West Coast Shout Out is ON

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
West Coast Shoot Out is ON

I just got off the phone with Danny Wright, the president of Samoa Dragstrip, and he is thrilled that we are having our race there. He will have a special redwood trophy made up for us which is "way cool", they call it their "Redwood Wally". He will also be putting us on their schedule along with making up some flyers for the event.

We talked about how their "Nostalgia Weekend" event runs and how we could get us to fit in, which really isn't a problem. Saturday we can enter the regular nostalgia classes and then Sunday hold our 348-409 Shoot Out. That will give us a chance to dial our cars in on Saturday and then go for the trophy on Sunday. We would still be eligible to win our classes on Saturday so you could take home 2 trophies.

If you will be traveling there in a motorhome you can "dry" camp at the track, which will be open on Friday or Thursday if you want to get there real early. You will be able to stay there until Monday. There are motels in Eureka but Danny said they don't have any special rate provisions with them, as of yet. Pat, 409newby, will be looking into motel accomodations and post what he finds out.

You can go to http://www.samoadragstrip.com to get dragstrip information.

Eureka California is a nice small town right on the Pacific Coast, at sea level which should make for some very good racing and enjoyable scenery----Right Phil ;)

So far there are 10 409 powered car owners that are wanting to be there. Let's get some more and make this a fabulous event. Maybe we can even get Doug Marion to come out west and check us out. :cool:

I hope to see more people and if anyone has any questions just ask me and I will get you an answer.

Paul

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Paul, Sounds good. I checked the milage and its 516.2 miles for me going down 101.....:cool: For some reason your link did not work. Try this http://www.samoadragstrip.com/ Also there is no schedule for 2011 yet on their website. Is the date set for August 27-28?:dunno

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Opps, my mistake I corrected the link, thanks Dan. Yes, their schedule is up for 2011 and yes the dates are August 27-28, 2011. The schedule is right on the main page on "2011 Schedule". They don't have a lot going on but they want to and our shoot out event is just the kind of racing they like.

Paul

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Motel's in Eureka

Was on the phone about 2 hour's today checking on accommodation's in Eureka, almost all motel's there the parking suck's. Motel 6 sound's like they have the best setup for parking trailer's and such and their rate's with tax is about $66 per nite, restaurant next door. All motel's I spoke with said to reserve asap! Summertime at the beach book's up fast. their ph.# is 707-445-9631. If motel 6 is not for you other's are Discovery Inn 707-441-8442, Best Western 707-443-2234, Red Lion 877-733-6006, Comfort Inn 707-444-2019. I will be traveling through Eureka in may and will check out restaurant's and will post my finding's Pat:cheers

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We are still planning to attend ! I looked at the map and milage from Boise. It doesn't make much sense for us to drive all the way to Portland to meet up with everyone. Going straight over to Eugene, OR from here will save us about 300 miles.

Don't know what days people are planning on traveling. We could be in Eugene by Thursday night I believe. That would get us to the track sometime Friday ?

Looking forward to linking up with everyone, either in Eugene or at the track.

Bill and Linda

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
west coast shootout

Bill we could all hook up in Eugene first thing friday morning. That might be easier for everyone. Any thought's? Pat

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Since I live on Highway 101 I'll be traveling south on it all the way down. I will be leaving at 0-dark-30 on Friday the 26th. I hope to beat the traffic congestion through most of the coastal towns until I get to Coos Bay.

Paul

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Since I live on Highway 101 I'll be traveling south on it all the way down. I will be leaving at 0-dark-30 on Friday the 26th. I hope to beat the traffic congestion through most of the coastal towns until I get to Coos Bay.

Paul

I will also be going south on 101 as I am just about fifteen miles off. We will probably leave Thursday and stay somewhere in Oregon Thursday night.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My current plan is to drive over to Eugene, OR on thursday. Then I can either go over to Florence on hwy 126 (very nice drive) or come over on hwy 39 (never been that way) to Reedsport and then down 101. Both these routes make the trip about 770 miles oneway.

From Eugene to Florence is 60 miles, so if I can get my butt out of bed and on the road, I could meet up with some of you at the Hot Rod cafe in Florence, OR on Friday morning ? Good food and hot rod decor, it's great.

Bill

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It would be quicker to head down I-5 to Grants Pass then cut over to Crescent City to 101,,,

101 through Oregon can be a slow drive with narrow twisty roads with lots of slow motorhomes and terrorists,,, a,,, I mean tourists.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just got in touch with Jack Gibbs, he is planning to attend ! The list is getting longer !! :):clap

Bill

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
DQ, the route from Grants Pass to Cresent City is beutiful but it gets narrow and curvy along the Smith River area. I could be wrong since it's been at least 10 years since I've been over that route. There are some great winery's in the Illinois Valley near Cave Junction. :)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
DQ, the route from Grants Pass to Cresent City is beutiful but it gets narrow and curvy along the Smith River area. I could be wrong since it's been at least 10 years since I've been over that route. There are some great winery's in the Illinois Valley near Cave Junction. :)

Sorry, I was just looking at the map,, never been on that road.

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Ok, Phil I won't mention to Candy all the great winerys in Oregon when you two are there. :roll

It looks like we're closing in on 15 "W" powered cars in Eureka. I talked to a local guy who just finished his '58 Impala with the 348 and he may be coming also but doesn't know about taking it down the track. I told him it wasn't necessary but it's available if he changes his mind. There is a car show there at the track that weekend, I think. I will check with Dan Wright there in Eureka.

Paul

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Paul,
just my thoughts........ the 348 & 409 cars that don't want to race should be allowed to park with the racers. If we could all park together it would be better. we will have our own car show. The W's will attract the people.

Dave

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
oh yeah....... don't worry Phil........ I won't say anything to Candy either. Does she have her own email address???????

Dave

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
And Phil,,, I sure won't let her that the BEST wineries are up near my house in Portland!! That woulkd take up a few days outa the way!!