New Guy

bill frey

Supporting Member 1
Hello, I'm putting a 1965 Impala 327 300HP 4 speed back on the road to glory. I always found it interesting how the things we took for granted as kids are now toiled over and are so important. for me its all the decoding and history of cars from the 60s and early 70s. Who knew ? Anyway hopefully some folks might also enjoy the the research and the BS ing that goes along with it. Look forward to completing this car and fellowship of folks like me who enjoy the quest !

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bill,

Welcome to the site, we've been needing another "Bill" ... Remember to keep you arms and legs inside the ride at all times !!! You have found THE spot for information and friendship. Pictures are nice for those of us myself and Phil Reed, who can't read, so post some soon. Where are you located ?

Bill

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site Bill .:clap Great group here:hug and lots of info on the "W" engine.( Which your ride hopefully will get some time down the road )
Best of luck with your project.:cool:

:crazy:dance:cheers

bill frey

Supporting Member 1
Thanks all, No Im not from the MD area! I'm working in Ohio, and call Massachusetts home this car is keeping me out of trouble here in ohio.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Bill:

Nice car, can we see more pics? I've always liked that body style, and it was the last year for the 409 before the BBC came out (396-427-454).

Having a small block with a four speed is pretty special, is it original to the car?

Where in Ohio are you located?

Cheers!
TomK

bill frey

Supporting Member 1
Tom, thats my goal to get the car to look like that one, I tired to add photos however it keeps telling me they are too big. the engine in there now is a 1969 396 warmed up from a chevelle and I have a M-21 backing it up with a 10 bolt posi and 3:56 all rebuilt. I'm in the Cincy area for now.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Ever think of putting a date coded 1965 409 under the hood? That would be quite special :).

Best, TomK

bill frey

Supporting Member 1
I did think of that ! then I started thinking it's a fake and although i'm not interest in a museum restored impala I do have the original 327 300hp engine needing a rebuild and has some issues with a crack in one of the cylinders. of course it can be sleeved i have the heads crank, manifold distributor and carb, no exhaust manifolds starter or few other do-dads . this is a recently rebuilt 396 didn't dyno it however likely pushing 335-350hp easy! considering Aluminum heads and better intake at some point. Just easier to find 396 parts then 348-409.. I was hoping it was a 409 car to begin with, and was a little disappointed when I found it to be a 327 but its the hot 327 and a true SS 4 speed one to boot!

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard, Bill!
Back in 73 I had a 65 Impala. A high school friend of mine
had a automotive salvage yard (his father's). My friend told me
that they were getting ready to crush a 65 Impala SS, and
told me I could have anything I wanted off it! We'll, I got over
there pronto, and got everything to make my car an SS. Even the
bucket seats. Correct color too (black). No rips !
My car was 327 w/ automatic.

Nice body style. I still like 65's.

Randy

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
:D Welcome Bill if your in cincy you will be able to caravan with a bunch of us to the big convention next year, these guys are crazy
and if your like me this will become your 2nd home just like Phil said, first thing i do when i get home is to check out this site. Great info and deals on everything, really a great bunch of guys to get to know:clap