New SS 409 dude...on board!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome to the group. What an interesting thought: The last 409 car Chevrolet built. I wonder if 396 / 409 production overlapped some, or if the next big block car built after yours was the 1st 396 car?

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
It's funny how much a part of one's life old cars can become. I sure miss the old crock! :(

Last edited:

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Welcome to the group. What an interesting thought: The last 409 car Chevrolet built. I wonder if 396 / 409 production overlapped some, or if the next big block car built after yours was the 1st 396 car?

There very possibly could have been, but only if the '65 car was a St.Louis build between late February until the end of March 1965. In other words the cowl tag date should range between 02D and 03D As all Corvette cars for 1965 were assembled in the St. Louis, MO assembly plant, the first shipment of new MK-IVs were all destined for delivery to St Louis for initial installation in these cars first. During the week of Feb 22-26, 1965 The very last 409 and the very first 396 engines were loaded (together) onto a freight train and were shipped via the New York Central rail road system from Tonawanda, NY to St. Louis, MO. Chevrolet managers had already put the word out for dealers to stop taking orders for the 409 by the end of January and simply decided to use up the remaining 409 stock until the entire inventory of them was consumed. No 409 cars were built in the month of April

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi Rockfish,Do you happen to know where that 65 was sold when new? As in,what dealership? Thanks.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Lou:

Glad to learn that you have passed your precious auto to another enthusiastic owner :).

Any regrets?

Just checking, as my wife has been bugging me to sacrifice one of the fleet, she thinks there are too many unfinished projects. Finished products for that matter :).

I hope all is well with you and yours!

TomK

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Hi Rockfish,Do you happen to know where that 65 was sold when new? As in,what dealership? Thanks.
Sure, I know it's complete history. The car was sold new at Courtesy Chevrolet, 2627 Linwood Ave, Shreveport, LA. The dealership later evolved into Chevyland Shreveport. The buildings at the Linwood Ave site were demolished about 4 years ago and a pay parking lot now stands at that location.

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Lou:

Glad to learn that you have passed your precious auto to another enthusiastic owner :).

Any regrets?

There is always regret old friend! The money was needed to pay off the domicile as Im finally retiring. As much good memories that my wife and I both have with it, in the final analysis one cant live in a car... Ill find another '65 someday. Thanks for chiming in pal!

Just checking, as my wife has been bugging me to sacrifice one of the fleet, she thinks there are too many unfinished projects. Finished products for that matter :).

TomK

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Lou.The reason that I asked was that there was one very simular,right down to the color,sold here in Huntsville,Al.by Hill Chevrolet.

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Lou:

Any regrets?

TomK

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
There is always regret old friend! The money was needed to pay off the domicile as Im finally retiring. As many good memories that my wife and I both have with it, in the final analysis one can't live in a car... Ill find another '65 someday. Thanks for chiming in pal! and I hope that yous are well also

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Lou:

Any regrets?

TomK
Tom, If she wins and you just have to make a sacrificial lamb of one of them.....I'd do my best to be a Good Shepherd to that "long term restoration project". ;)

david montanbeau

Well Known Member
Probably the rarest production made 409 and a 62 4 dr that had a power glide 340 HP.
Here is my story.I was restoring a 63 Chev with a 409 in 68. I'm working at a gas station part time at 1.25 per hour. I was looking for a 4 speed trans for the 63. 4 speeds was hard to find back then. A customer comes into the station and said that his friend had one but you have to buy the whole car. The engine had a bad miss and thought the engine was wasted. I go to the guys house in Brightmore MI, A suburb next to Detriot. I lived in Redford Township MI. About 5 miles from Brightmore. Knocked on the door a guy not much older than me answers the door. I said I'm here to look at the car for parts. It's in the back yard with a car cover over it. He pulls the car cover off and it's a 1965 Impala SS convertible triple black. It was a 409-400 4 speed. The car has about 20.000 miles and it was like new. It was sitting for a couple of years meaning it was driven for about a year. He had lost his licence from street racing.
We talked and he wanted 400.00 for the car. It was way out of my budget and held my head down and started to walk away. He said wait! We can work something out because his mom said to get rid of the junk. He said can you do 50.00 a month? YEP! Towed the car away with a tow rope and he even gave me the title. Dad and I fixed the car up and the miss was bent push rods. Sold the 63 and I had the fastest car in high school for a short while. In 1970, I bought a 1962 that was a drag 409 car its whole life. Never on the street. Here is the bad part. I pulled the engine from the 65 to put in the 62.
The 65 picture is from the internet. The 62 was white then painted red. Sold it in 74.

1965 409 (1).jpg 1965 409 (2).jpg 1965 409 (4).jpg 1965 409 (5).jpg 1965 409 (6).jpg 20141120_212437.jpg 20141120_212516.jpg 20141120_212534.jpg Jimbo (2).jpg 2014-11-24 12_55_38-20141120_211722 - Paint.jpg

Last edited: