65 Chevy II 409 Swap

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Might be a good idea to make a couple of templates or measurements of the holes in the shock towers and headers in case one of us " nut jobs" might want to do one also. I know Mark( Oil4kids) was going to do one, but things changed.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Referencing the earlier mention of Rusty's wagon....His wagon is a B/FX with a Rochester fuel injected small block. He has done a second Chevy II....a very low milage hardtop with a mystery motor. The installation is very neat....looks factory. The factory 4 piece cast headers also fix with only very minor mods to the factory "dog house"

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What are your plans for the car after completion? I think this is one of the most interesting builds out there. Maybe because I have wood for the 64/65 Chevy II's especially the wagons. I drove a 1962 ChevyII four banger three on the tree. Great car.

409envy

Well Known Member
What are your plans for the car after completion? I think this is one of the most interesting builds out there. Maybe because I have wood for the 64/65 Chevy II's especially the wagons. I drove a 1962 ChevyII four banger three on the tree. Great car.

Thanks for the compliment! It means a lot!
As far as plans are concerned... I am definitely going to race it and drive it as much as possible. The car will have a full stock appearing exhaust system and block off's for the headers so I can drive it on the street. I am going to bring it to events like the Hot Rod Reunion and Meltdown Drags etc... Plus I will try to attend as many forum related events as possible.

I really dig the idea of driving this car to the track with the slicks in the back seat, dropping the exhaust, bolting on the slicks and making some passes. Then changing back over to street tires and driving home. Im going to keep the stock interior and outward appearance of the car aside from a few minor deviations for performance. I have a pontiac "super duty" hood scoop off a big job Ford truck that I will be installing for some added cold air induction.

Eventually (and this is a long way off) I want to put together a Z-11 or at least a Z-11 top end and see what I can do with that.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thanks for the compliment! It means a lot!
As far as plans are concerned... I am definitely going to race it and drive it as much as possible. The car will have a full stock appearing exhaust system and block off's for the headers so I can drive it on the street. I am going to bring it to events like the Hot Rod Reunion and Meltdown Drags etc... Plus I will try to attend as many forum related events as possible.

I really dig the idea of driving this car to the track with the slicks in the back seat, dropping the exhaust, bolting on the slicks and making some passes. Then changing back over to street tires and driving home. Im going to keep the stock interior and outward appearance of the car aside from a few minor deviations for performance. I have a pontiac "super duty" hood scoop off a big job Ford truck that I will be installing for some added cold air induction.

Eventually (and this is a long way off) I want to put together a Z-11 or at least a Z-11 top end and see what I can do with that.
Always have a friend handy at the track with a pickup truck and a car hauling trailer behind it. Unless you want to park outside the gate at midnight in a rain storm because you broke a pushrod.

409envy

Well Known Member
Always have a friend handy at the track with a pickup truck and a car hauling trailer behind it. Unless you want to park outside the gate at midnight in a rain storm because you broke a pushrod.

I have been there before! First couple of outings I will definitely trailer the car. The engine I am building right now should be pretty durable. Its not super high rpm or compression but you never know with 50+ year old parts. Thanks again!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Interesting build, and interesting that Ray drove a 62 Chevy II , as my first car I bought at age 15 was a robin egg blue 62 Chevy II with a 4 cyl. and 3 on the tree, radio delete cheapie. Thrashed it hard for 2 yrs. only thing I broke was the shift lever off the column power shifting 2nd .
Mine would pop the tires in 2nd. White two door post.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Man that car is cool. I really dig the wagon body and your period correct early/mid 60's plans for it. Keep the white steelies you have on the front, and the same just a little wider and deeper with black wall, pie crust cheaters on the rear:brow:bow

Those headers look bitchin too!!

409envy

Well Known Member
So I wanted to take a little survey. I have been pondering wheel and tire combinations for the nova while working on the headers. I threw on a set of 15x4 keystones that I had picked up a while back. I am going to stay with steelies in the back with cheater slicks but I'm not settled on the fronts yet. Maybe steelies for the street, keystones for the strip?
20151011_140709.jpg 20151011_140653.jpg

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Keystones look good on there. I vote white steelies tho. I dig the 14's you had pictured with the old pie crust bias plys on em. I love that early 60's, plain steel wheel, super stock look.

409envy

Well Known Member
Thanks for the input guys. I am leaning toward the steel wheels as well. I just wanted to see what other options would look like.

409envy

Well Known Member
Finally was able to get some pictures of the block... as well as a few of the rotating assembly. It's an 814 QC block. We had to deck it but I was able to get a pic of what's left of the deck stamp. Scat forged I beam bbc rods with bushed ends for floating pins, arp cap screws etc... I will be running arp main studs with the armasteel caps. 427 bbc crank. The pistons are forgings. I will get more details when I can get down to the shop. 20151016_172859.jpg 20151016_173131.jpg 20151016_173711.jpg 20151016_173716.jpg