, it sounds like they are wired together because that would bleed back into your signal switch and turn on the green indicators. Also as Cecil sugested, check your ground wires on both sides of the front light harness. Grounds can give ya a fit as well.

58mark

Well Known Member
thanks! gives me a lot to look at. now I wish It was going to be sooner than Friday before I go over there

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On the door alignment problem, my old painter said he would get the doors lined up first, then line up the fenders to the doors and hood, etc.

Don

58mark

Well Known Member
I thought I had done that, but once the fenders were in place I realized the drivers door needs to go back just a little more. Oh well first time hanging doors, can't expect it to be perfect

58mark

Well Known Member
went over there today and tested the current to each wire, and it seemed good. The issue probably is the ground, because he has almost everything powdercoated up there, and it's probably messing things up. Not sure though, because we can get one filament to light up,(the dim one) but not the bright turn signal one. The same filament lights up on both the parking lights and the turn signals. Go figure.

I'll post more when we fortify the grounds. car is still doing some strange things, like the parking lights working even though the grille wasn't even on the car. It shouldn't work at all if it's just sitting there, should it?

Also, we have a very small constant power draw through the horn wire (about 0.02 volts) Can't figure out how that's possible either.

58mark

Well Known Member
did some grounding work today

After taking everything apart, Turned out not only did he powdercoat everything, but also laid down a thick coat of shellac inside the chrome housing for the turn signals, all in the name of weatherproofing and getting the car ready for the next 50 years.

So I had to scrape away powdercoating in several contact areas, and the same with the shellac. At the end of the day before we stopped for dinner, three of the four lights were working as planned, but we are having an issue with the fourth. We're going to have to try something else with that one.

hopefully we'll have it going by Thursday, at least this part of the project

58mark

Well Known Member
here's the picture of the repair. Turns out it might not have had anything to do with the powdercoating after all. The tube the comes up from the bucket was not making contact with each other at all. Can't imagine how or why, but there was next to no connection there. I cleaned off a little of the powdercoating and bridged the two using solder and a butane pen. I'm getting full continuity now.

2012-08-30_10-11-07_779.jpg

dad is worried about rust, but i'll shoot a little primer or something over the bare metal parts before I put it back together.

58mark

Well Known Member
Got a BUNCH done today!

there's an outside chance that on Monday we might get the bumper and hood on (but more likely just the bumper and get the hood READY to put on)

2012-08-30_18-11-13_502.jpg

2012-08-30_18-15-04_608.jpg

this is a short video... Click it!

58mark

Well Known Member
Nice day today. My son and I went over there after church to put the hood on. We got it on without to many issues, and only one small adjustment to get it to look really nice!

we could have put the headlight in today too, but we're missing those concave washers that go under the ornaments on top of the fenders. I ddn't even know we needed special washers until today. I told dad if we don't find them soon, we will mod a regular fender washer to work, and then if and when we find the right parts, I'll take apart the headlight assembly to swap out the washers then.

pics from today. I hoped this update would have the headlights in there, but I'm still happy.

It was also nice that my 16 year old son was there too. At the end we talked about how his Great grandfather helped (verbally) rebuild the engine on this car back in 1980, and this was a 4th generation car.

IMG_2999.jpg

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Great car Mark, looks real nice and to keep it in the family is a beautiful thing to do.

keep up the good work

Steve

58mark

Well Known Member
LET THERE BE LIGHT! We also got the brake lights, tail lights, interior lights, and reverse lights to work today. If we threw the front seat in, we could go cruising!

2012-09-10_15-58-21_738.jpg

The radiator fan used to scrape the shroud, so dad thought we would have a hard time putting it in, so until now we haven't had it. Today we got brave and tried it, and it worked fine, no extra modifications needed. Things went BETTER than expected for once!

I think Thursday we are either putting in the washer jar under the hood, or starting on the headliner. I also need to re hang the drivers door