555 heads with double notch 011 348

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I'll know Saturday, DonSS is going to pull the intake of his 348 with 333's. When we know we will post the results. Then the info for 555 heads will be known so everybody can stop wondering. I will also do a CC test on the double notch before and after bore to get an accurate CC reduction # this will tell us how it affects compression.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
409, It didn't come with the 12. I have the original 10 but put it aside, so I could put some power in the car without tearing it up. I added the extra upper control arm that 12's have to keep it on the ground. It's a genuine Canadian SS and it has options you normally didn't get in the US versions like block heaters and rear window defrosters

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
And! I have a really heavy foot that won't stop until the go fast limit is obtained! Lol!

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Exactly why I'm changing everything! There is no "super" currently in my super sport!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
You are going to enjoy the torque that thse "W"s put out :) :) :).

Get all the advise you can, and keep on making good decisions!

TomK

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 333's are date coded 233 and 241, here's a pic with the intake off Tim.

411989541.jpg

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
So far so good Tom! We are getting the info on the 555 heads and go from there, I'll have the only 66SS around here with a W:guitar:happy!!

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Here are the intake And exhaust port measurements

Last edited:

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The big difference between 817/333's (and maybe the 1147's), and 379's and probably these 555's isn't so much in the port opening dimensions. It's in the depth and width of the bowl directly behind the valve face. It is easy to see the difference if you have the different heads to compare.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Buildit, there is lots of room for bigger valves. There is pic back farther in the post. My friend Don SS is measuring the openings on his 333 heads to see if they match the 555 tomorrow. If the do Don J says to work the heads with big valves. There is no chambers in the 555 heads like the 333. Hoping for the best. Tim

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Here are some pics of various 348 heads:
IMG_0435.JPG
From left to right: 333 ; 379 ; 857 (truck heads?) and an 1147

Let's look a little closer:

IMG_0438.JPG
Above are the 333s and a 379

and here is the 857 (pretty nasty condition) and the 1147:

IMG_0437.JPG

Cheers!
TomK

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Having the bowl volume behind the valve is more important than the valve diameter increase, although the diameter increase helps too. I wouldn't put any money into the heads if they don't have the deeper bowls. The 333's are cheap to buy, but their chambers make your compression problem even worse. Just my take on it.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I took .060 off of my 333 heads and came up with 6 or 7 cc on the chamber, helps alot.:brow

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
So Buildit, what can I show or measure on these 555 heads so you can know what to do with them?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Tim,What he's saying is to compare the "pockets" or "bowls" directly under the valves.If other than the slightly smaller valves,every thing looks the same,modify away.This is when compairing them to the 333 head.