Tennessee 409-er

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hello fellow 409 fans and owners!

I'm in processing of re-restoring my 1963 Impala SS 409/425. Car has been in family since new. Had a frame-off resto done in early 90's in MO (pic attached).

Other than body, paint and motor work I did almost all of the other work over 5 years. Car was a Super Chevy class winner in 2000.

Unfortunately, all the work I had done by the "professionals" didn't hold up.

The car has sat undriven for 5 years so this summer I started what I thought would be a "refresh" job. The lacquer paint had checked pretty badly so I found a resto shop in TN. Told them to strip to bare metal. Unfortunately, we found far too much bondo, so some new repo and NOS sheet metal was installed.

Also found original engine rebuild wasn't done very well so I took motor to Lamar Walden for rebuild.

Completion is about 4 to 8 weeks away (I think).

Attachments

• 63 Chevy Impala SS small.jpg
    63 Chevy Impala SS small.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 15

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
welcome , best of luck with your prodject keep us posted with your progress

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
'Happen to have a shot of linkage after I pulled motor in June but before resto. 'hope this helps.

Attachments

• carb linkage shot.jpg
    carb linkage shot.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 9

Brent Hall

Supporting Member 2
I have it hooked up very similar to the picture above and it seems to be doing fine. I drove it down the road to for the first time the brakes were very squirrely. I have a disc brake kit for the front but I haven't had time to install it yet. One thing I did notice was when I press the brake the engine starts to increase in rpm's. Does anyone know why.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I have it hooked up very similar to the picture above and it seems to be doing fine. I drove it down the road to for the first time the brakes were very squirrely. I have a disc brake kit for the front but I haven't had time to install it yet. One thing I did notice was when I press the brake the engine starts to increase in rpm's. Does anyone know why.
Sounds like a vacuum leak

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
What part of the great state of TN.are you from? I'm going home to n.Ala.for Christmas in a couple of weeks.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
70 mi.west of knoxville,toward Nashville on 40? I travel I-66,I-81,I-40,I-24 from "squirrel city"[dc area] to Chattonoga on my way to and from Huntsville,Ala.,Maybe we could meet for coffee.