Lifter noise-Chasing the noise- Round 4

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So, I have adjusted my lifters 3 times now, I still hear some noise.
I have one valve cover off and most rockers still feel good but 2 mechanically noisey, no problem there, adjust, done.
That is enough to take another crack at it.

I will say because I am new to the motor somewhat, I think they are noisey motors, that being said, I do not believe my engine is anymore noisey than the next motor, but im doing a few upgrades, so might as well see if I have developed a better finger calibration, and truly understand what 0.50 is.

I have tried 3 or four different versions or the CORRECT way to adjust, meaning the order, or no order depending on the method used, do you guys like the every 90 degree method, or the procedure on this site following the firing order, intake/exhaust method?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I had what sounded like lifter noise (ticking) on my 62 impala 327/300 HP motor -turned out it was the pulleys on the crankshaft
were loose.
My local good local car repair shop friend used a set of ear phones to find noise -found it was pulleys loose.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Good responses guys, most of these has been checked and double checked, my biggest thing im fighting I think is ME......
It seems to me these motors have some noises of their own, and i dont want to hear it, so i keep tinkering

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yeppers. I’m already of mindset I’m adjusting it ONE MORE TIME, then I can force myself to live with it there is NO lack of performance, although until I’m happy with this, I’m still babying the motor. I think my starting this particular post is for me…. A chance to hear how other guys prefer to adjust. I’ve tried all 3 methods I know of. I feel it is very close, and the issue is ME, my fingers. I have neuropathy and it’s tough to feel any type of precision type feelings. But I think slight adjustment is in order. I’ve made my mind up I’m going to try the firing order method again, because in my mind that’s more accurate. But this sounds at least this good now using the 90degree method, which was a method used after the 1st attempt at firing order method. It has to be my adjustments, not Being correct is my thoughts, so hang on to my feet I’m headfirst down the engine again. After this 100 degree weather.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In the old days we set hydraulic lifters with the engine running. Made quite a mess but it worked. So with the engine running you backed up the rocker nut until the rocker was clattering then slowly tightened it down until the rocker just got quiet. Then more tightening to set lifter "preload".
With this method, because of the ratio of the rocker (stock 1.75), 1 full turn of the adjusting nut (3/8-24 thread) will preload the lifter .065"
Jeff

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
In the old days we set hydraulic lifters with the engine running. Made quite a mess but it worked. So with the engine running you backed up the rocker nut until the rocker was clattering then slowly tightened it down until the rocker just got quiet. Then more tightening to set lifter "preload".
With this method, because of the ratio of the rocker (stock 1.75), 1 full turn of the adjusting nut (3/8-24 thread) will preload the lifter .065"
Jeff
Bingo, Jeff, What a much gooder way of saying it. I think in my ajustments no matter which method, a 1/4 turn can represent under or over adjustment easily. especallly if your working from the wrong (feel) zero lash, in my case.

So I am going to try to give it the good old, 4th attempt, and set it and drive it. It could be driven now, but it deserves one more shot for sure.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
What procedure are you using to adjust? How much preload have you added after zero lash? Adjusting hydraulic lifters is not rocket science. Just follow the rules and you shall be fine. Give us a rundown how you adjust one cylinder of lifters. Just trying to build a picture on what is going on.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I agree those are nice, I bought an old beat up pair for $10 they are junk, but I might try that process, adjust while running , those push rod really throw the oil. I have a very good looking engine bay, hate to sling oil everywhere, especially on my Doug’s Try Wi ceramic headers, how would you get that burnt oil off that??

My process has been different all 3 times, this time I’m going to try to follow E/I method that I tried on 2nd attempt.

I think all 3 methods would work, if giving and understanding the ZERO lash starting point. I think THAT is where I’m screwing up, not starting my 3/4 turn preload at the correct zero lash. But I’ve had a long talk with my fingers and we’re going to check it 3 revolutions, if that don’t get it, I’m cutting these tins up and going live with it