65 Chevy II 409 Swap

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
There's an all original except for the small rally wheels 65 Nova wagon in a driveway around the corner here. It looks like grandma just parked it after getting home from the store. It has 283 emblems on it, it's all original, and its for sale. $18,500. You could have bought a house with that when that car was new.

409envy

Well Known Member
There's an all original except for the small rally wheels 65 Nova wagon in a driveway around the corner here. It looks like grandma just parked it after getting home from the store. It has 283 emblems on it, it's all original, and its for sale. $18,500. You could have bought a house with that when that car was new.

Makes me feel like I made out when I bought this thing 5 years ago. Although I doubt it will sell for what they are asking the wagons have slowly gained in popularity. I have no intentions of selling mine its just nice to see them appreciate a little in value.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I can still remember what I paid for my L-79 equipped 66 ChevyII,2654.11 out the door.I'd be hard pressed to be able to buy a set of the original wheel covers for it now!
one of the best combinations back then and now. i had a 67 nova with a 350 transplant. lost it in a divorce. jim

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I can still remember what I paid for my L-79 equipped 66 ChevyII,2654.11 out the door.I'd be hard pressed to be able to buy a set of the original wheel covers for it now!

I had one too Don, ordered it from Friendly Chevrolet in Dallas. Only around 1400 or so built, ordered mine with transistor distributer, only 3 built. Got married, both had new cars, sold mine to a 16 year old and he destroyed it two weeks later.:cry

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

409envy

Well Known Member
Couple of issues to take care of before I get it out on the street. First is the brakes, they are non existent! I rebuilt the whole system from the master cylinder back to the rear, replaced all the lines and rubber hoses etc but they are still junk. I think I have the adjusters all the way in so the brake pads are not engaging the drum. I also found out that my passenger side front wheel cylinder is leaking now, probably from sitting for over 2 years.

The other problem is the engine is burning oil/running pig rich... a light puff of blue/black smoke on startup and when I took it around the block it was burning it on acceleration. I didn't bring it over 4k the whole time and the engine only has a couple of hours of run time on it so the rings have probably not fully seated yet. I think it is oil pushing past the rings because of so much positive crankcase pressure. I only have the PCV valve in the back carb and the push on oil filler/breather in the fill tube. I am going to be adding some big Offenhauser breathers to each valve cover to see if that helps. The funny thing is it wasn't burning oil when I was running open headers only after I had my exhaust installed. I think it probably has way too much crankcase pressure now and nowhere for it to go. I also pulled the plugs to see if they were coated in oil and they were not, very black and sooty from the rich condition but not oily. I will try to get a video of it on the street once I get these issues sorted out.