'61 Biscayne 348 stroker resto rod

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Hi I'm building a '61 Biscayne with a bored and stroked 348, Edelbrock large port heads, Eagle crank, K.B Icon 10:1 pistons, Cloys molly rings, Eagle H beam rods, Bullet roller cam and lifters 585 lift 110 deg separation 4-7 swap, Clevet race bearings, Pertronix flame thrower igniter II ignition. Muncie M21 4 speed. Not sure what I want for a rear gear yet either.
Not sure what rockers I can use on the Edelbrock heads yet and haven't decided weather to go with block hugger headers or other. I like the block hugger look though.
Any help with the roller rocker fitment and brand would be great and I'm sure I will have more questions as I move forward, thanks.
This unfortunately is the second 348 I have built because I got ripped off on the first one. First by the guy I bought it from and then by the guy I had putting the short block together. The block was cracked and he put the cam bearings in wrong and my new builder says he put the rings on upside down and never did any machine work to the block. Lucky for him he is out of business and I cant get ahold of him.
Been adding pics to my build on photo bucket. They are all over but have not had time to upload or organize them all.
http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/sycsteve/library/61 Biscayne

Attachments

• 20150913_175046.jpg
    20150913_175046.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Sorry to hear of your bad luck, but glad you are on the right track now. I have run Scorpion rockers on my iron heads for years with no trouble. I also have a set of Comp Magnum rockers on another iron headed motor that has yet to be run. Either are good choices. I believe the block hugger headers cost quite a bit of power, I would go with Dougs tri-y headers. They fit great and would match your build well. What inch are you now? What induction are you using? Will this be a cruiser, or street strip?

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Sorry to hear of your bad luck, but glad you are on the right track now. I have run Scorpion rockers on my iron heads for years with no trouble. I also have a set of Comp Magnum rockers on another iron headed motor that has yet to be run. Either are good choices. I believe the block hugger headers cost quite a bit of power, I would go with Dougs tri-y headers. They fit great and would match your build well. What inch are you now? What induction are you using? Will this be a cruiser, or street strip?

I want to go with steel rockers. The Edelbrock heads have 7/16 studs but wasn't sure if the BB Comp ones would work or not. The cam is a 585 lift 110 deg separation 4-7 swap. Was looking at the Comp Pro Magnum XD rockers. I saw good and bad posts about fitment of Doug's Tri Y headers on Chevy Talk so I wasn't sure about them. It should be around 440c.i. and around 500 H.P and f.lb torque if my math is correct. I'm going with a single carb Edelbrock intake and probably a Edelbrock 750 cfm carb. It will be mostly for cruising and having fun. May bring it to the track a time or two just to see what it will do long as I don't blow it up.

Last edited:

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The Dougs Tri-Y headers fit the engine and chassis well even with the clutch linkage and canister filter. The Scorpion rockers are a good choice. Good for a lot of street use and the track.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
According so some of our forum member's recent posts, the Dougs Tri-Y headers will fit the engine and chassis so well that you will need help installing them. The reason, they will fall on the floor while you try to get the bolts started. Plenty of clearance all around. The consensus on this forum has been that block huggers are comparable in flow to the low performance cast iron manifolds. The 425 hp cast iron manifolds would be a nice choice if not for the cost. Looks like you are building enough of an engine with premium parts that it would be a shame not to top it off with real headers.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Nice pics of that Biscayne, thanks for posting. Sorry to learn of your previous attempt, I bet you're going to like the current one with the stroker 348 :).

Cheers! TomK

sycsteve

Well Known Member
According so some of our forum member's recent posts, the Dougs Tri-Y headers will fit the engine and chassis so well that you will need help installing them. The reason, they will fall on the floor while you try to get the bolts started. Plenty of clearance all around. The consensus on this forum has been that block huggers are comparable in flow to the low performance cast iron manifolds. The 425 hp cast iron manifolds would be a nice choice if not for the cost. Looks like you are building enough of an engine with premium parts that it would be a shame not to top it off with real headers.

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing while trying to make my decision on what exhaust to go with. That's the feedback I was hoping for from people that have experience with building these engines.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I was wondering if you had to be a member for any length of time before posting parts for sale? The Hamb kicked me off a few years ago because they claimed I was only on there to sell parts and they were very rude and didn't like what I had to say to them. I have some 348 parts I want to sell to help fund my build. Already on criegs list but don't get many call from there if any at all.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I am at the Hamb and stay pretty quiet. Most everyone there can seem to sell stuff, but my posts get deleted. I must not be with the "in " crowd.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Cool thank you. I have been trying to get this car together for way to long. Partly my fault but mostly because I work as a residential Electrician and got had by a con men. Things are getting better and hope to get this thing running soon. Did a frame off all body work and paint done by myself with a little help from the girl friend.
Need to organize the pics but there are a bunch on my photo bucket.
http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/sycsteve/library/61 Biscayne

sycsteve

Well Known Member
This cars gonna be nice! What are you planning for a transmission?

I have a 64 Muncie M21 4 speed I need to rebuild. I had a T5 but I don't think it would hold up and not sure if it would marry to a 348 bell housing. Was looking at T56 trans too. Found one for $1400 but think I'll do the 4 speed for now.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I was wondering if you had to be a member for any length of time before posting parts for sale? The Hamb kicked me off a few years ago because they claimed I was only on there to sell parts and they were very rude and didn't like what I had to say to them. I have some 348 parts I want to sell to help fund my build. Already on criegs list but don't get many call from there if any at all.

I am at the Hamb and stay pretty quiet. Most everyone there can seem to sell stuff, but my posts get deleted. I must not be with the "in " crowd.

Yep! I stay quiet too. I've been thrown off three times. :yikes Screw those "A"holes!

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It doesn't take much Leo! Definitely helps to be part of the "In" crowd. Shortly after I joined the first time I was posting some pictures I had taken years ago in the Jr. Stocker thread. Seems they have a limit on how new the cars can be, like no newer then 1964 or 5. I posted a late 60s car. That cost me my first log in. One time I asked a guy question about something he had to sell. Seems they have a rule about no one posting on a For Sale thread but the originator, only allow PMs to the seller. That was number two. I got a message from an administrator one time and questioned his meaning. Next thing I knew that login didn't work any longer. I just keep my mouth shut and read the the "For Sale" thread now!

:roll:laugh:roll

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I Just sold some Belair trim moldings yesterday and would like to buy my roller rockers this weekend.
The Comp Cam Ultra Pro Magnum XD 1.7 ,7/16 rockers will fit the Edelbrock heads for sure??