My Intro with my '61 Biscayne Flattop

jparello

Well Known Member
I'm hoping so... Dropped the crank and camshaft in the engine today.. Tomorrow I'll be assembling all the rods/pistons, etc.. Assembled heads today and the only missing link is the pushrods for the valvetrain..
Hoping like hell to get the engine back together and in the car next week..

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Remember the two little rubber wing things that go next to the rear main. You'll know if you forgot to install them.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Remember the two little rubber wing things that go next to the rear main. You'll know if you forgot to install them.

Never seen those with my bbc rear main seals Mike. I never heard of them until reading on 348 / 409's on here. Maybe they were eliminated on the Mark IV??

I know I am late, but WELCOME !!! I was away from the site when you arrived but glad to be back around and messing with my 61 again. What headers are you using?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
only on the 348/409 engine, motor, mill, power plant. You'll know when you forgot them.

Ryan Burman

Well Known Member
I have to say I really like your 61! Pie crust slicks and that color just makes me think street sleeper. Welcome by the way!

jparello

Well Known Member
Well guys.. here are some pictures for you.. Everything is back in place and working the bugs out.. No engine leaks.. No trans leaks.. no fuel leaks.. Runs down the road well and really "GETS"!!! Gonna run the Gibbs BR30 in the engine for another week then change it out for Mystic 15W-50. Car really souds mean.. (disregard the "parking brake"--initial adjustment of the trans linkage left me unable to get into Park..)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Not enough ZDDP in the Mystic 15W-50. Also May be too heavy for a street engine. If you do use it, add a zinc additive like Lucas Zinc or Rislone with Zinc. Nice car by the way, love the flat tops.