Lifter noise-Chasing the noise- Round 4

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

But I’ve had a long talk with my fingers and we’re going to check it 3 revolutions.​

Exactly what does that mean????????

Summit sells these, don't know if they work.
Jeff

"OEM Automotive Tools Rocker Stoppers 25050"​

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

But I’ve had a long talk with my fingers and we’re going to check it 3 revolutions.​

Exactly what does that mean????????

Summit sells these, don't know if they work.
Jeff

"OEM Automotive Tools Rocker Stoppers 25050"​

I have a good dose of neuropathy and sense of feel is diminished, I really dig that tool thank you

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Now I’m thinking just order these and do it live, my hearing is good if I have my hearing aids in, lol old age…my idle speed off high idle is at about 600 rpm, so, adjusted at low rpm at idle, should be best from what I read.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

It got down to 90 today so I opened it up… this the noise I’m hearing on a couple cylinders. Is it just loose still? Is there supposed to be a guide in the block that has tighter tolerances. I know someone sees what’s going on, I’m all ears??

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1: Yes it looks loose. Does that one clatter when idling? When you are jiggling it side to side I think the main noise I hear is the pushrod bouncing off of the sides of the pushrod guide machined into the head.
2: That paint on the inside of the engine is BAD! If the oil filter does not get it, it can clog up lifters and trash bearings.
Jeff

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
1: Yes it looks loose. Does that one clatter when idling? When you are jiggling it side to side I think the main noise I hear is the pushrod bouncing off of the sides of the pushrod guide machined into the head.
2: That paint on the inside of the engine is BAD! If the oil filter does not get it, it can clog up lifters and trash bearings.
Jeff
Thank you Jeff. Yes I agree and confirm all that noise is coming from exactly there.

I don’t know if it does while running I have the valve cover on. But I hear it at idle all the time.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Jeff
I thought the same thing on the paint. A video of engine running may help too.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My guess is that a lifter that is properly preloaded will not rattle/be that loose. That is their job to eliminate slack. But if you have one that is to loose and it is somewhere on the lobe other than the base circle it will/may seem ok.
Jeff

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Rockers and head appear to be dry, could just be the way it comes through in the video.
Can you verify that every rocker is getting ample oiling to top of the rocker?

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes every rocker gets oil, this engine runs fine , it’s this. Sound I cannot get rid of, I’m sure it’s adjusted wrong, 4th time will be winner winner

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you look at the procedure on our site vs other WAYS of doing the procedure, they really vary, but I think the end results are the same. Or are they???? I’m going to follow this procedure this time, that’s on the tool box suggestion.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I’ve changed these two times, and I think soon to be a third time. You get them set, car sits in garage 6 mos, fire up car, lifters are dry from sitting, then you have the biggest problem of am I truly setting them correctly? OR am I trashing them? Advanced auto, just ordered me a third set to have here if I decide 3 rd time is needed. Put them in dry so I can watch the plunger come barley off the lifter top clip spring. That’s why it’s my hobby, keeps me active.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hydraulic cam, I think the book says 3/4 of a turn from when the tappet stops clacking. I do them running and I usually go only 1/2 a turn, never had an issue with this process, I made my own open cover to do it with out a messView attachment 149166
I have junk pair, does that tall sidewall catch oil well? My oil was trying to shoot clear over fender, or are you laying something over top to block it?

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The “made in china” on the box might be your biggest problem. There has been a serious decline in flat tapper lifter quality. And made in china almost assures it. There is only one manufacturer of 100 percent made in USA lifters. Johnson. Even those that claim made in USA are only partially made here. Remember only 55 percent of a product has to be made here to claim made in USA.