409 Deck Surface Question, have nick under head gasket ring

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
May be over thinking this. I probably wouldn’t have given it a second thought on one of my old small block builds back when I was racing years ago . I got my deck of the block cleaned up. I used a nylon brush wheel to clean without removing any material. This block was decked before I got it. I have checked with straight edge and it is perfectly flat. I have a spot on #7 cylinder that has a small nick maybe .010 deep I think I may have hit it with shaft of grinder when I was cleaning up. Do you think it will be an issue. If there was some one local I might try to get decked again but as I said has been cut before. I’m not sure how much. Walden did it back in 2009 before I ever got motor. The motor never got built as the owner passed away. It sat till I bought from guy who bought from widow. Here’s some pictures I put gasket on and marked to show where ring is. My pistons are 10.5 Ross I’m assuming block is 0 deck or close to as all numbers are gone. I have Felpro Permatorque gaskets. Solid copper might be an option if you think I might have issues with. Just not sure how to proceed. Gonna shoot for about.040 quench from what I’ve read on here. This will be a hot rod toy, ride to town and such on weekends maybe take to drag strip on occasionally.

Attachments

• IMG_9950.jpeg
    IMG_9950.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9951.jpeg
    IMG_9951.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9952.jpeg
    IMG_9952.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9953.jpeg
    IMG_9953.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9954.jpeg
    IMG_9954.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9955.jpeg
    IMG_9955.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9956.jpeg
    IMG_9956.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If the damage goes under the combustion chamber armor you need to surface it. Like Dan said, mock it up and measure. I try to get the top of the head gasket 9.830ish from the center of the crank. In my opinion that is where GM had it. Reason for this is manifold fitment. But this hinges on piston height also. You want .040/.045 quench. Your 8007 Fel Pro is .042/.045ish thick compressed (you could call them) and will require about .025 removed to get to 9.830ish. Best head gaskets are .044 & .054 compressed. You can always go Cometic if you need thicker.
Jeff

Last edited:

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
What are the best head gaskets to run with the aluminum heads, I have heard composite? From what I have been searching on here lots of folks had problems with Felpro 8007's.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What are the best head gaskets to run with the aluminum heads, I have heard composite? From what I have been searching on here lots of folks had problems with Felpro 8007's.
Personally, I can't say as I have a preference. You essentially have 4 choices, Fel-Pro, Best, Cometic and if you can find them, original GM steel shim. Original GM has 348 & 409 gaskets. Different bores.
Jeff

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
Its looking like Cometic.
I went to their website and they show gaskets from .020 all the way to .080 in several increments, this will help alot if I have to get this deck cut again, it has been cut already I know since numbers are gone. What are the 4.437 Gaskets for, that would be a .125 over bore? I wonder if I could use one of those without decking block or should I stay with the 4.375 Bore, Mine is .060 over so would be this one. Thats .062 , half of that would be .031 per side. not sure if that would clean it up anyways tho.

Here are the links if anyone is interested:

Last edited:

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Its looking like Cometic.
I went to their website and they show gaskets from .020 all the way to .070 in several increments, this will help alot if I have to get this deck cut again, it has been cut already I know since numbers are gone.

Here are the links if anyone is interested:

You need to either mock it up and measure or do some good measuring. Mock up is probably best. You may have enough left on the deck to just cut and use your Fel-Pro's. The Best gasket is available in .054. Cometics are fine, just more expensive. You need to figure out where you need to be, before you try to get there.
Jeff