nana1962409

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hello another new guy here. I have always really liked the 348/409 engines and have always looked on this site for information on them so figured it is time to actually become a member here.
I have a 1962 Impala ss that I have had for 13 years and it's a slow project. When I got it it was all torn down not running with some original paint and two different color primers on the body. Was originally a 327 power glide car but the 327 was long gone and had a 283 in it when I aquired it. I got it running after a carb clean and new points then took it to the body shop to get all painted up (body work is the one thing I really don't like doing so I paid someone else to do that for me). After paint I put in a 350 with a th400 I had laying around and drove it like that for a while. After that I got bored with the small block and converted it to a 468 bbc with a 4l60e overdrive trans with a 9" ford with moser axles and second upper link. It's fun the way it is now but I have always wanted the 409 with 4 speed so I have been slowly collecting the parts for my 409 build. It will be slow going but I will get it done in a few years hopefully!

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Welcome to the "Funny Farm", you will like it here.

W Head
59 Impala 409-2,4s

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks bobs409 and MRHP. On Wednesday I should be picking up heads a crank and clutch pedal to add to the project.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I followed a similar path with my 1962SS car. Bought it maybe 12 years ago with the original 283 and powerglide. Drove it for five years until I roasted the 283 then took it apart to restore it cosmetically. A dual quad 409 (stroker) made it's way into the rebuild, along with a T-10 four speed and a posi. It has been a nice driver for the past seven years. This year I am removing the existing engine and replacing it with a "period correct" 1962 409 engine. It will remain in the family for years to come :).

Take your time, have fun, do the engine sway out, then drive the wheels of it. Once you get that 409 under the hood you'll have a new outlook on life, and your friends will ask you to open that hood with some frequency.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard!

Cheers!
TomK

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom that is pretty much going to be my plan stroker 409 and I have a nodular iron super t-10 to put behind it. Unfortunately as far as opening the hood and showing it off not really anyone my age knows what a 409 is! It's kinda sad.

Last edited:

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks I like the rake as well but it might be less after I go through the front end I have all new springs, shocks, ball joints, and control arm bushings to put in it. The front is the only part of the suspension I haven't done yet so it's pretty tired being it is original and is still the small block springs

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks I like the rake as well but it might be less after I go through the front end I have all new springs, shocks, ball joints, and control arm bushings to put in it. The front is the only part of the suspension I haven't done yet so it's pretty tired being it is original and is still the small block springs

Welcome to the asylum!

Very nice car! You are probably right on the rake being less with the new springs depending on what you got for new. When we did my son's 67 we put big block springs in and that was a mistake. It sat perfect with the small block and original springs but I was concerned that when we dropped the 427 in it would be too much and in hindsight I wish we had put new small block springs in. I am now in the process of taking them out to cut a coil off to get the stance close to where we like it again.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I got the Moog 6004 springs. I will see how it sits after the front rebuild but it defiantly needs it. You can't tell in the pictures but it sits lopsided in the front and drives me nuts even though most people don't see it. If it's too high after the build I will probably do like you and cut a coil and see what it looks like then.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I got the Moog 6004 springs. I will see how it sits after the front rebuild but it defiantly needs it. You can't tell in the pictures but it sits lopsided in the front and drives me nuts even though most people don't see it. If it's too high after the build I will probably do like you and cut a coil and see what it looks like then.
In the years we did frame-offs, and what we would recommend to customer's.....Moog 6004 in the fronts and 6033 in the rear.
Welcome!!!!

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Phil I did the rears about 5 years ago and I don't honestly remember what I put under it at the time I remember looking up wagon springs though to get the stance I wanted.