'59Imp

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Hello to everyone here on the 348-409 website!
I am happy to be a member here.
I am a "gearhead" lady- I have grown up around classic cars, mainly Chevys, my whole life since I was born in 1996 so that makes my life 19 years of living with classic cars.
My name is Jackie. I live in Mountain Home, Idaho, U.S.A.

So here is my life story of growing up with classic cars...
I grew up with my dad, and before I was born, my dad owned a 1967 Chevy Chevelle SS. My dad's Chevelle was truly a project car. The car was parked out at a storage shed, and I remember going out to the storage shed with my dad to work on the Chevelle to try to get it running and on the road. Finally, in 2010, we got the Chevelle running and on the road and were able to drive the car home. The car is parked at home now.
My dad also another 1967 Chevy- a 1967 Chevy El Camino. This car is pretty much just a daily driver. Do a bit of work here and there to it, that's about it.
And why my username is '59Imp?
Just a couple weeks ago, my dad bought another car, a 1959 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe.
The car needs work, and this car is me and my dad's project to work on together.
The car has a 348 engine in it, I am not sure if the motor is original in the car or not. The car has an automatic transmission in it. The car does run and drive. The car is not street legal yet because of the fact there is some issues with the wiring, and the car needs a new windshield.
Currently, the car's color is primer gray on the front end, original paint Gothic Gold on the rear, and original paint Satin beige on the stripe where the car says I-M-P-A-L-A and also on the roof.
The interior is original, but in bad condition. The interior color is the original copper color. The seat upholstery is torn and faded. The seat springs are in bad shape, along with the seat foam. The carpeting is completely gone, and currently you can see the floorboards. The floorboards are in good shape and I don't see any rust there.
Good things about the car is the facts that the car is complete with all the trim there, etc.

Jackie.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome to this great site Jackie. That sounds like a neat project you have there. We really like pictures here!:welcome

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love to see the younger generation coming along to keep our old classics on the road!!!!! You'll love it here!!!!!

Thanks.
And I am happy of it to be part of the younger generation that's into keeping the good old American Classics on the road! :)
And I am already starting to really like it here! Some really nice people here I am finding out.

'59Imp

Well Known Member
:welcome2 That car looks like a great project. Keep us informed with photos as the project progresses.:)

I will do that. What is next on the list is to get a new windshield. Don't know if you could see it from the photos or not but the current windshield is badly cracked... Its not street legal that way- soon as the cops saw you with that badly cracked windshield they'd pull you over in a heartbeat...

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:welcome2 Welcome Jackie. That is a very unique color combination. I like it. It looks like you found a very solid and complete car. You and your dad will have many good memories of it one day. Posting pictures is pretty easy here. Just click on "Upload a File" and it will open a window for you to open your pictures from. It's usually best to post them as a Full Image too. Looking forward to seeing it better.
My brother's first car was a '67 Chevelle SS 396/TH400, and my dad had a '67 El Camino with a 350 / 4 spd that I drove a lot. Fun cars.

'59Imp

Well Known Member
:welcome2 Welcome Jackie. That is a very unique color combination. I like it. It looks like you found a very solid and complete car. You and your dad will have many good memories of it one day. Posting pictures is pretty easy here. Just click on "Upload a File" and it will open a window for you to open your pictures from. It's usually best to post them as a Full Image too. Looking forward to seeing it better.
My brother's first car was a '67 Chevelle SS 396/TH400, and my dad had a '67 El Camino with a 350 / 4 spd that I drove a lot. Fun cars.

The color on the car (except the gray primer) is original 2-tone Gothic Gold and Satin Beige. We plan to restore it back to the original look.
Thanks for the advice on how to post photos.
It is going to be a long time before it is 100% complete because it needs A LOT of work.
Here is just a few things wrong:
Bad wiring.
It looks like at one time the car has been in a real bad hailstorm because there is small dings all over it.
Bad interior.

Cool to hear about the 2 '67's.
Yes- they are fun cars.
My dad's '67 Chevelle SS has a 396 and a 4 speed in it. By the way- the car is a TRUE SS! Not a clone. :)
The El Camino has a hopped-up 305 with an automatic in it. My dad bought it that way from a previous owner of the car. I have gotten the chance to drive the El Camino.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome, and a really neat rare car you have there. You will find everyone here will be very helpful on whatever you need answered. I had a 59 El Camino for quite a few years.

First advice, get a shop manual and an assembly manual (ebay or many old chevy vendors have them), you will need the 58 shop manual, the 59 shop manual supplement, and the 59-60 assembly manual. The windshield in a 59 has some weird little drains, make sure you replace them when you get the glass replaced. The manuals will be very helpful for that sort of thing.

Great you have such a solid and complete car to start with and that gothic gold is a nice uncommon colour.

Don

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome Jackie. Great group here :hugand lots of info on the "W" engine. Get in / strap your self down / always keep your arms & legs inside at all times and enjoy the ride.:clap:clap
:crazy:cheers

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Welcome, and a really neat rare car you have there. You will find everyone here will be very helpful on whatever you need answered. I had a 59 El Camino for quite a few years.

First advice, get a shop manual and an assembly manual (ebay or many old chevy vendors have them), you will need the 58 shop manual, the 59 shop manual supplement, and the 59-60 assembly manual. The windshield in a 59 has some weird little drains, make sure you replace them when you get the glass replaced. The manuals will be very helpful for that sort of thing.

Great you have such a solid and complete car to start with and that gothic gold is a nice uncommon colour.

Don

Thanks.
I know that this car is rare. We were very lucky in finding it, and I am very happy that we bought it before someone else did. I am very happy with the car, and I plan to keep the car forever.
Glad to hear that the people here will be very helpful with my questions on the car.

I plan to get a shop and assembly manual today. I ran into quite a few problems yesterday that I couldn't figure out while working on the car.
So it looks like quite a few things I need to order then...
So I am looking at ordering from Eckler's Late Great Chevy. This would be the 1st time I will be ordering from them. Are they a good company to deal with or is there a better company out there to order from?

For the windshield, I was planning on ordering from Auto City Classic because I found them to be the cheapest to buy a windshield from. Are they a good company?
Also for the drains, where am I supposed to get those? I haven't found them...

I plan to restore the car back to original. I just found out even more about the car and its rarity: you say Gothic Gold is a uncommon color. Thanks for the information. Even more reason to restore the car back to original.

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Welcome Jackie. Great group here :hugand lots of info on the "W" engine. Get in / strap your self down / always keep your arms & legs inside at all times and enjoy the ride.:clap:clap
:crazy:cheers

Thanks.
Glad to hear about the great group here and all the info on the "W" engine. It is our 1st time owning a 348 W engine and we have still some unanswered questions about it...