spring carlisle show

vin 58

Supporting Member 1
I was looking at the info page on the net and noticed that there's no on site parking? I've only been to the GM show. So if you have to be shuttled in and you have some big or heavy purchases what do you do? :dunno Vin

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Vin, parking is all around Carlisle.Just outside the gates there is all kinds of paid parking,but get there early,usually about $5.00-$8.00 for all day.Used to be boys scouts would work and help you take stuff out for a small donation,but I believed they stopped that practice.I always take a wagon,or a two wheeled grocery cart.Lot of people take hand trucks in with trash cans attached to them to put items in.Good luck,happy hunting,and what day are you going? John

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Vin,
To the best of my knowledge there are no shuttles into the fair grounds unless some of the local hotel/motels run their own. There is a lot of parking all around the fair grounds. Parking in private yards has become a small industry in Carlisle in fact. The main road into town from the turnpike is Harrisburg Pike. If you follow that into town you will see Cavalry Road on the right. There are a lot of people offering places to park along that road. I usually go all the way up Cavalry Pike to the where it crosses the turnpike. The National Guard Armory is on the left and has a gate directly into the fair grounds. If you get there around 7 AM you will park real close to the gate. Also if you're a veteran or military retiree they will park you free.

If you buy some thing large you can either have the boy scouts bring it to one of the gates or get a pass (15 or 30minutes or something like that) to drive in abd pick up your purchase.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Took me 8 minutes longer to type my response then it did John! :roll I didn't realize the boy scouts quit delivering.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Vin your hauling it to werever you parked. For real heavy/big stuff they will let you bring your vehical on the field to pick it up but not without jumping though hoops. I always try to park in the field across from the main enterance or in the Natoinal guard field in the back by the Turnpike. That way if you have to go back to your vehical for any reason its not to far. On that Note who's going this weekend I'll be there Sat morning, cover as much as I can on Sat and then finish up on Sun. morning. Will be there Sat. night if anyone want get together. Ken

vin 58

Supporting Member 1
If I go down it'll probably be sat. Anyhow I saw that bus service on the carlisle event site and it runs every hour drops off at gate 2 but if I can park across the street that be better. Vin

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Vin,like Dick said,I usually park at the armory as well.Just get there early because if you come 9:30 or so that lot will fill up,take a wagon with you,it will save you a lot of trips and will make the walk a little easier on you.Hope your buying a bunch of goodies for that 58' of yours,by the way hows it coming along.Post some pictures when you get a chance.Sorry to hear your not coming to the Ocean City Cruise this year. John

bobs409

Administrator
I once had a big order to pickup from Ausleys Chevelle. I was able to drive my truck in but had to leave a $60.00 dollar deposit and my drivers license at the gate. They allowed me one hour but I was in/out quick.

I take a hand truck with a large rubbermaid bin tied to it and it works out well. I usually leave with it loaded to the top and me pushing it for 5-8 blocks. :D I've got my list all ready for tomorrow. The cart and myself should get a good workout...

Bob

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I always park just outside Gate 7 on Calvary St. next to the fence. No hills... Be early!!!!!
robert

bobs409

Administrator
Whew! I'm back. That was a workout as usual. :yawn:

Got a parking spot about 3 blocks away this time. Place was quite busy too. Lots of nice cars there. I only got to see about 70% of the place and that was walking almost non stop for 4.5 hours!

Saw a pair of 690 heads but no price on them. A 348 block & heads, no price on it. Other odds & ends. I'm not in the market for any W parts so didn't bother waiting around to see how much.

It seems like almost all the cars I saw were already sold. (lower field) I didn't even get to the upper field this time.

