(312) 63 Impala

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Joe,
Glad that Jason had a good frame for you. Nice guy and he has always been very fair on prices. Like I said you could hit the powder coat shop with a rock from Jason's shop, you will be happy I am sure with how it turns out. My 58 frame was REALLY nice to start with so it turned out really good. If you go the soda blast route just make sure that you wash it really well after blasting as the sodium bicarbonate will leave a film on. After washing it you can use a product called hold tite 102 it removes the film and then will allow you to epoxy prime the bare metal. There is a shop over here that does soda blasting called Stowe Auto Body he is extremely difficult to get a quote out of though he will always say its time and materials. I had mine chemically dipped to clean all the metal and it went back to get re cleaned 2 weeks ago and will get E-coated after. I will post up pictures when its back. I have several pictures on my photobucket account of the first time through the tanks. Would have liked to have gone to Spring Jefferson but I have been working 7 days a week for the last 3 weeks so I haven't had any free time.

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Again, I cant thank you enough. The frame is at CPC in Crest Hill. I spoke to Dave this morning. They are swamped, but I hope to pick it up next week. I spoke to Stowe Auto Body, as they were recommended by another member. Seemed to really know his business, the only problem for me is that they are pretty far from me. They were also a little more than some other places I spoke to. I think the proximity to me is more of a deal breaker than the cost. I think I will use a local shop to media blast and epoxy coat the shell.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Joe
Just Thought I would check in with you and see how the frame came out. I know Dave gets swamped over there and he hates to turn any work away so sometimes it takes a little longer. I picked my car back up from the dippers and E-coating, doing some final touch ups on the underside of the floor boards and hoping to get them painted next week. Bottom will be painted to look like red oxide primer but will actually be basecoat clear coat with flattner to make it appear as original. photo 1(37).JPG photo 1(37).JPG photo 4(20).JPG photo 1(37).JPG photo 4(20).JPG photo 5(16).JPG

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ragtop,
It looks fantastic! I appreciate you checking up on me!
I had a very interesting experience with CPC, but in the end, everything is working out. I can't thank you enough for hooking me up with Jason from 815. He is a man among men. He really took care of me with the frame and with my dealings with CPC. Like I said, it is all good now. In fact, I took the body down to Dave a couple of weeks ago. I still have to get him the fenders, core support and control arms. I believe Stowe's and another shop down there are all contributing to getting the body and parts stripped and primed. I have the finished frame in my garage and it is beautiful!
In a week or so, I need to run the remaining parts down. Would you care to meet up? I would like to see your '58 and I share my story with you. I need advice on a few things as well.
Feel free to call/text. 312 859 9879
Thanks,
Joe

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Joe
Glad to hear its all working out. I will text you tomorrow and let me know when you will be coming down my schedule is pretty flexible and my car is less then 2 miles from Jason's shop & CPC. Glad to help out and see another Impala getting back on the road.

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I wish I had an update for you. Truth is, I was told by Dave, from CPC, that it would be ready by the beginning of September...then October. Now, I have no idea. I'm not upset though. I am getting used to the idea of, "You get it back when you get it back!"
In the meantime, I have plenty of "life things" to keep me very busy. When the time comes to roll up the sleeves on the '63, you guys will be right by my side.
Thanks for asking!
Joe

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Joe,

I will be going by to pick up some brake drums this week I will try to light a lil fire under him.

Chris

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Chris. Again, I'm not bent over this, just disappointed that there is just poor communication.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Joe,
I stopped by today to pick up some brake drums I had dropped off and I asked Dave how yours was coming along he said they were going to strip the body last Saturday but since it was raining out he didn't want to do it while it was raining. He said the other parts were done. He said he was hoping to finish it up this weekend. I will say he is busy both concrete driveways and the entire front lawn were all covered in all kinds of different parts being dropped off. Hopefully it goes well.

Chris

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well...5years later...not nearly as far as I would like to be, but making headway. Same old story, life/family obligations are priority.
Here is where I'm at. I removed and kept the original floor pan for the small parts I will need from it. I'm getting close to installing the new floor pan from Show Cars. The outer rocker panels a excellent, the inner brace is good, except for the "bullet" shaped piece at the front of the inner brace. Is this piece reproduced? I would need both driver and passenger sides. If not, I believe I can make them. Thanks, Joe1963 inner rocker brace.jpg

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Well...5years later...not nearly as far as I would like to be, but making headway. Same old story, life/family obligations are priority.

Know how that goes!! Highly annoying. At least you’re still at it tho! Neat car black/black 327/3 on the tree:good

Why’d ya cut the floor out?? Looked solid for the most part in the pics you posted a couple years ago:dunno

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pictures can be deceiving. The floors had a few holes in them and were also very thin. Animals lived in the car for 40 years using it as a bathroom.

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well...a couple more years have passed. I have made some progress recently. The one-piece floor pan is installed! I did need to disassemble it in order to get it in, but it all worked out. I replaced both body mounts above the rear wheels. Epoxy primed and painted the underside of the car.
Painted the dash. Seam sealed and painted the trunk and floor pan.
I also started to work on the frame. Welded in the GW frame supports and pan hard bar frame extension. I also boxed in the lower control arm braces. Starting to mockup the rear end installing springs and control arms.
I would like to thank members on this forum who have been helping me out along the way. I sincerely appreciate your guidance.
Pictures coming!