Running a Vin

cardinalag1

By having the automatic steering column you have now ruled out the 409. In 62 the the 409 was only available with a standard transmision. The hi performance 327 had some of the same components such as the 3/8 line.
At this point I don't even know if that's original or not but it probably was...what about the fuel line routing?

cardinalag1

Where on the column would the tach have been?? and could someone give me a definite answer on fuel line routing b/c I've heard both ways..Thanks!!

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I believe all 409's and high performance 327's had the 3/8" fuel line in 1962.
The 3/8 line was routed differently from the 5/16" line. The 3/8" line ran under the passengers side "A" arm and ran inside of the center of the X frame, close to the driveshaft.

The tach mounted to the side of the column with two screws, up near the turn signal.

Unfortunately, you almost have to have a build sheet or some other original paperwork to prove one of these cars came with a 409.
Even with all the correct components added, most collectors will still look at an undocumented 409 car as a clone.
As an example, there are far more 61 Super Sports on the road today than there was in 1961 but the really valuable ones are the handful that have documentation.

Regardless of what motor the car came with, a 409 would cool!
Build it, drive it and have fun.:beerbang

cardinalag1

know anything about rocker arm ratios?? mine has a 1.5 rocker arm ratio.

does this mean anything to you......?
CRANE Engineering
SSH-310-NC HYDRAULIC SUPER STREET AND DRAG
ENGINE IDENT -70 CHEVROLET V8 265-THR 400 CU. IN

IT'S SOME SLIP...IT has other info as well

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Brian, Don't you mean under the upper control arm? I'm redoing my 63 and I reassembled the control arms and forgot to install the gas line under the upper control arm. I can't get it underneath the control arm , so i'm going to have to take it back apart.:doh:doh

You don't need to remove the upper control arm to put a 3/8 fuel line under the arm. Put a jack under the right lower control arm and lift the car, the arm goes high enough to install the line.

Bill

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I could take the plate off but i'm worried how that would look. it was definitely an SS but tjat would mean that it would have at least had a 327 in it, right?

OK I don't always follow these but you say it is definitely an SS but your first post says "Hey folks. My name is Phil and I have a 62 bbl top". If this car is an SS it is not a bubbletop or if it is a bubbletop it is not an SS, it can't be both?

Bill

Greetings,
I have finally got around to getting registered as a new member to this website.

My name is Steve Lerman and my Dad who just recently passed on was Abe Lerman.
We grew up on Long Island and I remember my Dad's racing days from the 1950's at Westhampton, Islip, National Speedway (where I worked with my Dad) and all over the East Coast and California in the 50's,60's and 1970.

Abe ran the tech line at NYNS and that's where I started, then moved into the tower as an announcer for NYNS from 68-70. As my brother Mike and I go through alot of our Dad's stuff, we're coming across old Drag Times, Drag Line and other awesome articles, papers and phoots that eventually I will get posted on the web to share with all the old timers from the NY drag racing scene.

My Dad had a variety of cars, a street roadster (A roadster class) that back in 1958 was the mph record holder at Westhampton at 124 mph. Better days were my dad's 57 Chevy's (SuperStock) and his last one a 57 Wagon that some turdball stole from his friends shop in 1963 after my Mom fried the engine and tranny in that wild 1963 April snowstorm in Long Island. Took my Mom 3 freaking hours to drive from Freeport to Hicksville in the car that day. The car was ripped from his friends shop a few weeks later.

I am still looking for that car and hope that I will find it. That car won all over the east coast. I remember getting it torn down in York PA after my dad kicked everyone's butt at that track.

But anyway, I am excited to see this website and hope to meet some of you guys at least on line in the future. My email address is COURT412@aol.com. If any of you guys know where any of the old National Speedway crew is on line, please pass along my email address. I know where Jack Olcott and Bob C are, but Ed Eaton and Red Nichols? Also some of my Dad's old friends like Tom Alesi (Andy Panda)? Dang getting old sure stinks but the OLD MEMORIES ARE GREAT.

Thanks for hearing me out,
Steve Lerman
Coral Springs, Florida

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Steve,

Welcome !!! :cool:

Love to hear the old stories/pictures of Drag Racing on Long Island!

Several Long Island members post here.

Have you seen the DVD of Drag Racing on Long Island 1963-1969?

Mike