My Intro with my '61 Biscayne Flattop

jparello

Well Known Member
Yeah.. the zoo is always a fun place.. And occasionally, i'll stick my hand in the cage-

Thanks for the compliment Dave.. I agree like you mentioned, the care given by mother nature cannot wholly be replicated.. I'll hold onto it in this fashion for a while.. No one will ever have the same paint job as me!

jparello

Well Known Member
Well.. I think those can be replicated at Wal-Mart.. :)
I've got a full NOS quarter for the passenger side of my '61, that I'm not going to use at this point that I got off of Ebay about 8 years ago.. There is a 'garage scrape' on the passenger quarter--it can stay for now.. :)

jparello

Well Known Member
Okay.. So, here's a late catchup for you guys.. Here's how the '61 is sitting right now. I need a solid trunk floor/well now to replace the one in my car.. Anybody got one they want to surgically remove and send up for an implant?
-John

Attachments

• front valance hammered and dollied July 21, 2011.JPG
    front valance hammered and dollied July 21, 2011.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 5

jparello

Well Known Member
Okay.. down-sized some pictures for y'all.. If you look at the one picture with the trunk well.. Looking for a replacement / donor cut about 1" beyond the ridge at the top for replacement.. Hope someone has one!! Getting close--and the rearend/tires/ are all apart for when one arrives to weld it in..

Attachments

• posi rear July 21, 2011.JPG
    posi rear July 21, 2011.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 9
  • drivers side July 21, 2011.JPG
    drivers side July 21, 2011.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 13
  • front valance hammered and dollied July 21, 2011.JPG
    front valance hammered and dollied July 21, 2011.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 8
  • front plate and bumper July 21, 2011.JPG
    front plate and bumper July 21, 2011.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 10
  • bottom of trunk well.JPG
    bottom of trunk well.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 10
  • new.JPG
    new.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 13
  • passenger side July 21, 2011.JPG
    passenger side July 21, 2011.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 11
  • trunk well.JPG
    trunk well.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 9
  • right front July 21, 2011.JPG
    right front July 21, 2011.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 9
  • inner trunk well.JPG
    inner trunk well.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 9

jparello

Well Known Member
Thanks Mike.....
Someday it'd be great to throw a 409+ in my '61.. I think this forum will help me get there!

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Thanks Mike.....
Someday it'd be great to throw a 409+ in my '61.. I think this forum will help me get there!

Hmmmm? A good home for a block of mine? Keep us posted from overthere and take care
Robert

jparello

Well Known Member
Well.. My dad was gonna start the work on the driveshaft.. And--somehow it was missed when he pulled it out originally.. But, the original center support bearing is kinda bad.. What do you guys think? Can it be reused?? :-)

picture.php

and the front u-joint.. it's a new design maybe?? :-)

picture.php

I think I'll go with one of the Inland Empire units.. Everyone else say the same thing?? I already purchased the IE T-6 Billet center support bearing-might as well finish it off, huh?

jparello

Well Known Member
Alright.. So, the decision is this.. I'm going to go with an Inland Empire unit. What is everyone else running under their car? I'm thinking of doing the 1350 performer upgrade in the 502 unit that they offer for the 58-64 cars. Looks like a nice piece with the trans yoke, and larger center support bearing.. I'm going to need the front driveshaft portion shortened 8" approximately-- however, on the pinion yoke--should I stick with the stock pinion yoke that came in my '64 P-Case?
Any help here would be extremely appreciated..
(I remember coming across a thread talking about this--but I can't find it now..my apologies..)

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't think you can get a larger yoke for the factory rear end. You can get an adapter U joint that fits the 1350 driveline and also fits the 1310 sized factory yoke.
Here's one... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCN-348/ Inland Empire also sells them so you should be able to order the driveline with one in it already.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I like the plan, John, sounds a lot like mine. Well, some of mine is original!!!

jparello

Well Known Member
driveshaft is in.. Car should be on the ground this weekend.. My dad sprayed the exhaust with some high-temp aluminized paint (cheap stuff for rust-prevention)--I'll try to get pics this week.. I'm finally back in the states!

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That's a neat car. I wish my was more original. I used my for a daily driver about 10 years ago with a 348:D

jparello

Well Known Member
Well, here we go guys.. She's on the ground..

picture.php

picture.php

I'm going to debate over the whitewalls up front now I think.. they look huge!!

jparello

Well Known Member
Well.. I basically sorta forgot about this forum after returning from overseas.. So, here I am finally.. I am just gonna put up some pictures of the car which I took back in October when I was passing through Iowa.. The car is still at my dads shop and hopefully in a few months I'll be driving it back to Illinois.. I just need to find a truck to use to haul back my '62 Falcon as well..

Just for a narrative with the pics.. I spent some time beating on the rear valance panels which came out real nice.. I also pulled the rear one-piece bumper for re-chroming.. It's done now and looks perfect.. I straightened out the far passenger side tail light panel as well while I was at his shop.. It looks much better now.. Anyway, here are the most recent pics..

100_1669.jpg

100_1670.jpg

I have a new ful pan for the trunk well, just needs to get welded in..

100_1672.jpg

100_1673.jpg

100_1674.jpg

100_1675.jpg

100_1676.jpg

100_1677.jpg

100_1678.jpg

100_1679.jpg

100_1681.jpg

100_1682.jpg

100_1683.jpg

100_1686.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice, I really like those back tires. Looks pretty solid, maybe clear coat it as it?

Don

jparello

Well Known Member
Don,
thanks.. I like the rear tires, and the whitewall thing.. I'm 50/50 on that now.. But--no big deal as it is.. The plan will be to get all the interior stuff, and all fresh rubber.. I have to re-chrome the front bumper.. But, I'll re-spray the original seafoam green.. I'm currently stuck re-storing (horrible, i know..) my '65 Suburban that I stole outta California this past fall.. It jumped the restoration priority line after the cylinder head gave out.. Now, it's in full body-off mode.. :-)

What I started with...

IMG_0063.jpg

and where it's at today...

100_2373.jpg