Rear suspension tech/info needed

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 16
I'm sure I have added weight. The rust wasn't even holding hands anymore. It would be nice the weigh the car, but really doesn't matter. I wanted a safe car. Any of the added reinforcement my help the car work better or maybe not. I'm not heads up racing and know I can't outrun the guys with money dripping off there cars. I race to get my need for speed fix and to peg my fun meter.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
The frame has a upper and lower bolt holes for lc arm front mount to attach to frame. Using the lower bolt hole would that be enough ???

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
I am not sure, to be honest. All of the frames I have ever seen only have the single hole. You want to drop it down about 3", but everything needs to be plotted out to say for sure. Ideal set up is the bolt holes on the lower bar are equal distance from the ground to slightly high in the front, factory set up they point up pretty far. My instant center is around the bottom of the rocker panel.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I am not sure, to be honest. All of the frames I have ever seen only have the single hole. You want to drop it down about 3", but everything needs ro be plotted out to say for sure. Ideal set up is the bolt holes on the lower bar are equal distance from the ground to slightly high in the front, factory set up they point up pretty far. My instant center is around the bottom of the rocker panel.
I can understand how that would help eliminate wheel hop because the axle would be pushing more ahead than the higher point would be trying to push frame upward which would tend to lose traction. That's the way I see it??? I have noticed the z11 cars all seemed to be skuated low in rear and high in front. That was probaly the purpose.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
The high nose position was believed to improve weight transfer, that was the thinking of the time anyway.
It sure did . Back in the day when I had a new 64 ss 409 and raced it I would load up the front springs with those twist in spacers. I noticed right away I did not lose any hesitation so to speak on take off since the horse power did not have to lift the front up since it was already up . I would remove spacers after racing. I only raced two times on track so it wasn't like I did it a lot . Had more spunk those days lol.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 16
All of my mounting points are in the factory locations. I have added the passenger upper arm. Not sure I make enough power for all the extra work of moving mounting points. My car has it's best times when I have tire spin off the line.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
All of my mounting points are in the factory locations. I have added the passenger upper arm. Not sure I make enough power for all the extra work of moving mounting points. My car has it's best times when I have tire spin off the line.
Back when I had the 64 I had slicks and front raised up on it and dumps open getting ready to race next day I practiced coming off line with rpms . Highway was freshly chatted were I lived in country growing up. I came off line and only laid about two feet rubber marks (posi) after moving I folded both front floor mats over had to quit mat got tangled up in my foot petals passenger was folded over also. I count not believe it. Guess that's called a launch. Sure wish I still had that car.

Last edited:

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Car is a stick and I made all 3 arms. First go around was on bald 245 drag radials. Just trying to do a decent burnout on the street resulted in violent wheel hop. This time is on a 315 street tire, rolling into the throttle in 2nd gear when boost comes in the tires get to violently wheel hopping again. I eased back home, kinda disappointed. I figured with 4.10’s and more power it would just blow the tires off.

I’ve got the Global West crossmember braces and control arm brackets on the way. They should be here before my next days off. For anyone that’s curious, Prothane doesn’t sell bushings for one control arm so I had to order a whole kit.
In regards to the original posting, more info is needed, and its really hard to diagnose what is happening without seeing it. What do your made arms look like? Did you move any mounts? Stick cars and radial slicks do not work! Are the tires bouncing or the suspension? After seeing what is happening then you can start diagnosing the solution.

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
In regards to the original posting, more into is needed, and its really hard to diagnose what's is happening without seeing it. What do your made arms look like? Did you move any mounts? Stick cars and radial slicks do not work! Are the tires bouncing or the suspension? After seeing what is happening then you can start diagnosing the solution.
^^^^^^^^^^^

Steve has lots of good info. Helped me.

4Eyedturd

Well Known Member
In regards to the original posting, more into is needed, and its really hard to diagnose what's is happening without seeing it. What do your made arms look like? Did you move any mounts? Stick cars and radial slicks do not work! Are the tires bouncing or the suspension? After seeing what is happening then you can start diagnosing the solution.
Made arms are just straight DOM with the spring perches in the stock spot. I’ll get a picture this weekend as I’ll make the 4th arm. I transfered the original rear end mounts to a 9” and while I’m confident I put them in the original spot, I can’t help but second guess. I never drove the car beforehand so that doesn’t help. Right now with just a street tire I was hoping for at least a smoky burnout but got violent wheel hop. I’ll see if I can get a video

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Good shocks go a long way. Stick cars and radials are definitely becoming more popular and people are getting them to work as good and sometimes better. The clutch, shocks, and power management are key. I don’t have the desire to spend a season trying to make radials work. I’ll stick with bias ply. Plus radials aren’t forgiving on a mediocre surface.