Oh those interstates! I'm just lucky to be alive. I hate driving on those! :cuss I was going about 70 or more the whole way and still getting passed continually. :eek: Hit a traffic jam on the way down & on the way back. Arghh! My truck is a clutch so pull out, stop, pull out, stop. This went on for at least 20-30 minutes both times. Top speed: 15mph! :bang

In addition to some parts I got at Carlisle, I also got a busted windshield on the way down thanks to an 18 wheeler flying by. I'd be really pissed if I wasn't already planning on replacing it this summer. :evil Just glad the rock didn't hit my new $300 dollar grill surround. (71 Chevy C20)

So I got most of what I went for. L & R rear stepside fenders, tail gate, body/paint supplies. I found a set of dog dish caps for the 68 4 door. :D Still couldn't find a rust free passenger side 63 fender. I need one to match a mint condition original I bought about 12 years ago! :rolleyes: I keep finding driver side fenders. :doh

I found a B&M star shifter with cable for $10 dollars! Couldn't pass it up. Will go on ebay. :deal

That's about it. Was fun once I got there but VERY glad to be home. I'm staying in my garage today, far away from I-81. :D

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Bob:
Sorry to hear about your I-81 experience. 81 is known as the truckers route even as it heads down into western VA; allot of Ray's buddies on it. Ray are you on 81 this week???
robert

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i always park by the John Deere place, about 1 block away, take a truck and $500. about all i ever buy is my way in, a sausage and a drink. so, i quit going a few years ago.
one time, i had to pick up a set of new cragars and a set of new tires, the wheel dealer gave me the parking decal he was supposed to put on his truck, we put it on mine instead and drove the fairgrounds freely to pick up tires and other items. even came back the next day and cruised right in like i belonged there. probably wont get that lucky again.

have fun guys...........take an umbrella

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Bob: Like you I have bought allot of tires and wheels there in the years. Several years ago a friend bought a set of tires and wheels and while he was paying for them one "got away" and since I was closest I had to run after it and tackle it :eek: before it ran into a car down the hill. very frightening experience! I remember in the early 70's when I was a vendor and there was only the old grandstands and the vendor spaces were only in the front. Might have some pictures
robert

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Robert I'd love to see those pictures as I also was vending at those meets in the early 70's though the 80's. I had my spot in the the first row off the main gate about half way down just before the big dip in the path thats still there. Ken

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Robert I'd love to see those pictures as I also was vending at those meets in the early 70's though the 80's. I had my spot in the the first row off the main gate about half way down just before the big dip in the path thats still there. Ken
Ken: I know right where you were. as I recall back in the early days we used to park against the fence, as our spot was on the edge of the hill going towards the main gate from the old grandstands. That was before Chip bought in front of the old grandstands where the track used to be and as they say the rest is now history. Good to hear from another "oldtimer" I'll look for those pictures as I know I had a bunch of them
robert

348stroker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Whew! I'm back. That was a workout as usual. :yawn:
Saw a pair of 690 heads but no price on them. A 348 block & heads, no price on it. Other odds & ends. I'm not in the market for any W parts so didn't bother waiting around to see how much. :D

I also saw a set of 690 heads Friday, maybe the same set, I ask and he said $3,000, I wished him luck and quickly moved on.:D At Englishtown last week-end was a set for $1,800. :? It was crowded and a lot of nice cars and projects were marked sold. There was a nice original 61 Hdtp there billed as a 350 hp 4spd, but turned out to be a clone. I took a couple of cell phone pictures, but can't figure out how to up load them, :bang guess I'll get the FM out later and figure out how.:dunno

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That would be great Robert. Just got back from there, Was going to stay over to Sunday but it drizzeld lightly between 1:00 and 3:00 and the place just about emptied out:scratch Whats the deal with that:dunno Were people tuffer back in the 70's I remember being there when the paths were dirt and it would pour rain, the mud would be shin deep sucking your boot off your foot. but the place was packed with vendors and buyers undetured buy the weather:scratch Ken

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Ken: We have had to crossed paths at Carlisle. Yes, I remember the mud days and the dirt paths. Remember when guys brought wreckers there to pull us vendors out!!!
Ohhh the good old days! I liked it when everything was on the backside and there were no hills. I do remember when those hills didn't bother me but now I hate them. I wonder why?
robert