348 Oil Filter Adapter

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
There is no prooblem with eliminating the by pass but as Mike said it won't work for what you're doing unless it's made for 67 and eariler blocks.

Gold348

Might be better to install a remote filter

@1958 delivery I looked into doing that. It could work, but would create more clutter in the engine compartment and add complexity. The boat rides pretty rough, so I'd have to check the hoses frequently to ensure they're tight and all that. I usually try to stick with a "simpler is better" mentality, so trying to stick with just the filter and an adapter. Appreciate the suggestion though!

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
@1958 delivery I looked into doing that. It could work, but would create more clutter in the engine compartment and add complexity. The boat rides pretty rough, so I'd have to check the hoses frequently to ensure they're tight and all that. I usually try to stick with a "simpler is better" mentality, so trying to stick with just the filter and an adapter. Appreciate the suggestion though!
Call this man he might can help you Guy Mancini, 410-751-6464. He is a machinist and very familiar with that product as he sells these to resellers.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I have a 90 deg spin on oil filter that came off of one my 409 boat engines if interested ?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I have a 90 deg spin on oil filter that came off of one my 409 boat engines if interested ?
That could be the best option for him as in my experience back in the day the stringers usually got in the way of everything. The offshore riggings could make better use of the 90 degree one as they were a true deep vee. Mercruiser made a great remote oil filter pad assembly but fitting the “adapter” to an early block might be a challenge. Heck we had to use top mount starter bellhousings. All of my experience is with I/O rigs so the X dimension never changed so the motors really couldn’t be moved. On the flat bottom V drives I think you can move the motor depending on the configuration of the V drive crash box.
Robert

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
@1958 delivery I currently have a spin-on adapter, but believe it's the culprit for a leak I'm having. It was on the engine when I got it, so not sure what it is. The engine is in a boat, so the adapter is not easy to get to or look at. I also have clearance issues with the bottom of the hull to contend with, so compact size is important. I plan on pulling the current adapter to see what's in there and wanted to prepare for possibly replacing it, so created this thread. If you know of any good spin-on adapters, I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.
Just curious, did that boat come from the factory with a 348?? I've heard of 409's in some. Thanks, Carmine.

63impaloligist

Well Known Member
Thanks, 37-4D. Can you explain the pluses and minuses for not having the factory bypass and using Ford-style filters?
No unfiltered oil goes to the engine unless the filter itself is plugged. Then the filter bypass opens. We would never let our filters be on our engines long enough to clog. So, I fell better using the PH8A spin on setup.