65 Chevy II 409 Swap

409envy

Well Known Member
I am installing a 425hp 409 into my 65 Chevy II station wagon. The look will be 60's era Factory Experimental (think Bill Thomas) Hopefully everyone enjoys following along. I will be doing the majority of the fabricating my self. The engine is in the works right now and I will be providing updates as I can. The engine in the pictures is a 348 I am using for mock-up.

Enjoy!

Out with old:

In with the new:

Just because:

Last edited:

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Are you going to be able to get headers or manifolds on the motor? I had a friend who did this same swap years ago, he removed the spring towers and used a straight axle with quarter eliptic springs.
Whatever, I like it

409envy

Well Known Member
I am going to fabricate fender-well headers for the car. I want to retain the stock front clip so I am going to notch the shock towers and see what I can do. I am also going to have to fabricate an oil pan notch for clearing the steering center link. All part of the fun as far as I am concerned!

Tex63

Well Known Member
409 will really make the II fly, they are almost 1000 pounds lighter than the full size

409envy

Well Known Member
You know, that engine fits in there pretty well . Didn't Rusty Symmes also do a Chevy II 409 wagon?

I think he built a b/fx Chevy II wagon with the fuel injected corvette small block. I have seen several Chevy II sedans with the Z-11 swap done that competed as match racers in the 60's. That is where I got my inspiration from. I have never seen a 409 Chevy II wagon in all my research...

409envy

Well Known Member
20150916_210428.jpg 20150916_210248.jpg 20150916_210316.jpg Passenger side header tacked up. Starting on the driver side. Motor is coming together but my builder ordered the wrong size pistons. Since they are custom forgings there is a 6 week lead time so I will have to wait a little longer for the motor. Plenty of time to sort the car out. Here are some pics of the header.