'61 Biscayne 348 stroker resto rod

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have those on my blower motor. Should work well, and they fit under stock covers to boot.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
It doesn't take much Leo! Definitely helps to be part of the "In" crowd. Shortly after I joined the first time I was posting some pictures I had taken years ago in the Jr. Stocker thread. Seems they have a limit on how new the cars can be, like no newer then 1964 or 5. I posted a late 60s car. That cost me my first log in. One time I asked a guy question about something he had to sell. Seems they have a rule about no one posting on a For Sale thread but the originator, only allow PMs to the seller. That was number two. I got a message from an administrator one time and questioned his meaning. Next thing I knew that login didn't work any longer. I just keep my mouth shut and read the the "For Sale" thread now!

:roll:laugh:roll

Sounds almost exactly what happened to me. I resigned up In my girlfriends name and somehow they figured out what I did and cut me off under her/ my account too. Stupid.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I have those on my blower motor. Should work well, and they fit under stock covers to boot.

Nice. I don't think I'm going to keep the stock covers on this build but good to know. A blower would be cool. My nephew and his dad keep telling me to put a turbo on it.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard, lots of knowledge here and a great group. Your in the right place for W interest. Very nice looking Biscayne.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I was also wondering if the rocker studs in the Edelbrock heads are sufficient enough for a build like mine? I don't plan to push it to it's limits but after what I have spent so far I just want to be sure it won't have a failure because something like a stud giving out. If they are not does any one know how long they are? The heads are at my builders shop.
Any preference on push rods for a high lift roller engine? I have read about some issues with push rods for these heads. I still need to buy a new oil pump too. I am going with a stock pan or maybe the 6qt one from Show Cars.

Last edited:

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I was also wondering if the rocker studs in the Edelbrock heads are sufficient enough for a build like mine? I don't plan to push it to it's limits but after what I have spent so far I just want to be sure it won't have a failure because something like a stud giving out. If they are not does any one know how long they are? The heads are at my builders shop.
Any preference on push rods for a high lift roller engine? I have read about some issues with push rods for these heads. I still need to buy a new oil pump too. I am going with a stock pan or maybe the 6qt one from Show Cars.
Valve train stability is your best friend in any high HP engine T&D shaft rockers are the best you could do for these heads and then no need for guide plates but you might have to open the holes a little but no big deal

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Valve train stability is your best friend in any high HP engine T&D shaft rockers are the best you could do for these heads and then no need for guide plates but you might have to open the holes a little but no big deal

Are shaft rockers possible with these heads? I already bought the Comp Cams Pro Magnum XD rockers.

sycsteve

Well Known Member

I was also curious if there is a need for an electronic fuel pump instead of the mechanical one? My builder says It's not necessary with a 750cfm carb but I was thinking about trying the efi at some point after I get the car done.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Steve,How many rpm are you planning on turning this engine,what valve spring are you using,how much lift is projected? As to the fuel pump,EFI and carbed pumps are different.Unless you want to buy 2 different pumps,I'd say stop and study which efi system you want to use.EXAMPLE;Both Edelbrock and FITech have a feed system that allows you to use a fuel injection system with no modifications such as running a return line,to the car at all.In that case a simple mechanical pump on the engine would allow you to do either.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Steve,How many rpm are you planning on turning this engine,what valve spring are you using,how much lift is projected? As to the fuel pump,EFI and carbed pumps are different.Unless you want to buy 2 different pumps,I'd say stop and study which efi system you want to use.EXAMPLE;Both Edelbrock and FITech have a feed system that allows you to use a fuel injection system with no modifications such as running a return line,to the car at all.In that case a simple mechanical pump on the engine would allow you to do either.

I was planning on setting the Rev limiter to 6500 or less to be safe. I was going to use comp cams springs and the lift is 558 valve lift.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
While the T-D rocker stuff are indeed excellent parts,I don't see the need to spend all that money on a 6,000 rpm hydralic roller cammed engine.As far as the studs go,the parts you've already paid for will be fine.The cam you have,on a 440 inch ,large port and valve engine will be "Done " by 5.800-6,000 rpm anyway. This cam will have,in this package,tons of low-mid range power without having to spin it too the moon.Just right for a heavy street car.

Last edited:

sycsteve

Well Known Member
While the T-D rocker stuff are indeed excellent parts,I don't see the need to spend all that money on a 6,000 rpm hydralic roller cammed engine.As far as the studs go,the parts you've already paid for will be fine.The cam you have,on a 440 inch ,large port and valve engine will be "Done " by 5.800-6,000 rpm anyway. This cam will have,in this package,tons of low-mid range power without having to spin it too the moon.Just right for a heavy street car.

Thanks Don. Didn't think I needed anything that extreme. I'll probably be spinning the tires to the moon for the most part any way.
The EFI setup will be a thought for the future.