1964 Belair 327 oil pan

JWahlstrom

I'm in the process of replacing the 230 with a 327, and grabbed the best pan I could find out of the corner of the shed. Turns out it's a 1955 265 pan (top in photo) and will not bolt up. The bottom pan has been patched and I'd rather not use it. My question is, will the unpainted one in the middle clear the frame?

Attachments

• IMG_1718.jpeg
    IMG_1718.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 25

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had a 64 that had a 350 from a 70 Nova that fit with no issues. I'll see if that pan is still on the block. That one in the middle has that middle step that might tangle with the crossmember.. Bob

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
In the Rock auto catalog, they have pics of an oil pan that has a smaller middle sump. They don't list a 64 pan. It didn't help. I was checking to see if they used the same part number, but they don't.
Bob

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
JWahlstrom,
"Turns out it's a 1955 265 pan (top in photo) and will not bolt up." I thought all SBC pan bolt patterns were the same?? But the 55,56/57 could have something queer that I am not familiar with! Can you elaborate?
Jeff

JWahlstrom

JWahlstrom,
"Turns out it's a 1955 265 pan (top in photo) and will not bolt up." I thought all SBC pan bolt patterns were the same?? But the 55,56/57 could have something queer that I am not familiar with! Can you elaborate?
Jeff
Before a couple of days ago I thought they were all the same, too. The 1955 pan does not taper to clear the oil filter, but has a LH rail symmetrical to the right side. I'll post a photo later.

JWahlstrom

I had a 64 that had a 350 from a 70 Nova that fit with no issues. I'll see if that pan is still on the block. That one in the middle has that middle step that might tangle with the crossmember.. Bob
Thanks, Bob. That step is what concerns me, and part of why I initially chose the top one.

JWahlstrom

Here's the difference in the pans. The upside, aside from having learned something, is that I now have a 1955 oil pan for sale.

Attachments

• IMG_1721.jpeg
    IMG_1721.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 20

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think all SBC pans 57 on should fit. The 57-64 had a huge sump. think about the w sump. 65 added a step as the steering became rear steer. Your middle one maybe one. The other thing that move is the dip stick. It has been on both sides, but I don't know when this was.
stolen internet pic

Attachments

• image_2023-12-12_175204000.jpeg
    image_2023-12-12_175204000.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 4

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I learned 2 things today. 1: 55 & 56 SBC oil pans are unique to those years. Which poses a question, did they filter the oil?
2: It cost dearly for the privilege of driving nice vehicles! (Just got back from the collectors office.)
Jeff

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jeff, cars older than the 50's may have had oil filters as an option. I've seen many 55-57's with a remote oil filter. maybe with a wingnut on top?
Find a picture of a restored 55.
Bob

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
By the time we started tinkering with the tri fives, the butchering had already begun. I had a 56 when I got out of eight grade. It may have had one of those remote deals. The car didn't last long enough to need an oil change.
Bob

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The 55 bolted to the thermostat housing<the 56 had the filter in the usual location,or at least the ones that I had did.I also had a 57 with a 265 [engine codee C] .The 55-56 had a different oiling system as noted y the groove in the rear cam journal.By the 57 model they'd fixed that mess.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 55 bolted to the thermostat housing<the 56 had the filter in the usual location,or at least the ones that I had did.I also had a 57 with a 265 [engine codee C] .The 55-56 had a different oiling system as noted y the groove in the rear cam journal.By the 57 model they'd fixed that mess.
I looked on the Rock and the pan gasket was a 55-56 year part. In 57 the # changed. I have a 265 block I will have to look at. All I can remember is that it does not have side mount provisions.
Jeff

JWahlstrom

And what is said pan worth?
Jeff
I won't find out until I find someone who wants it! I've spent more time being annoyed that this pan didn't fit, cleaning tacky RTV off the bottom of the block, and trying to find a replacement than I've spent evaluating its value.