'61 Biscayne 348 stroker resto rod

sycsteve

Well Known Member
If I go with comp Cams valve springs does anyone have a part number I should go with. Think my shop to worried about his big dollar race race engines. Told them I'll look it up myself so I don't have to wait.

Last edited:

sycsteve

Well Known Member
The manager from Auto Machine the shop that has my engine say the valve springs I have in the Edelbrock heads will work and should be fine.
Anyone have a different opinion or experience running them?

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Hi Steve, welcome to the club!
Nice looking '61 you have too!
I have a 348 in my '59 Impala, looking at converting her to a 409. I have a thread here titled "Converting a 348 into a 409".
So you say you bored out your 348. Mind me asking how much? I am looking at boring my 348 block to a 409 block and I'm trying to find out if that is possible...
Thanks.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Steve,those springs are with in the lift range as advertised by Edelbrock,HOWEVER,have the installed height.and pressure checked and adjusted as necessary.There have been numerous posts about the pressures being all over the place!Most guys with the higher reving ,higher hp engines say DO NOT run them.A call to comp will tell you what you need in a higher quality spring.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi Steve, welcome to the club!
Nice looking '61 you have too!
I have a 348 in my '59 Impala, looking at converting her to a 409. I have a thread here titled "Converting a 348 into a 409".
So you say you bored out your 348. Mind me asking how much? I am looking at boring my 348 block to a 409 block and I'm trying to find out if that is possible...
Thanks.
Jackie,Steves 440 inch 348 comes from a .060 over bore [4.185] and a 4 inch stroker crank/In order to increase the bore size in a 348 to the 409 bore size[4.3125] you'd need to bore the engine .187 oversize.Most,but not all 348 blocks simply can not be bored out that far.Even those that do don't have enough material left for a future rebuild.That's why so many of us go the stroker route for extra power.

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Jackie,Steves 440 inch 348 comes from a .060 over bore [4.185] and a 4 inch stroker crank/In order to increase the bore size in a 348 to the 409 bore size[4.3125] you'd need to bore the engine .187 oversize.Most,but not all 348 blocks simply can not be bored out that far.Even those that do don't have enough material left for a future rebuild.That's why so many of us go the stroker route for extra power.

Wow, how do you get a 440 c.i. when it seems impossible just to go with a 409 c.i. because of the overbore issue...

Yeah, I'm now thinking about going down the stroker route now. :D :burnout

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
You can stroke a 348 with a 409 crank, a 396/427 crank, or a 454 crank. Each one gives you a bit more cubes, and thus the other factor becomes the bore size. Best to sonic check your 348 to see just how far you can safely bore. Some of the later 348s (1963-4-5) allegedly have a bit more "meat" in them and might be good candidates for that larger bore.

My 348 stroker is based on the 409 crank, BBC rods and custom Ross stroker pistons. I calculate 380 cubes for that .60" over block with a 409 crank. That works for me.

Good luck!

TomK

'59Imp

Well Known Member
I don't want to hi-jack Steve's thread here so I'll keep it short and simple... I have a better thread that goes into further detail (Converting a 348 into a 409). I titled it that when I was still looking at converting over to 409 which I have now learned is impossible... Now it goes into detail of hopping up my 348.
Thanks for the info about how to stroke a motor. Cause I had no clue!
I believe the 348 is a '59.

Does it give you a good amount of horsepower the 348 stroker you have set up?

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I don't want to hi-jack Steve's thread here so I'll keep it short and simple... I have a better thread that goes into further detail (Converting a 348 into a 409). I titled it that when I was still looking at converting over to 409 which I have now learned is impossible... Now it goes into detail of hopping up my 348.

Not sure what your budget is but you can get an aluminum 409 block for $5200 now. I'd have to look it back up but I found one on the Internet.

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Yeah, that sounds spendy for me.
I'm more looking at doing a good hop up job on the 348 I have now, including stroking it.

sycsteve

Well Known Member

I bought everything for the rotating assembly from show cars. I'm figuring around 500h.p.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Steve,those springs are with in the lift range as advertised by Edelbrock,HOWEVER,have the installed height.and pressure checked and adjusted as necessary.There have been numerous posts about the pressures being all over the place!Most guys with the higher reving ,higher hp engines say DO NOT run them.A call to comp will tell you what you need in a higher quality spring.

I read the same thing on Chevy talk. I just wanted to be sure from some other sources Better safe that sorry sense I've spent this much.

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Show Cars has a good selection of W engine parts I found out.
500 hp sounds great for me!
7k sounds spendy for me though; I guess I will have to fork out the money though if I really want to do this project which I do...

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Show Cars has a good selection of W engine parts I found out.
500 hp sounds great for me!
7k sounds spendy for me though; I guess I will have to fork out the money though if I really want to do this project which I do...

You should be able to build a mild engine for less. I just went a little overboard with forged parts and rods. Just short of a race engine. The have cast rotating assembly that are half the price.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I beg to differ,with all due respect.All of the stroker kits in the 434 range are all forged assemblies,and there's no way that you'd want less in a 400 [if that high] plus horse power engine .