Edelbrock VS 690 heads

Shesrealfine

Supporting Member 1
Anyone had any experience with the Edelbrock heads vs the 690s ? I did a search here and didn't come up with an answer. I see they make 3 versions-for hydraulic rollers, flat tappet, and a polished version(gonna paint them anyway). I'm building my 425 hp 409 from my 814 shortblock and want a strong running basically stock reliable engine. Haven't bought heads yet. Looks like the prices are about the same for the Edelbrocks and rebuilt 690s. I do like the weight savings with the Edelbrocks. Looks like the Edelbrocks are back ordered which is no problem since I won't start on the engine until next year.
What are your thoughts ?

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I can't speak on performance differences but its getting real hard to find a good set of 690 or 583 cores to start with, most have been pretty used up. If you do find a good set and after you pay for all the parts and machining you will easily exceed the cost of a new set of Edelbrock's and then there is the weight saving's. If a good (as determined by a competent person) set just happens to fall your way at a good price then I would consider using them, if not go with Edelbrock.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Some of these guys are getting A LOT of power out of the 690/583 heads, but it is a product of a lot of skill, knowledge and experience. And they are still iron.

Edelbrocks out of the box are OK and aluminum, they have had minor QC issues like guide plates, etc. There are also hand-ported and CNC options for these to make them better.

You might want to add BWR (Bob Walla) heads to your list, they are very nice and you can talk directly to Bob to get precisely what you want/need. I think I would start here...

I'm not sure what Carl McQuillen currently has available, but he also has some very nice heads.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I went with Edelbrocks on mine. WAY lighter!!! I want to think 36# a head and much better airflow out of the box than a pocket ported 690. Mine had no quality issues and a slightly bigger intake valve to match the bigger throat was used. The stock Edelbrock valves are the equivalent (and possibly made by )Ferrera 5000 series. If using a roller need 6000 series. Used a custom Manley for the length on intake and a Ferrera 6000 Pontiac 1.77 exhaust valve cut down to 1.72 on the exhaust. Bob was just starting his heads when I did my motor.

Last edited:

Shesrealfine

Supporting Member 1
I'm leaning toward the Edelbrocks at the moment. I have emailed Bob and Carl to see what they have ( nothing on websites)
Still waiting on members who use the Edlebrocks. Thanks Skip Fix.

Thanks for all the answers.
John

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Can you find Edelbrocks in stock anywhere right now? They have been mostly out of stock on everything as a result of their corporate movement

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Carl uses edelbrocks unless you go with his z12 stuff that he makes. I had him do a motor for me and we got bare edelbrock heads and put better parts in them to get away from the quality issues that were mentioned above. Also for what I was doing with my motor about everything would have needed to be changed to different springs and stronger valves anyway.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I agree to explore all your options, if you’re going back to stock without having to do any performance modifications to them.... I don’t know how you could beat the Edelbrock‘s ....but I don’t know what Bob has to offer on a base model head...... I do not have a running motor, but I bought the bare Edelbrock castings and had aftermarket bigger valves and springs installed in the heads along with the porting and hand blending by Nick Smithberg Racing (aka....”Bossman”) but I am looking for more than just stock performance I guess......One thing I’m not able to take in the consideration is with the inflation that’s going on right now the cost of everything is going through the roof I’m not sure where they are on pricing anymore.....But I do believe you should order them now...... whatever decision you make , so that you’re not paying next year’s prices......Good luck

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree to explore all your options, if you’re going back to stock without having to do any performance modifications to them.... I don’t know how you could beat the Edelbrock‘s ....but I don’t know what Bob has to offer on a base model head...... I do not have a running motor, but I bought the bare Edelbrock castings and had aftermarket bigger valves and springs installed in the heads along with the porting and hand blending by Nick Smithberg Racing (aka....”Bossman”) but I am looking for more than just stock performance I guess......One thing I’m not able to take in the consideration is with the inflation that’s going on right now the cost of everything is going through the roof I’m not sure where they are on pricing anymore.....But I do believe you should order them now...... whatever decision you make , so that you’re not paying next year’s prices......Good luck

I think "next years prices" happened last year:scratch

Shesrealfine

Supporting Member 1
talked to Carl mcQuillen. he said Tom Glieb from Buffalo had a set of 690s for sale not long ago. Is Tom on the board here ? Anyone know how to get in touch with him? thanks

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm running a set of Edelbrocks on the 09 truck block that is in my four door. Using cast pistons, only for cruising and an occasional burn out. I didn't have any 690s or 583s available to me when I built the engine and I never had a 09 before this one. So I have no idea how they compare, but I have not had any issues in the past 9 years(had to look that up. Can't believe it's been on the road that long.)

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
"Carl uses edelbrocks unless you go with his z12 stuff that he makes. I had him do a motor for me and we got bare edelbrock heads and put better parts in them to get away from the quality issues that were mentioned above. Also for what I was doing with my motor about everything would have needed to be changed to different springs and stronger valves anyway. "
What the majority of the Pontiac guys do. The springs are not great usually singles on E heads. I don't think they had bare ones when I bought mine.

"You're going to spend more rebuilding 690's then buying brand new " What a lot of the Pontiac guys have figured out also.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm leaning toward the Edelbrocks at the moment. I have emailed Bob and Carl to see what they have ( nothing on websites)
Still waiting on members who use the Edlebrocks. Thanks Skip Fix.

Thanks for all the answers.
John
Bob's aren't just better but they are also cheaper, better quality and he picks up the phone and talks to you directly. See if you can get one of Edelbrocks engineers on the phone to ask a tech question. I have tried. Call Bob. 219-798-6358