Running a Vin

cardinalag1

Hey folks. My name is Phil and I have a 62 bbl top and I would like to get some info such as running a VIN to find out what kind of engine it had b/c you see the Accessory code has been scratched off. So please help!

cardinalag1

I could take the plate off but i'm worried how that would look. it was definitely an SS but tjat would mean that it would have at least had a 327 in it, right?

cardinalag1

that's what I ws afraid of. that site VIN decoder only decodes the first 6 of the VIN. What do the other #'s tell me?

cardinalag1

rocker arm ratio

The only other evidence i've found(well, it has a 4 speed) is the rocker arm ratio is 1.5....on the big blocks it's 1.75. I found this info on the CRANE slip??? It says it was a V8

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The rest of the VIN is the number of cars built. really means nothing.

You can rule out what engine was in the car by checking the size and routing of the fuel line. If it is 5/16" and runs straight inside along the frame rail to the fuel pump then it would have been a low hp motor (i.e. I6, 283 or a 327/250) If it had a 3/8" fuel line and went outside the frame rail and under the upper control arm then it had a High HP engine in it (327/300 or 409)

Only way to somewhat confirm if it had a 409 in it is if the factory ballast resistor is still on the firewall. It would be bolted down with the wiper motor ground strap. The high HP engines requireed a tach on the steering column as well, but could have been added as an option. Also, 4 speed only for these cars as well.

If you have pictures, post them.

cardinalag1

fuel line

i think it's the 3/8 fuel line but it's hard to tell n pics wouldn't tell much but it's out back so i'll go look

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 3/8" line was a 3 piece line that went through the driveshaft tunnel. The 5/16" line went on the outside of the tunnel.

cardinalag1

tunnel

what's the tunnel..it does go underneath the rocker arm but it splices right by the firewall as it dips down alongside the interior of the frame

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
what's the tunnel..it does go underneath the rocker arm but it splices right by the firewall as it dips down alongside the interior of the frame

That should be correct for a high hp engine. the tunnel is the "X" in the frame and the driveshaft goes through it, along with the 3/8" fuel line.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The rest of the VIN is the number of cars built. really means nothing.

You can rule out what engine was in the car by checking the size and routing of the fuel line. If it is 5/16" and runs straight inside along the frame rail to the fuel pump then it would have been a low hp motor (i.e. I6, 283 or a 327/250) If it had a 3/8" fuel line and went outside the frame rail and under the lower control arm then it had a High HP engine in it (327/300 or 409)

Only way to somewhat confirm if it had a 409 in it is if the factory ballast resistor is still on the firewall. It would be bolted down with the wiper motor ground strap. The high HP engines requireed a tach on the steering column as well, but could have been added as an option. Also, 4 speed only for these cars as well.

If you have pictures, post them.

Brian, Don't you mean under the upper control arm? I'm redoing my 63 and I reassembled the control arms and forgot to install the gas line under the upper control arm. I can't get it underneath the control arm , so i'm going to have to take it back apart.:doh:doh

cardinalag1

Acc

that doesn't explain why someone would scratch the ACC code off and now that I look at it the steering column for the car used to be automatic and where the shifter pokes through in the top of the floor looks awful suspect as well

cardinalag1

it does look like it has something like that but i can't tell. That I think is just the wiper motor(sort of in the middle but closer to the drivers side) now there's just a ground strap just hanging

cardinalag1

Thank you guys so much for helping me. I will be able to tell a lot more once it is on blocks so I can start working on it..no original engine...don't know about the transmission...

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
By having the automatic steering column you have now ruled out the 409. In 62 the the 409 was only available with a standard transmision. The hi performance 327 had some of the same components such as the 3/8 line.