Truck Engine Rebuilds

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Gabe, the head gasket that comes with the regular FelPro engine gasket set will be about .040 to .042 thick when compressed. That will work just fine. But if you really want to get the perfect amount of piston to head clearance thinner steel shim style gaskets are available. Just exactly what the perfect "quench" (piston to head) distance is depends on who you talk to, but I've noticed that the experts are quick to point out that a large bore engine, like a 409 requires a little more clearance to allow for piston rock. Some suggest .010 of piston to head clearance for every inch of bore as a safe figure but I think you should be able to go as low as .035 if you're carefully to make sure you've got that on every cylinder. I have no experience with the cast pistons but if they end up being somewhere close to .010 from the top of the deck when the engine is assembled that would be fine because they say that if you can get the quench distance down to about .055 or less your doing good. But if you're going to end up with more than .055 you can go with the .022 steel shim gasket...
3575S4 409 Steel shim head gasket embossed .022... Ea. $24.00
3575A Head gasket sealant spray... Ea. $9.95
The sealant might be worth getting too because the thing gasket will be more likely to leak.
Keep in mind though that most guys would just use the thicker gasket that comes with the kit and never give it a second thought so the engine would be just fine that way. The main advantage of optimizing the quench distance is that it reduces the chances of detonation and will give you a little bit more power.
I should also point out that Aubreys pistons are designed to come up the top of the block. So the quench distance comes out just right with the standard FelPro gasket.

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
Jim-

Thanks for the work up on the truck 409. My 65' short block is on the truck to me now. I think that I am going to use the 350 hp build. Since I do not have a set of 333 heads I may use the new (I Know don't hate me for it) edelbrock heads. I am not a drag racer and just want a nice street able car.

I am sure that as I go I will have additional questions, but wow you guys are a wealth of info.

Once I have it built I will post some dyno numbers for you.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don't feel bad about using the Edelbrock heads. They will do a great job for a cruiser and getting 350 HP will be a snap. One big bonus for us street guys is that they have hardened seats in them, which are pretty tricky to put into a factory head. They'll run forever on todays gas.

rumor has it that you're better off to buy the heads bare & install your own valves & springs........ for one thing----that way you can get the proper spring for your application......... and I've heard that Edelbrock keeps the price down by using cheaper valves & springs.

I think it's a good choice if you have to buy heads. IMO the BWR's are better but you don't need them for your plans.

.......... again it's all just my opinion.

Dave

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I like Dave's opinion. Personally, I would love to have a set of Edelbrock heads on my street motor. Good tip about the valves and springs. Edelbrocks pushrod sets are comprised of 8.650 and 9.00 lengths. I think , no, I know, I would measure for your particular engines pushrods. One size does not fit all. Good luck with your build. :cheers

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim, I think its great you done all that for us members here:bow:bow:cheers.. Since you didn't do the original post until AFTERI built mine:takethat at least now I know I did a couple things right. We'll also see how my 379 heads work out with all thework I put into them with the BB valves and porting. If I ever put it together.
Ray

spike 409

Thanks Jim

Jim,just found the buildup for 300-450 HP truck engines. Awesome job !!! Thanks for all the information. Spike 409

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Spike, Keep in mind that these buildup suggestions are based on using the small port low performance and truck heads. There is a lot more power potential available by using either factory large port "high performance" heads or aftermarket high performance style heads. I think 450hp would get a full size Chevy into the high twelves. You'd probably need slicks though.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Duder, if you have any questions fire away. My motor is pretty basic but it runs well. Here is the vid of the 473hp dyno pull. It sounds pretty good

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Duder, if you have any questions fire away. My motor is pretty basic but it runs well. Here is the vid of the 473hp dyno pull. It sounds pretty good

I remember the day well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But probably not as well as you do Jason!!!!!!!!!

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
WOW, thanks for sending this thread to a newbe, you have given me alot of information and encouragement to build my truck block and heads.
Keep the faith.
Howard

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Just about all the answers that are needed for somebody getting started with 409s.