Swapping in an M22 in place of a TH350

bobs409

Administrator
I've been toying with the idea of putting a new M-22 4 speed in my 66 Chevelle/409 instead of the TH350 that's in there now. (been a dream of mine for a while now) :deal

A few questions; will the driveshaft currently on the car mate up with an M22 in length and yoke spline count? The TH350 in there now has the 6 inch tail housing if that helps.

What bell housing will I need for the 409?

Car only has a 3.08 posi currently (plans to go 3.73 or 4.11 in future) What first gear ratio in the trans is best?

Lastly, I might as well ask for any leads on the best place to purchase a new M22. I've been searching the net and prices seem to range from $1795.00-$2095.00 give or take. That's brand new top to bottom and no core charge.

As you may have been able to tell, I'm a 4 speed novice. I could drive em since age 12 but not up on the technical stuff. :D Please enlighten me...

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've been toying with the idea of putting a new M-22 4 speed in my 66 Chevelle/409 instead of the TH350 that's in there now. (been a dream of mine for a while now) :deal

A few questions; will the driveshaft currently on the car mate up with an M22 in length and yoke spline count? The TH350 in there now has the 6 inch tail housing if that helps.

What bell housing will I need for the 409?

Car only has a 3.08 posi currently (plans to go 3.73 or 4.11 in future) What first gear ratio in the trans is best?

Lastly, I might as well ask for any leads on the best place to purchase a new M22. I've been searching the net and prices seem to range from $1795.00-$2095.00 give or take. That's brand new top to bottom and no core charge.

As you may have been able to tell, I'm a 4 speed novice. I could drive em since age 12 but not up on the technical stuff. :D Please enlighten me...

Bob,
Attached is a chart of transmission specs. Autogear http://www.autogear.net/muncieproducts.htm
seems to have pretty good rep for the current M-22 gears and trans.
Any bellhousing other than the 63 421 or any truck hydraulic clutch type should work. Looks like only a 1/4 inch difference in the length.

Attachments

• transchart.jpg
    transchart.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 56
  • trannychart.jpg
    trannychart.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 56
  • trannychart2.jpg
    trannychart2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 51

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bob,
Why a M-22? A M21 or M20 or even a T-10 would be much cheaper, quieter and would take all of the abuse that you would give it.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob,I agree with Cecil but he forgot to tell you that you need a bell housing that will take the 168 tooth flywheel.Usually a 621 bell housing will work.The smaller bellhousing(10 1/2") will not allow you to get a starter to bolt up.Also like he said the 63' bellhousing will not work because the hole that the transmission head shaft goes thru is smaller that year.You must use a 63' only tranny . John

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks guys.

Tommy, there is only 1 reason why the M22. The sound! :D

What can I say, I'm a guy that knows what he likes. :deal

The research continues...

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Tommy, there is only 1 reason why the M22. The sound! :D

What can I say, I'm a guy that knows what he likes. :deal

The research continues...

THAT IS ABSOLUTLEY THE SAME REASON I RIDE HARLEY DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:bow:bow:bow:cool::cool::cool:

bobs409

Administrator
Well, I just ordered the NEW M22W! Wooohoo! :pray $1,950 plus about $75 shipping.

Will be a few weeks until they can build it as they are waiting on cluster gears, whatever they are. LOL

Now I start buying the 99 other parts I need to actually install it. :deal

Now I want everyone to know, I'm not doing this for me. I'm just trying to stimulate the economy a bit. :D

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Now I want everyone to know, I'm not doing this for me. I'm just trying to stimulate the economy a bit. :D

Bob: Our government has someone watching every website!! Now you've made this comment.................do you realize that you will be getting a Christmas card from Nancy Pelosi now??????????????:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
Bob,

Did you buy the tranny from Autogear? They are here in Syracuse, not far from my house. Maybe I could deliver it.

bobs409

Administrator
Don, yep, getting it from Autogear. Shipping is only $75 so not bad at all.

Phil, don't scare me like that! :eek: The last list I want to be on would be Nancy's. :barf

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
:bowFew things in life are as satisfying as the whine of a rockcrusher.:clap
This clip doesn't exactly do it justice but if you listen you can hear it in first and second gear.
http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=two+lane+whine+m22&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#
I think you can actually hear it a little better if you click on the link to "Two Lane Blacktop part 10" (about 1/2 way down the page) then skip ahead in the clip to 3:40
http://video.google.ca/videosearch?...wo+lane+blacktop&hl=en&view=2&emb=0&start=130

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I LOVE THAT MOVIE!! Always wanted a car just like that since I first saw it as a kid.
The whine is cool on the M22's but you should hear the Doug Nash :eek: Straight cut gears....

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob, Good call on the M22W. The lower first gear will be much more enjoyable on the street along with getting your car moving quicker "off the line". I have seen that Autogear now has an even wider M22 style gearset that has (I think) a 2.94 first gear. Been thinking of that one myself. But by all means ya gotta go with the straighter cut M22 style gears just for the sound! :clap

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
will the driveshaft currently on the car mate up with an M22 in length and yoke spline count?

Bob,
Nothing better then a 4-speed Chevelle, especially a blue 1966. :cheers

I believe the drive shaft length is the same whether it be an automatic or a Manual for the 66-67 Chevelle (stock drive shaft). The yolk is going to be different from your turbo 350 to the Muncie 4-speed if I remember correctly.

bobs409

Administrator
I'm just hoping the length of driveshaft is the same. The yoke should be correct as it is. The guy I spoke to said I should be able to use my current driveshaft. I'm going with the 27 spline output. He suggested going with the 26 input over the 10 as it is stronger so I am. I just have to order the correct clutch disc for it.

Been having fun ordering parts galore! New console, pedals w/linkage, shifter w/linkage, bellhousing, dust cover, boots & retainers, etc, etc. I refuse to add it all up until it's all sitting here on my garage floor! :D :eek:

The only possible problem is I *may* have is I may have to modify my custom made headers for the Z bar. One or two tubes anyway. I haven't even looked in there yet. Don't want anything to spoil my fun. LOL

Bob

bobs409

Administrator
Bill, this was originally an automatic. For this year, that would mean a powerglide although I never saw it. When I got the car, it had the TH350. (in the trunk) lol

It's a short shaft TH350 (6 inch tailshaft)

Engine is a 1963 400hp 409.

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think you made an excellent choice. Just something wrong about putting an automatic behind a 409. I don't why......maybe it's just straying away from "that song" or something. I purchased an Autogear M22 for my current Biscayne. Probably took me a year to fully decide what transmission to put in this car. I thought about Tremecs, Richmond 5-speeds (which was ruled out rather quickly after having one in my '55 and hating that piece of junk), used Muncies and Borg-Warner ST-10's. I then realized that I had never owned a REAL M-22 Rockcrusher in any of my cars. The most iconic transmission of the Musclecar Era. Well, that's a missing part of my life that needed fixing! Someday, we're gonna be chauffered around in robotic electric cars........I can say that I once owned and drove a loud, gas-guzzling, Big-Block, noisy Muncie Rockcrusher 4-speed early-Sixites Musclecar.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Hey Bob or Mark----------- Are all the muncies and T 10s the same length. In other words will the 4 speed original drive shaft work on any of them ? I have a power glide drive shaft that I'm going to take to St. Louis and have it shortened to a 4 speed shaft. Thought I'd better check with some of you guys first !............Thanks.............Ken:?:?